Streamliner Jr replacement pups?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by TCFA, Jul 1, 2020.

1. TCFA

TCFA Electromatic

Jun 28, 2020
    UK
    Hey folks - new joiner here. Got a 2655 red streamliner jnr. It's so nice to play! but I'm getting a modding itch...
    Usual cosmetics seem simple enough (open to recommendations for suppliers!)
    Thinking of pups though, filtertrons would be nice, but I've seen the work involved on a thread on here!!! Bit beyond me and I don't want to mess it up ...
    Does anyone have experience within replacement pups that drop in? I've googled a couple ... when they say "standard hum bucker" size, will that replace the broadtrons directly?
    I've seen that seymour duncan do some called psyclone - anyone tried those?

2. TCFA

TCFA Electromatic

Jun 28, 2020
    UK
    Actually, I was even thinking of trying out some epiphone probuckers in there ...... is that blasphemy??!

I have an epi LP and recently picked up an Epi Dot - the Dot is gorgeous but maybe a bit big for me, but I love how it sounds

I've seen you can get pairs of probuckers with complete wiring looms for not too much money. I figure I'd just need to unsolder some of those and replace with longer wires.

Is it a massive pain working inside a semi hollow?

Are the pots in the Gretsch smaller than standard, or would standard pots that come on a loom fit in? Am thinking in case I get a set of pups and pots that have push/pull splitting functionality, would they fit?

Davis Sharp likes this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Hi and welcome to G-T.

I'm one of those who put Blacktop Filter'Trons in a 2655 and it was not simple.

You can search for "humbucker sized filtertrons" to get something that will drop in. Guitar Fetish (GFS) has inexpensive ones, but I don't know if they ship to the UK.

Many people on the Epi forum like the Probuckers too. It's not blasphemy, it's your guitar. Mod it to please yourself.

section2 likes this.
  4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    A few years ago, I bought an Epi Genesis Reissue when MF was blowing them out. It has the Probuckers with coil splitters. I love the tone and don't feel the need to change them. I bet they'd go great in that G2655.

5. TCFA

TCFA Electromatic

Jun 28, 2020
    UK
    Thanks folks. Davis, yeah I read your thread with a lot of interest, and a lot of "bloody hell, no way I'm trying that!!"

Are the existing pups in the 2655 "humbucker sized"? so that if I buy others that are labelled as that, they will fit?

If I go for probuckers (or similar) that are already wired up for 2V2T, I think I'd probably just repurpose the master V on the Gretsch as Neck V, then allocate the bottom three knobs accordingly.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    If I had read my thread, I would have thought the same thing. :)

Yes. The Broadtrons are the standard humbucker size.

section2 likes this.
  7. TCFA

TCFA Electromatic

Jun 28, 2020
    UK
    Thanks Davis

Maybe what I'll do is just look for pickups without the full wiring loom attached, because it won't be the right size to fit the gretsch and no doubt has bigger pots, especially those push pull ones. I'm hoping I could just cut the existing wires from the broadtrons going into the current pot system and join the wires - although that could be messy.

I've seen a few different wiring diagrams online - do you have a view on one which is clear and easy to follow, both for the existing system and the 2V2T system?

8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  9. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    What about humbucker sized P90s? That would give you a vintage 50s / 60s vibe without all the hassle of fitting Filtertrons.
    Much more clarity than humbuckers but like all single coils, susceptible to hum.

Attached Files:

section2 and Lindo like this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I've noticed that there are usually a lot of Epi pickups for sale on ebay, either people upgrading or there seems to be some parting out these guitars. Cheap too, a few months ago Classic Pro Alnico HBs were only $20 a set, new.
    Don't know about your ebay though.

Edit: just took a look and there are lots of Epi HBs on ebay but almost all sellers are in China. Not a bad thing if you can wait for slow shipping.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  11. TCFA

TCFA Electromatic

Jun 28, 2020
    UK
    Yeah Randy, agreed. there are probuckers with full loom, pots etc for about 70GBP. I'm currently bidding on a non probucker pair (57? alnico?) at 7GBP...!

12. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
  13. Lindo

Lindo Electromatic

Mar 10, 2019
    Derbyshire
    I gave up on waiting for those, and spoke to someone on here a while back who had similar problems.

I went the P90 route in the end, and the hb sized ones with metal cases don't have a problem with hum. Work very well in that guitar imo.

section2 likes this.
  14. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Yeh, the lead times are a little nuts as I think it’s just one guy making to order. P90s are always a good shout!

Lindo likes this.
  15. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
  16. TCFA

TCFA Electromatic

Jun 28, 2020
    UK
    So I've got a pair of epi pickups coming - I might take them out of their covers and keep the broadtron covers if they'll fit as they suit it better. Is there value in me taking the whole guts out and replacing the pots in this guitar? Will that make any difference?

17. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The f-hole on the 2655 is too narrow for a pot to pass through, so you have to go through the pickup cavity. There is a channel in the centerblock, but it's too small for a full-size pot. I wouldn't bother with changing the pots. I wouldn't even remove them for the pickup swap. Use cut the old pups off and connect the new ones with some sort of electrical connectors or solder.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    section2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.