String Thru Bigsby available for purchase?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by BarryMClark, Apr 12, 2021.

1. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Does anyone know if the string-through Bigsby B7 is available for purchase without it coming on a guitar?

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Tele295 and stevo like this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Or you can simply pull the pins on a regular B7 and drill through. It's not difficult, but buying the Callaham bar may be easier if you don't have the available tools.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Ricochet likes this.
  4. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    It really isn’t that hard to use the pins.

El Marin, rcboals, capnhiho and 4 others like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I agree too

6. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    I find the pins easier than the string through. Just put a 90 degree bend at the windings with some needle nose pliers

rcboals likes this.
  7. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    It isn't hard to do a lot of things yet we continue to find easier ways to do it. This is without question easier. I honestly don't use vibrato bars much. For me, I ditched the Bigsby because it was just so much easier to string my other guitars so, I just dumped it because dealing with the pins just wasn't worth it for me. However, I have noticed that my guitar got a lot more "lively" and not always in a good way for me. I would love to add the mass back to dampen the body again so long as it was easy to string it as my other guitars. For some people, dealing with the pins is a small price to pay for glory of the Bigsby. To me, it just in the way.

thunder58 and Henry like this.
  8. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    G5422T likes this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    You bet and you're welcome.

I've owned and have been restringing Bigsby equipped guitars since '67.

Tried the Callaham string through bar on one Gretsch about 5 years ago. Bought two more for my others.

I don't miss "the pins" at all!

FWIW and contrary to a lot of internet chatter about "strings breaking" with these types of bars, I've never had a string break on mine.

Best of luck.

20200313_124057.jpg 20191119_121936.jpg 20190215_124842.jpg

new6659 likes this.
  10. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    After changing strings with Bigsbys for several years now I have found it to be very easy to do. I do remember it was a challenge in the beginning and took a while to become easy, guess that is called practice. :) My current bigsby guitars 77 Guld X500, RCB Twangmaster Tele, 61 Gibson ES330, Gretsch Black Phoenix. Anyway if you don't do it often enough it can be a pain. The Callaham looks like a good solution for $45.00 plus shipping. They make quality products. It doesn't appear that you would need any real mechanical skills to change the bar. I would go that way if I wanted the string through option if I felt it would make my life easier.

11. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I put a Callaham string thru bar and a Duane Eddy handle on all my Bigsby v-cuts. Makes it a super Bigsby!

G5422T likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    45$ plus shipping for a bar with holes looks way too expensive to me

capnhiho likes this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Yup

I find That doing a locking string wrap that really utilizes two hands for the initial set up, using a capo at the first fret and the ball end bend makes the stringing process very simple.

Gregor likes this.
  14. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Callahan has em but not in gold.

I've made mine myself. I removed the pins and drilled thru.

I recently purchased a couple string anchor bars that I want to convert and maybe sell them.

15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Well said my friend :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.