Strings for a G5125

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Marcus Walsh, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Marcus Walsh

Marcus Walsh Newbie

Jan 24, 2011
    Ireland
    Hi All

Just bought my first Gretsch. It's a G5125. Gonna get it serviced and cleaned up but i want get your thoughts on the best strings to put on it to compliment the guitar sound.

Cheers:)

2. Hamer59

Hamer59 Electromatic

Jan 24, 2011
    France
    I use D'Addario XL 11-49 Gauge strings for my G5120, it's supple, easy and it's not like spaghetti, the tune is ok and sound's good. The bridge don't move. I've already tried 10-46, it's work to, but the tune is not so reliable, 'cause the bridge move when you play energetic !

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french. Good afternoon from France !

3. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Welcome aboard to both of you & congrats on your new found Gretschiness! :D

Most people like 11s on there, but go with what you like! if you prefer 10s then so be it! if you find you play heavy handed & the bridge shifts around then just put some violin rosin on the bottom of the base!

One suggestion, take a look at Compton Bridges, I'm sure you've read about them in other threads here, but if not, they offer huge improvements in action, sustain & tone in general! it will blow your mind like you never imagined a little chunk of metal could - the best bang-for-your-buck fully-reversible mod there is! :)

4. Hamer59

Hamer59 Electromatic

Jan 24, 2011
    France
    Thank you ! It's really cool here !

And thanks too for your advice. I'm interesting about this bridge. I think that I'm gonna buy it next, the many feeds about it are really goods and it's not a hard mod. Totally reversible. So why not ? Always test everything, We're never far about a good surprise. ;)

5. 68GuitarPlayer

68GuitarPlayer Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Clinton, Tn
    Hello Marcus and welcome to the forum. I use D'Addario EXL115w's. Those are 11's with a wound 3rd. I like the 11's. To each his/her own about the wound third. I gotta have one. If your bridge isn't pinned, the 11's hold it down a little more. Some folks use violin rosin to help also.

Good luck with whatever you get:)

6. Marcus Walsh

Marcus Walsh Newbie

Jan 24, 2011
    Ireland
    Thanks for the advice. Trust me Hamer59 your English is better than my French. I am gonna look more into bridges, thanks for that araT. So I think I'll give 11's a go first and take it from there. I'll try out your brand first 68GuitarPlayer.

Cheers.

7. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    If you still have the factory strings on it, they are 10s. I usually install 11s, but with my G5125, the 10s work so well that I'm going to stay with that gauge. The only change is to use a would G string for better balance across the strings. D'Addario EXL110W string set.

When I installed the stainless steel Compton bridge, I rubbed some violin bow rosin on the bridge base. No slippage.

8. Kelvinj3

Kelvinj3 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I use D'Addario EPN 10's, I love the pure nickel sound. The bridge is pegged to avoid slippage, which can be a problem with 10's.

9. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I like GHS Nickel Rockers on my hollowbody guitars. They are pure nickel, round wound, although the windings are slightly compressed, giving a smoother feels. These are very warm and rich sounding strings, but can still twang. 10 or 11 guage is your preference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.