Suggest a Pro Line Gretsch for me to GAS over

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Viking Power, May 9, 2021.

1. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

I would go for a used 6120 Keith Scott signature. Had one and it was superb. My actual orange 6120 is as well, but thast one had something

[​IMG]

2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Good luck on your quest. As far as pro lines I only have two. A 6120T-DCH-LTD which is a dark cherry color and has Ray Butts pickups. The other is a 6120T Players Edition which is a 1/2" thinner than the other. Like them equally well.
    We'll be waiting for your NGD thread.

Viking Power likes this.
  3. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    G6120-59LTV
    G6120-Brian Setzer Sig Smoke
    A G7594 double cut falcon.
    Any of those CS penguins.

Viking Power likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  5. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    The G6659TG. I bought mine off reverb and what came is the nicest sounding, easiest playing, best guitar I’ve ever owned. Just got lucky I guess.
    B0688A1B-D7C9-40E5-8BDB-51A66B847311.jpeg 5CB96CA0-AF4B-401B-A450-2782C407A3F0.jpeg

CBHScott, Fat Bastid, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  6. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Electromatic

Dec 20, 2020
    Kansas
    Here's what I'd get.

GlenP and Viking Power like this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Ya can't beat a 6120,imo.

Viking Power, Duo Slinger and mbkri like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    6120 RHH.
    Boom

Viking Power likes this.
  9. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Save yourself cash and buy a used 2005- upward 6120 sslvo or ssu. The prices are ridiculous anymore. A good well taken care of instrument will save you money and you can always upgrade or change pickups . Seltzer models always have TVs in them. If you play more high register I’d suggest a Duo Jet with Dynas for cleaner stuff but if you play with more gain I’d go Duo Jet Filter models

JC higgy, pmac11 and Viking Power like this.
  10. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Wow! Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. I'm glad I posted!

Thanks, I will make sure to try before I buy. I may have to wait around on availability but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Seems like those Broadkasters get a lot of love.

That is sexy. Hard to find I'd guess?

Will do, thanks!

Thanks for the input. Nice Jets! Nice Hofner!

Noted! :)

Man, that is gorgeous! Thanks for the advice. Makes sense to not get another centerblock like I have. Good point.

I will be trying before buying. Too many wise posters are reminding me of that. I won't ignore it. I do have one store that carries some Gretsch that is fairly close to me so it's not impossible for me to get some demoing in.

Dear God! That guitar can rock! Actually was not aware of that model. Thanks for the suggestion.

That is a great looking guitar. They actually have a 1999 model at a store near me. Hope I can get to it before it sells. Very cool.
    Nice! I've gotta check these out. I might like that smaller body.

Cool. I'm not familiar with the artist. I know the name but don't know his music. Nice guitar. Love the color with the sparkle in it.

Noted! Thanks!

There's a 2005 for sale at a shop near me. I need to go check it out. Thanks!

Appreciate that. This makes a lot of sense. I've bought multiple new guitars over the past 5 years and the need for a quality setup every time and the high cost of a new unit has me rethinking my purchase habits. Bought a very used Gibson SG recently and it plays like a dream though looks like hell. I really dig it and I don't have to baby it like it is a museum piece! Thanks for the suggestions.

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    There is no wrong answer here, but Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

12. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Not a Proline, but my 1989 Gretsch Roundup has an incredible build quality, a gorgeous finish feel, a nifty carve, and a universally comfortable neck- not to mention the Western motif fret blocks, headstock, and body brand.

These are the pre- Fender models. They run around 2K for a stock model in Ex- condition.

The other guitar is my ‘66 Nashville 6120. A whole other animal, but similar attributes. 0A808E8F-8E02-4C1A-87A0-281BB317EC68.jpeg

13. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Late to this thread/post but that's about what I paid for my V63 Hofner in 2002. Looking at that pic you posted in my bad guitar tech thread had me GASing for a German Hofner again so I poked around Hofner's site today. The only one I was interested in was the Mersey '62 but I've grown used to neck binding.

But then Hofner keeps coming out with variants often enough I may find one I like sooner or later.

Back on topic for the OP...

I find I can do pretty much everything with my Penguin. Between the pickup switch, tone knob and my pedal board... If I could only have one guitar, I'd get on just fine and I play and write in a few different styles.

GlenP and Back in Black like this.
  14. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    That is cool looking. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll keep my eye out for one.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Penguin. I don’t know what it is about them but I sure am attracted.

15. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    OP here-

I am still pondering and taking in all of y’all’s advice.

I am down to sort of two buckets…
    Bucket 1- Penguin or Jet(6228T or maybe that Roundup if it can be found)
    Bucket 2- Falcon or 6120

I am still keeping an open mind to an Annie or Broadkaster if I find one, play it and fall in love.

Man, just typing this out makes me realize I’m still a long way off from a focused decision.

Still haven’t been able to get to the lone guitar shop in the Seattle area that carries Gretsch. I think getting in there will help a ton. Hope they have a decent inventory when I make it there. I think they currently have a Falcon, Penguin, and a few Jets. Not sure if they have a 6120.

Would I expect to find the same or similar necks on all of these? Would they be much different from my G5622T in the neck shape/comfort? Research is telling me that maybe the Setzer sig models have a snazzy compound radius neck but other than that, I’m not sure what differences are out there. Neck comfort is huge for me.

GlenP likes this.
  16. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    "Neck comfort is huge for me."

That's why you have to play them. So many different feeling necks, based on the model and even the year in some cases.

Viking Power likes this.
  17. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    I hear that. Appreciate the reminder.

18. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's the thing. When you play one, you'll quickly find out if you're comfortable with a hollow body's size, or prefer a Jet/penguin size.

There's a major difference in feel between a 6120 and a Falcon. Now compare either to a Jet, and again, a major difference.

IMO, play a few and zero in on the size comfort. You can then start digging in on certain models with specs that you prefer.

All the best.

Viking Power likes this.
  19. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  20. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Not a pro-line?
    How so?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.