Strymon Volante Panning?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by KreepyTeach, Apr 21, 2021.

1. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Hey y'all, I got an unexpected windfall coming. I wanted to replace my Boss TR-2 and RC-1 with a Volante. I have my TR pedal set to a slow pan in stereo and each output goes to a separate input on my recording interface for a beautiful feeling with headphones on.

How is the panning on a Volante? Will I be able to adjust how far sound will pan to each side as well as the rate or speed?

How does the Volante's sound on sound mode stack against a standalone loop?

Will a dry sound on sound work to keep my drum machine clean as it travels through the Volante to use as a base layer? Thanks!

PXL_20210421_200641404~2.jpg

2. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Anybody got some help?

3. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Not sure about the panning, since I didn't try anything like that when I had one on loan, but I can answer your looping questions. The Sound on Sound Looper is fantastic, but you can't use it like a standard phrase sampler/looper. It's set up so the default is to splice in and continue adding to the loop while everything already recorded steadily degrades. You have to press and hold a foot switch for a couple seconds to keep playing the loop without it degrading, but then you can only play over it and as soon as you splice in to record again things will start degrading again. It's beautiful, actually, but I'd never try to run it like a standard phrase sampler looper or with a drum machine unless I specifically wanted the sound to degrade--which would probably sound really cool. By the way, one of the great things about it is it lets you use all of the delay functions while using the Sound on Sound, unlike the El Cap. You could freeze the degradation of the loop if you only want to loop the drum machine, I guess, but it would be a bit clunky.
    Ultimately, I decided to stick with my combination of Dunlop Echoplex and MXR Clone Looper because I need my looper to work conventionally.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    KreepyTeach likes this.
  4. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Perfect thanks!

Andy Fortune likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.