Strymon Deco

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by The Marlin, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Strymon sure makes some great pedals.
    Here's another to add to my pedal board.

2. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    It's official. I don't want one.
    mj

Attached Files:

3. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    Yeah...I watched the demos today, and once more I've got the gas for a Strymon! Those guys are pure evil. Didja hear that? Pure evil, I say!

4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I'm
    Gonna get one for sure

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    WAKE UP WAKE UP!! The Red Coats are coming, the red coats are coming

[​IMG]

...eerrr.. ooops.

[​IMG]

Strymon is taking pre-orders for the Deco right NOOOWWW! get over there.

6. Dan C

Dan C Country Gent

Mar 20, 2011
    London
    TGP members have been posting order numbers of #47000 upwards! Crazy numbers.

Eagerly awaiting the reviews from you rock n rollers.

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A question: is the saturation basically a boost or preamp? Also, I'm not pedal guy right now so pardon my ignorance , but I understand preamps at usually um pre amp, and delays are often in the effects loop. Any idea how having the saturation and delay on the same position? Particularly with an effects loop on an amp which has reverb?

8. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    You may have to wait for all of the drool to evaporate before you get an intelligble answer.

mj

Attached Files:

9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo

"Saturation began as as effect when (using analog) the gain stage is overloaded and the physical properties of the recording gear (tape, transistors, tubes, etc) could not handle the amount of magnetic information (sound levels too high). What happens is the peaks are clipped off (clipping), and the result is more or less a flat top at the peaks (signal is now "distorted"). You can think of clipping looking similar to a square wave (starting with a sin wave, if volume gets too high the peaks get cut off due to limit of volume on tape, thus creating a plateau), therefore if you understand what square waves are then you will realize this process adds harmonics (sq waves = odd harmonics of fundamental frequency...).

To know how saturation works for plugins, you need to know the above (it all started with analog). When dealing with magnetic analog devices there is a physical property that limits magnetic capacity. When the limit is maxed (or fully "saturated"... as in full or filled to max) the signal is clipped (this clipped produced sound result is dependent on the gear that processes it). When these analog processes are clipped slightly they add mellow distortion, and has been termed "saturation." This saturation is what a lot of people love about analog gear (it gives it that "analog sound"). Plugins recreate this mellow distortion through algorithms because clipping in digital realm sounds much harsher.

Summary: saturation is the slight harmonic distortion found from magnetic analog devices being overloaded."

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Very good explanation.
    I might add that analog tape machines all had different sounds depending on the brand.
    Tape speed, tape brand, how the Bias was set on the machine - tube or transistor electronics, type of output transformers used - all these things affects the sound.
    It was so complicated and that's why it's very hard to explain or duplicate the sound of tape machine distortion.
    I'd be interested to hear how Strymon went about arriving at this sound - what type of machine they used, tape brand, speed of transport, etc.
    That said I think the pedal sounds pretty good (like all their other pedals).
    Me being an analog guy from way back I'm pretty impressed with this pedal.
    I still use tape machines today - 2, 4, 8 and 16 track - 1/4" through 2".
    I love all of them!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  11. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I'll take two, please

12. Dan C

Dan C Country Gent

Mar 20, 2011
    London
    So who has Pre-Ordered? I'm stuck waiting on UK stock to appear!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks tavo and Tim.

I reckon I'll have to wait til the stompees are out to see how they might mix post-reverb in an effects loop.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    effects loop? this thing goes at the end of my pedalboard after the El Capistan Dtape echo and Boss Dm3. :)

15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Im gonna order one but i need to sell some stuff first or there will be trouble here lol

16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm in trouble now but its "pre order" limbo so I've got stuff on Reverb.com :)

17. DocJay

DocJay Electromatic

Mar 18, 2013
    I'm really looking forward to trying this pedal. I hope they put the in-depth video up soon.

Do you rockabilly guys think you will keep your El Caps as well?

18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Mine's pre-ordered in Australia. I have about 4 weeks to come up with the 2 billion dollars they are going to charge for it down here.

19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Your 2 billion may as well be 4 billion for the 1 billion I have to come up with to cover the pre-order charge. :) No one will buy my lousy $70 Anna echo in the classifieds!! That would put me at $999,930 shy of what I owe. :)

20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    After the El Cap? A tape simulator after a tape echo simulator? Why not before the El Cap?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.