summer project finally completed - G5420LH EC

THS3171

Gretschie
Jan 20, 2020
Germany
I find it a bit of a shame that the tinkering is over. It was so much fun :D

001.JPG

002.JPG
It's not so easy to get a compensated lefty bridge, so I decided to take a rocking bar

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG
I didn't knew how the result would be until I've seen it. It was my first time working with mother of pearl.
First I planned to take the decals from creative cuts. They look pretty good, but then I decided to try
real MoP. The result surprised me, so that I took it for the pearl shimmer.
There is nothing that didn't work with a Dremel and Superglue (and 40 cups of Coffee) ;)

006.JPG

HypotenusLuvTriangle

Country Gent
Oct 27, 2010
Whittier, Ca
effects-hqg-bzn3aznEbnh28

color me impressed!!

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@THS3171,

That is stunning in every way. I am sure that every sliver, blister and sore elbow was worth it. You should be proud of your tenacity and patience to see the project through to completion.

Jonno69

Electromatic
Feb 18, 2021
Wales
I want to put dynasonics in my 5420,can you tell me how you managed to.install the bridge pickup without leaving a gap?
Oh and also tbe p90 incase I go down that route!
Guitar looks great!

THS3171

Gretschie
Jan 20, 2020
Germany
I want to put dynasonics in my 5420,can you tell me how you managed to.install the bridge pickup without leaving a gap?
Oh and also tbe p90 incase I go down that route!
Hi. It wasn't possible (for me, unfortunately I'm no carpenter or woodworker) to leave it without gap. I glued the Dynasonic on a plastic ring i cut out of pickguard material, a little bigger than the gap to cover it. I took glue to have not more screw holes in the body as necessary. The screws on the edge of the ring are necessary because of the rounded shape of the arch top. otherwise it would stick out.
IMG_20211022_153729.jpg

The Dogear is a little bigger than the Filtertron, so i had to take a bit wood material out of the body. It hurts, but that was necessary.
I bought another P90-Cover and cut it out, but it was just to low, so i put some from the pickguard material like at the Dynasonic under it.
Unfortunately i didn't take any photos of this process. But:
Only real botch lasts forever :rolleyes:
IMG_20211022_153627.jpg

Nevertheless, I am afraid to work with the soldering iron for the G-Brand. This ist thin black self-adhesive pickguard foil. Maybe... someday... has anybody experiences with soldering irons and branding an arch top?

Jonno69

Electromatic
Feb 18, 2021
Wales
Hi. It wasn't possible (for me, unfortunately I'm no carpenter or woodworker) to leave it without gap. I glued the Dynasonic on a plastic ring i cut out of pickguard material, a little bigger than the gap to cover it. I took glue to have not more screw holes in the body as necessary. The screws on the edge of the ring are necessary because of the rounded shape of the arch top. otherwise it would stick out.
View attachment 170042

The Dogear is a little bigger than the Filtertron, so i had to take a bit wood material out of the body. It hurts, but that was necessary.
I bought another P90-Cover and cut it out, but it was just to low, so i put some from the pickguard material like at the Dynasonic under it.
Unfortunately i didn't take any photos of this process. But:
Only real botch lasts forever :rolleyes:
View attachment 170043

Nevertheless, I am afraid to work with the soldering iron for the G-Brand. This ist thin black self-adhesive pickguard foil. Maybe... someday... has anybody experiences with soldering irons and branding an arch top?

That's brilliant and an inspiration as to what I will do with my 5420 now