Strymon Nightsky

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Interesting sounds cool but not sure how big a hit it will be with guitar players. Seems better suited to synth people. That said I sure wouldn’t turn it down if it was offered to me but I’m not rushing out to get one. I do love my bla item and will have to watch a bunch of demos to get a better feel for this one. I wonder what it’s competition is?

2. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Would be too many options for my taste.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm sticking with my BigSky for the moment. It has all the reverb sounds I need.

ZackyDog and gtttrrr like this.
  4. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    This stuff always sounds really cool as far as a "wow factor" to me....and once upon a time, I used to buy these things (not referring to Strymon, I've never had any of their effects units) with all the bells and whistles and weird and wonderful sounds.....paying a premium, of course.....(And this goes for the gazillions of plug ins I have for recording on my "studio computer", as well)

Then, I'd get it home and go through the presets thinking "Wow! This sounds AWESOME!!".....and then, I'd think "Ok....how ya gonna use that for anything?" ....and I'd kind of stare blankly at the wall, scratching my head....and then put the basic spring, or plate reverb on....and never listen to 95% of the presets again.....lol.

I like having options (and still think..."Wow..that sounds great!").....but, as I've gotten older, I've realized most of them end up being pretty useless for anything other than emptying my wallet. ;-)

This was my opinion only..and YMMV

5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

JUST had this talk today! Gimme a good guitar, a coupla good sounds, and let me PLAY!

gtttrrr and pmac11 like this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah and the same thing happens with keyboards that have a thousand sounds and presets. In the end I wind up using the piano, organ and synth sounds. Maybe 10 - 20 patches get used over and over and the rest - NEVER!...:D.

pmac11 likes this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Agreed. I picked up Native Instruments Kontakt bundle last summer complete with Hammond B3, Rickenbacker and Wurlitzer plug-ins, as well as a whack of synths, and Guitar Rig. So many of those sounds I'll never use. Nice to have options I guess.

8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It's really cool - but I think I would go backwards in my guitar playing because I'd spend mad hours playing with all the settings while repeating two or three riffs over and over.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think you all hot the nail on the head, this thing will be a hit with synth guys and gals doing ambient stuff or soundscapes but for a guitarist, not so much I think.

gtttrrr likes this.
  10. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I think this pedal exemplifies a problem with the industry right now -- every wants to make a pedal that does so much, and the user ends up not getting the most out of it. I do have a bias, though -- I have a problem with pedals that do more than one thing. I feel like compromises always get made.

11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I have a TC Hall of Fame 2. Nice reverb effects. I played with it a bit when I first got it but it has been at the same setting now for pushing two years.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea I have the BigSky and it has a lot going on and the source audio spectrum which is incredible and also has a lot going on. Fortunately I went into them knowing how involved they could be and also knowing I didn’t have to get to involved if I didn’t want to. It is nice to have users sharing creations as well. I’m not against involved pedals but you really need to know what you are getting into before diving into a purchase.

13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Strymon makes great pedals and you've got to give them credit - they do keep making pedals with new twists on sound. I have 3 pedals by them that I love and if I was wealthy I would own more. Even though I love some of the sounds the Night Sky makes I probably wouldn't use it that much. Be nice to have just in case...:).
    There are other things I could use more.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I bought one :) :) dunno when it ships though

Merc, gtttrrr, Henry and 2 others like this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks like I'll have to wait awhile for an in-depth review then!:(

Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Just got the notice now that it shipped. :^)

audept and Bertotti like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It will be interesting to hear how a guitar guy uses the step sequencer.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    eazy peazy, the tremelo and vibrato inbreeding will be amazing, especially randomized.

dougmon likes this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    here, its analog step sequencer but never the less, effectual! half way though he takes of the cotton pickin overdrive so you can hear

dougmon likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Looks like a Mesa head back there! @Waxhead

TV the Wired Turtle and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.