String Winder for Butterbean Buttons

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by KennyC, Sep 24, 2020.

1. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Okay thunder58, are you ready for your "laugh of the day?" I did email Gretsch the same day you posted about emailing them and I included the photo above and asked them if they could point me to one that would fit or what did they use at the factory. Here is their response I just received a few moments ago:

Hello Kenny,

Thank you for your inquiry and patience! I would recommend trying a string winder with a universal winder head. For recommendations or more information on this topic, check out this Gretsch-Talk forum here - https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/string-winder-for-butterbean-buttons.207861/ . Hope this helps!

LOL They pointed me to this thread. I bet they didn't even look at the picture. Oh well. I am going to make one myself when I get a few extra moments. Thought everyone would get a chuckle out of this.

freddyfingers, Bertotti, radd and 2 others like this.
  2. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    That’s hilarious!!
    Nice to know maybe someone there reads this forum....or did they just google your question and this thread popped up. Hmmmm.

radd likes this.
  3. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Email the factory, anyone know Japanese?

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice to know they come here to Gretsch-Talk for advice :p ....... LOL ....Thanks for the update

radd likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Take your guitar to GC and try all the winders....If you haven’t already tried that

thunder58 likes this.
  6. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I have a cheap red plastic Jim Dunlop winder that I’ve had for years and I’m positive it would fit over the butter beans

7. This is partly why i didnt put the imperials back on my guild. They look great, but are very wide and large, my winder doesnt fit them.

KennyC likes this.
  8. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    I took the time this morning to modify the winder that I had. I opened it up first on a band saw then used files and finally fine grit (1000) sandpaper. Works great, so problem solved.

Bertotti and Hammerhands like this.
  9. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Thought I would provide another update. Since I modified my string winder (type that fits a drill) I ordered a new one for my other guitars. The one I had modified was the D'Addario. The new one is MusicNomad Grip Bit. Unlike the D'Addario that is made of hard plastic, the Grip Bit is made from a rubber compound. So with a little pressure the Grip Bit will slide onto these big butterbean buttons on the new Country Gentlemen guitars. Because it is made of rubber it does not scratch the buttons with the little bit of pressure that it takes. I bought the MusicNomad Grip Bit on Amazon, I have not seen it in a music store for sale, although a lot of stores offer it for sale via an online order. So now we finally have an answer to this question as to a stock string winder that will fit. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.