Stroke is no Joke...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Jul 19, 2021.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Yeah, both are fine, not permanent damage, thank God.

stevo likes this.
  2. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Good to hear that speedy reaction and good care lead to her avoiding further difficulties.

stevo likes this.
  3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Glad it wasn't worse stevo!
    My mom had a bad stroke 15 years ago and my sister and I have been caregiving ever since.... Just fed her lunch.

T Bone, radd and stevo like this.
  4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Steve, I'm so glad she has made it through OK. My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

stevo likes this.
  5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Thank you for posting this. The best advice is if you have any symptoms get help immediately. Do not google why you can't find the right words for describing things. Such as calling a guitar tuner an earthquake and such. You may not have any pain at all with a stroke. It can also be an ocular migraine. I had the first one 10 years ago couldn't think of the word "band practice" and other words were like salad mouth. Since I didn't have any pain, I sat there googled and researched what was happening to me. Until my wife and daughter and law said you are going to emergency now. If emergency hears the word stroke you are put in the front of the line immediately. Fortunately for me it was diagnosed as an ocular migraine or a slight possibility of a TIA Transient Ischemic attack temporary symptom that mimic a stroke. IF YOU DON'T GET ANYTHING ELSE OUT OF THIS DISCUSSION GET THIS!!!!!! IF YOU EVEN THINK YOU ARE HAVING A STROKE GET TO EMERGENCY OR CALL 911 ASAP.

new6659 and stevo like this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Dude - that's rough. Just took care of my mom in law for three years before her passing two years ago. She had had a stroke and wasn't a heavy burden on us, but required a good bit of physical care. I know the feeling.

speedicut likes this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    TIAs are no joke either - if you have them, your chance of stroke is much hither. Good that your wife and daughter in law encouraged you to get help asap. No doctor will yell at you for discovering that it was "only a complex migraine". There is no such thing as migraine, TIA or vaso-constrictive syndrome when you're having symptoms. They're all a stroke until you find out other wise!

Sounds like you're okay - glad of it!

rcboals likes this.
  8. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Stevo,

You and your wife are in our prayers. Thank you for sharing this, if it helps one person it will be well worth it. You are correct, quick response is the key. We keep the warnings signs posted on our fridge, and on the fridge of my parents.
    • Sudden onset of weakness or numbness on one side of the body.
    • Sudden speech difficulty or confusion.
    • Sudden difficulty seeing in one or both eyes.
    • Sudden onset of dizziness, trouble walking or loss of balance.
    • Sudden, severe headache with no known cause.

T Bone, new6659 and stevo like this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks mate. I'm so thankful to right now be among the fortunate ones. We are living proof that quick action and a good treatment center make all the difference. Good post!

10. CBHScott

CBHScott Electromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    Central OH
    Stevo, my best to your wife, and glad she is recovering.

My best also to all those affected.

stevo likes this.
  11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I met a woman who had a stroke after having chiropractic treatment on her neck. Scary.

mrfixitmi and stevo like this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

Thank god it turned out so well. I had a longtime client who was an absolute raw nerve, constantly swinging moods, routine emotional outbursts. A few years ago he suffered a pretty severe stroke. After that, he was a completely different person. He was okay physically and seemed to be all there cognitively, at least superficially, but his personality was unrecognizable. Mellow as could be, completely docile. If a stroke didn't sound appealing to me in the first place, adding that dimension makes one that more frightening.

13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow that is terrible but so happy you guys acted as quick as you did, wishing your wife all the best to make that extra .5% and back to full health in no time.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    oh my gosh. I wonder how that happened.

15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, it can change personality for sure. It can also cause docile and kind folks to become moody and irritable.

16. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Ok, this is where the former paramedic brow beats everybody. Take the initial post here and attach it to your refrigerator. Then take a second copy and staple it to your forehead. It is possible to get better from a stroke. It is also possible to NOT get better from a stroke. If you're waiting for early symptoms to get serious, that is a faulty approach. There are often no symptoms until you find yourself face down on the front porch. It is also a LOT of work for a loved one to take care of a stroke victim. And finally, imagine life trying to play your favorite Gretsch with one hand.

Guys - my wife just had a stroke Friday night. I'll fast forward to say that she is 99.5% better and home already which is amazing. But it was a massive scare and a huge wake up call.

We are very fortunate to have a best friend who is chief of cardiology at best stroke hospital in town, so we knew where to go and how to react. This place has the ability to go in and remove a brain clot but we didn't need that.

We got her there within an hour and she was treated right away and it resolved quickly. Her symptoms were speech confusion - both speaking and understanding. Scary to think it could have been permanent.

So by way of a public service announcement - be ready for this folks. You only have a 2-5 hour window for treatment. Know the symptoms and don't hesitate if you see symptoms. I know too many people who decided to "wait and see if it gets worse" and they're now living with permanent impairment. Catch this early enough and most of the time you end up with little to no lasting effects.

Cheers,
    S

NJDevil, mrfixitmi, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Prayers for a quick recovery and a complete healing!

18. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Best wishes to all who are navigating the scary inequities of the "other side of the hill", either as a victim, caregiver, or beloved family member. I was hoping the thread would be about the Billy Squier song.

stevo likes this.
  19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Gospel mate. Gospel.

mrfixitmi, ruger9 and MrWookiee like this.
  20. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Thanks, also, for the important information.

stevo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.