Suitable roller bridge for G6118T?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Carl Bigsby, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Carl Bigsby

Carl Bigsby Gretschie

My G1118T was born with a Space Control Bridge, which I later replaced with a Compton (SS). But I miss the tuning stability of the SCB, so I am thinking about a ABR-1 roller bridge (or similar), but since I have a 9.5" radius fretboard, I can find a matching roller bridge.

Has any one here found a good roller bridge for a Gretsch with a 9.5" fretboard and a Bigsby?

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’d get an ABM 2400 roller and be done with it. I use these on 9.5” radius necks and it’s benefit is a slightly elevated low and high E strings. This is not as bad as it seems, especially since the saddles are independently adjustable for intonation.

I bought a import Mosrite-style roller bridge that is supposed to be 9.5” radius but it’s very tall, requires a custom bridge base, and generally looks like lots of funky metal for an otherwise pretty nice design. Still haven’t used it, needs about an inch of string height at the bridge.

00321593-3810-4B4D-B8BB-B6502F1E07A3.jpeg

Back in Black likes this.
  3. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Tru-Arc Serpentunes are the best bridge for a Gretsch guitar with a floating bridge base.

[​IMG]

audept likes this.
  4. Carl Bigsby

Carl Bigsby Gretschie

Interesting. ABM is producing some great stuff and I actually wrote to the to ask about a 9.5" version and they could do it but it would have been very expensive.

I am of course concerned about the action when using a 12" bridge for a 9.5" guitar, so it's interesting to hear that you are using it successfully.

5. Carl Bigsby

Carl Bigsby Gretschie

Yes, bar bridges are great for tone, which is why I ordered the Compton in the first place, but I the Bigsby is important to my playing and I need something which makes it stay in tune a bit better when I use the Bibsby.

6. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    BR,

That's a nice bridge, first time I've seen one.

The only downside is drilling the two large holes for the inserts, you can't come back from this, that is, not without plugs and serious re-finishing.

Would probably be a good direct fit on a LP, or a Gretsch with a LP style Tunomatic bridge, that already had the inserts/height adjustment fittings in place.

If I was to use this bridge, I may want to use it in conjunction with a Gretsch ebony base/with the height adjustment wheels in place.

I did a lot of large hole plugging this summer when I put my Malcolm Young ''Salute'' together, fine for this build, with it's well worn relic finish, not so much for an invisible fix. My build would have been a lot easier if the guitar had come with a floating bridge, and a Bigsby, instead of the Tunomatic with large inserts, and the ''V'' stop, with large inserts.

BIB.

DSCF1259.JPG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The Compton bridge should stand up to plenty of Bigsby use without throwing your guitar out of tune. Have you checked the nut? Poorly-cut nut slots are usually the source of any tuning problems, and I find that just about every guitar needs a bit of help at the nut. If you haven't checked it, I'd start there before replacing your bridge.

8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    If your guitar isn't staying in tune with a bar type bridge, and Bigsby use, you have a problem.........and it's not the bridge.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    this is bible truth..

G5422T likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.