Strymon Nightsky

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol calling this a reverb pedal is like calling the mobius a trem pedal. Looks amazing but beyond my abilities, I look forward to hearing others make amazing sounds with it.

2. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Cool, but tooooooo many knobs for this simpleton. :)

capnhiho likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Heeeey! You just described most worship guitar players! ;)

4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It seems to be the same Volante size box. And utilize’s the same button types as the playback heads from it.

Considering the Volante and the Night Sky now have that box, I wonder what the next type pedal Strymon releases in it will be.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I can see them doing some more complicated amp/cab sim, building on the Iridium.

Merc likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I kind of expect to see something like the source audio spectrum hit at some point. Now that is a fun pedal!

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'll be honest here , I had 3 Strymon Pedals years ago ............ key word .... " had "

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Didn't like the sound or just too much going on? I really like my Bigsky but I have the sounds I want now in it so I don't tweak much anymore.

9. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just not impressed with the overall product for the price . Cheapest one's start at $299 .( I really believe that most pedals should be half that price and lower ) Just not my style I guess

Bertotti likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can't argue price I tend to think the markup on these is incredibly high especially if it has been in production for a few years.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    As an example : I enjoy my Truetone H2o / Chorus and echo . 2 pedals in one housing . $179 new , I bought mine used ( cheaper , just can't remember price )
    Another great pedal is the Anolog Alien Rumble Seeat . It's 3 pedals in one at $330 . Overdrive , Delay , Echo in one pedal . In fact , Damien Bacci is doing a review on Facebook soon . Can't wait to hear what he has to say as I'm sure he'll be pleased

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea I actually don’t prefer multi pedals. One reason I liked the insert put into the Mystery Brain was I could relocate that effects using the insert. But it could be argued the BigSky is a multi effect and I have found myself wishing I could do something’s with a couple different items but haven’t worked it out. But yes pedals are just to expensive. Most of these modern components are off the shelf and easily obtained. So the cost winds up being production shipping excise taxes and mark up. Lots of markup. Probably not true of the smaller boutique builders but the bigger manufactures with set up production lines shouldn’t need to charge as much as they do.

13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Which ones did you have?
    I have the El Capstan, Deco & Flint and for me they work great. I use the El capstan for my long echos, the Deco for slap back & all types of chorus, flange & doubling, and the Flint for tremolo & reverb on the amps that don't have it on board. I've been very happy with the quality of these pedals.
    I have all kinds of vintage pedals including tape delay but I don't generally use them in my live setup because the Strymon stuff tends to be quieter and more dependable. Tape delay is my favorite form of delay but it can be fussy.

14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Ola , Deco , Orbit . Don't get me wrong , I never said they were bad quality . For $299 and up , I was just not impressed . I even owned a BOSS RE -20 at one time and I was just not happy with that either . I've had lots of pedals of the years , some I regret getting rid of too . But for $300 a pedal , I'll pass .
    ( here ya go ) .... sometimes to me , pedals are like cars . Buy a Chevy or buy a Rolls Royce , sure they got different bells and whistles , but they'll still get you from point A to point B

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Gretschtim1 likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The only Strymon pedal I’ve purchased and played is my Volante. Definitely not cheap but also not going anywhere. When I bought it from Sweetwater, I called to try and get a slight discount. It’s worked in the past to save a few bucks just by asking. The reply I got was that they can with most products. But unfortunately not with Strymon products. However if I wanted pretty much any other pedal he likely could. Apparently there is some sort of price agreement with Strymon as a dealer that prohibits them.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Not relevant to the NightSky but to their most standard pedals like the flint, but I think it is ridiculous that a $300 digital pedal only has one favorite/preset and does not support midi. Imo, if a pedal has more than one basic sound (like 3 trems and 3 reverbs) it needs presets!

17. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Not only that, but where pretty much everything ships for free on Sweetwater, you have to pay for shipping on Strymon pedals.....not a knock on Sweetwater, as I'm assuming all the online dealers have to follow the same practice.

I'm sure they're nice pedals....but I'm not going to pay full price AND shipping for one. (Plus, I'm not a fan of the knobs having dual functions with no real way, that i know of, anyway, to tell what each is set at, while you're on one or the other.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Merc likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    [​IMG]

19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I totally forgot about that shipping thing. But you’re right, I had to pay for it. A bit odd. Only way around sone of this and pay less is to buy used online.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Or buy source audio which is still expensive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.