String Winder for Butterbean Buttons

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by KennyC, Sep 24, 2020.

1. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    My G6122T-59 VS Country Gentleman has Grover Imperial tuners with the butterbean buttons on it. I own three string winders – one for a drill and two manual – and none of them will fit onto these buttons. Winding the strings by finger is a pain. I've even took my guitar to a local guitar shop and none of their string winders will fit.

Does anyone know of a string winder that will fit these buttons? I would prefer one that goes into a drill, but would settle for manual operated over doing it via finger.

2. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I recommend 86-ing your string winders altogether. Your guitar will stay in tune much better if you have a minimum number of wraps around the posts. With a lot of winding, the string tension will "slack and drag" making it much more difficult to keep the guitar in tune. You really only need about 1.5 wraps for it to stay in place, and that's much more stable for tuning. Just snip off the rest with some wire cutters.

scrimmer, thunder58, Henry and 3 others like this.
  3. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    I agree except for the 86ing the string winders. I do not over-wrap my strings. Been changing guitar strings for over 50 years. I personally like string winders. Here is my Gretsch, as you can see the strings are not over-wrapped. IMG_0724.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    thunder58 likes this.
  4. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The ones for bass don't work? Check the orchestra strings department?

Fender Turbo Tune?

5. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    When I took my guitar to the local guitar store, I also tried the two brands of bass string winders that they had in stock and neither would fit, in addition to the three brands of regular guitar string winders. I do not recall the brand names though.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sometimes when I rush I don’t even get a full wrap although that is my goal. I always use a locking wrap. I had a store guy tell me I had to have at least three wraps that way I had some slack to work with if I broke a string. I walked off. My strings have always broken at the post so what good is any extra string wrapped around the post. NoGood!

I might have a strong wonder here but never use it. With my locking wrap I don’t really have any need for a winder.

pmarinovich likes this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    mrfixitmi, Groutsch and Jeff67 like this.
  8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Totally agree. I get by with .75 - 1.5 wraps depending on string gauge and wound or not.

Bertotti likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    You don't even need that many wraps, but if you prefer to do that few with a winder, more power to you.

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Nothing wrong with using string winders

A few minutes ago I did some work on the nut on my new Gibson and did not want to remove the strings. It has locking tuners so there is only a 1/2 wrap on the posts but with the the string winder loosening the strings enough to move all 6 off the nut and fingerboard took seconds with the winder.

When finished, seconds again to get them tight enough to start to tune with out the winder.

My winder sets on a shelf over my workbench so it takes no extra time to use.

11. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Radd, Thanks. Are you certain that it fits the Butterbean Buttons on the Country Gentleman? I ask because my drill string winder looks exactly like this, minus the handle, and it will not fit.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The tuners on this Country Gentleman are a 18:1 ratio. So that is a lot of winding via fingers and it kind of hurts with the knots and arthritis that is developing in my fingers, thus the string winder is for me.

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Kenny, ya had me thinking. The only butter beans I have were on a new Gibson Les Paul Special and I used that winder to take the strings off to replace the tuners.

I pulled them out of my parts bin and tried them again because I could not for sure remember. The winder works great in them. They fit completely inside the sides at the second level and don’t slip out.

96B0CEAB-A22C-4D82-AC0E-51F5FB70FE33.jpeg

KennyC likes this.
  13. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Radd,

Thanks, but that is nothing like the butterbean buttons on the new Country Gentlemen, these things are really fat/thick. Here:

IMG_0725.JPG

14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I guess all butter beans are not created equal :D

KennyC likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You could just make a new end for yours.

16. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @KennyC , perhaps but a small piece of soft cloth inside the string winder to fill the gaps .

17. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    To fill what gap? The issue is no string winders will even begin to go on these butterbean buttons as the buttons are too large for all of them. Again, I have three string winders and none fit. I went to the guitar store and tried all of the string winders they had in stock and none fit. I even tried their bass guitar string winders and they would not fit. They say a pic is worth a thousand words, maybe this will illustrate my point.

string winder.JPG

Bertotti, I think that is probably the only viable solution. Perhaps cut it out larger on the band saw then file/sand it down smooth.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    new6659 and thunder58 like this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Wow ! Now I see the problem . Well , it’s just a thought but maybe call or email Gretsch ( with that photo ) . Perhaps a tech can guide you . I’m sure the factory workers don’t wind strings manually . Maybe they’ll tell you what brand of string winder to use . Like I said , just a thought

Hammerhands and KennyC like this.
  19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Now THAT's a butterbean knob!

This seems large enough:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...ullers/waverly-anniversary-string-winder.html

Or even this - I had one of these and the slot is really big:

https://www.artist-guitars.com/coll...tar-string-winder-black-11052?yoReviewsPage=3

But you might need to improvise if no one makes a dedicated tool for it.

Hookdriver would work although you'd have to pad it to prevent scratching:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...21f469702d06760016cd,57641db369702d3baa000fc8

Combine it with this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...rewdriver-Cushion-Grip-Handle-67100/202922672

Maybe too much?

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would be tempted to just widen that one then put a piece of leather in it when doing thinner tuners. Provided that plastic is strong enough to go thinner. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.