Stroke is no Joke...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So sorry for the scare and very happy your wife is doing better.

stevo likes this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    stevo likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    8 years ago my sister found her friend lying on the kitchen floor. It turned out that he had a stroke early in the morning. He was found there late in the evening.
    When I visited him in the hospital he wasn`t able to speak or move. I really thought that the situation for him was totally hopeless.
    Today he is still handicapped because his right side is paralyzed and he has trouble speaking. But: After years of training he is able to walk again, has a clear brain and can even drive a (modified) car. I consider it a wonder.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The neuro doc said the same- he didn't have a problem with chiropractic in general, but NO NECK manipulation. It can cause bleeding through "torsion"- it can tear a small hole in an artery. I'm sure it happens only rarely, but when it's YOU or a loved one, it's not "rare."

T Bone, MrWookiee and stevo like this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Glad to hear your Wife is okay. So good you knew exactly what to do and acted so quickly. All the best.

stevo likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For sure mate - here's to hoping you never need to use it.

new6659 likes this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Glad to hear she's doing well. Thank you for the good advice.

stevo likes this.
  8. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Well played, Steve. Sending prayers for your wife and you, and thanks for the storm warning.

stevo likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    All the best to your wife sir.

My aunt had something similar happen ,but thankfully she is fine now with no signs she ever had it.

MrWookiee and stevo like this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

So sorry to hear your scary story Stevo, but also very happy that your quick thinking and actions helped her get the best result. More power to you, and your lovely wife.

I had a stroke about 15 years ago. Congenital weakness in an artery in my brain, and it went pop a little. I was in a bad way for a few months but luckily, like you, I had timely treatment and a good friend with the right qualifications and experience to help me through. Never look back, make each day better......thays what I clung to and I hope it might be some help to you.

Wishing you both many long and happy days of fun, love and music.

stevo likes this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    This is worrisome to me. My father died from an aneurysm- the docs said it was most likely a congenital weakness of an artery in the brain.... I wonder what the difference is between a stroke and an aneurysm? I think a stroke is LACK of blood to a portion of the brain? And an aneurysm is a bleeder? But in order to have a stroke, don't you have to bleed first, then form the clot? Perhaps aneurysm is a massive bleed, that doesn't clot before massive damage? I'll have to look that up.

stevo likes this.
  12. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    We just returned a week ago from helping out when a young family member had a stroke due very thin arteries to one side of their brain. Amazed doesn’t cover it. They cut a hole in their skull, pulled an artery from just under the scalp, sewed it to the artery in their brain and put a plate over the hole. A couple of days in ICU, a couple of days in regular care and sent home. The doc said it was common (!) surgery and that they should have no further problems. Their speech is sometime hindered when tired, but therapy is helpful with that as well as some weakness in their left arm. Prognosis? Those things are minor and will improve with therapy and full steam ahead with the rest of their life. Wow!

We have a friend that we found in the bathroom about 17 hours after their stroke. This was about 10 years ago. Therapy has helped a lot, but they still have short term memory issues, and one quadrant of their vision just doesn’t exist. (The brain is a strange thing sometimes.) I wish we would have found them earlier; they are doing well but it took a while to get to where they are now.

Sometimes you need a strong advocate. In the case of the family member the ER doc said that 38 was too young for a stroke and didn’t want to do the correct scan that would prove/disprove it. Another family member stepped in and said that they were a medical doctor (true) and that a scan was necessary. The result? The ER doc said – You’re right, they’ve had a couple of strokes. As stated, time is critical. Sometimes firmness as well.

I actually surprised that the human body works at all, let alone when it doesn’t.

Henry, Flouswa and stevo like this.
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    How little did I know how many of us G-T members have been touched by this nightmare of a thing. Hope you're doing all the way well even today and never have another!

Cheers,
    S

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I know, right? I can't remember how many times someone in my sphere has said their insistence saved someone. To say that 38 is too young for a stroke is a fatal mistake.

ruger9 likes this.
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    "You have to be your own advocate (or have someone strong enough to advocate for you) CANNOT BE UNDERSTATED. Don't "leave it to the professionals", especially at the very first stages like ER. I could go on a rant about the large number of malpractice deaths, but I don't want to even hint at something that could turn political.

NJDevil and stevo like this.
  16. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Sending good thoughts her way! My husband had one in March and he was really lucky. He was past the window because he didn't show the usual symptoms, but they said it was still good that he went to the hospital when he did. He has impairment in his one side, but it's coming along, he spent a week in the hospital and 2 in a rehab facility and then did physical and occupational therapy for two months. He went back to work the beginning of May on a reduced schedule and is just now getting back to almost his full routine. He has been told he's doing great and his prognosis is excellent. I don't even want to think what could have happened had he waited any longer.

stevo likes this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I’m sad to hear it but you give us all hope. Glad he is coming along. Determination goes a long way.

Flouswa likes this.
  18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    But it’s often true though.

ruger9 likes this.
  19. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Yep. He has days he gets down about it, but I keep reminding him of just how bad it could be. In 1996 one of my sisters had a brain aneurysm burst and she was basically comatose for a month, had to relearn how to do everything. And she did!!! It's absolutely amazing what they can retrain the brain to do, as long as there isn't serious damage in specific areas. Godspeed to your wife in her total recovery!

stevo likes this.
  20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    My mother in law had a stroke when they were living in Florida and the damage was completely preventable. They got there fast and could have/should have been treated right away. But the doctors screwed up and they missed the window for the tPA. Makes me mad to think about it. They got there within 30 minutes of onset and the doctors blew the window and she suffered permanent impairment. Oh well, she was great to be with in her last years and we don't regret anything. Just felt bad for her. But I know she could have made better progress if she had tried harder, so I hope you can keep your husband motivated.

Flouswa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.