Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Stray Cats tone from Tech 21 Blonde

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Rob Williams, May 18, 2017.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I thought he's using mostly stock Hot Rods
    in the last years with the Orchestra? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read something about old vs. new Gretsches he mentioned in an interview , can't remember where.

2. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I got a tech 21 blonde and could never quite dial it in. Too many options, plus amp sim pedals into an amp does my head in. Unless it's into a big PA with huge gold back. Plus, I dunno why folks who'd sniff at a modelling amp would think those is ok? Yeah, I'm sure there's reasons and you're all going to tell me

3. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I've never been big on amp sims (I'd tried a few) until I came across the Tech21 Character series. I'm pretty sold on these and I'd like to try more, but there's no budget at the moment. I don't use it through a guitar amp but through our band PA (it's got a speaker sim/defeat button for each) and while it's not as 100% reactive as a tube amp it's so close it's worth the trade off to have a consistent tone at any volume and one less heavy amp to lug. 99% of the audience wont care if it's valve or just sounds like it - and after watching RHH use his quilter I feel less like a sell-out lol. I've been mucking around with driving the front of it with an EQ boost pedal and I'm happy enough to keep going down this road :)

audept and TSims1 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I totally love the Tech 21 stuff. It's great.

6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The modelling amps are digital modelling and they sound like it. The Tech 21 Character series are analog circuitry.

TSims1 likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    All Brian's guitars are set up by Tom Jones of TvJones. One of his "things" is 6105 stainless steel frets, w a reworked Gotoh ABR-1 bridge w brass saddles
    as I recall. Although one or two have drilled alum saddles.

When Brian plays his annual Xmas Orchestra shows, he will grab a few guitars for a few songs that are the latest models and these are indeed the trestle braces models but he has a favorite early 99' Candy Apple hotrod. (the early models kept messing up the placement of the pkup selector so Tom would redrill and move it over to where its supposed to go)
    These have the thinner 2.5 body w a Tone Post, not trestles like the post FMIC builds. The latest models actually now have the thicker body 2 3.4" He goes between this and the 59' 6120 that is reworked by Tom.

I've not seen him use the 99' tonepost candy apple in any of the rockabilly riot shows, those are about full on rockabilly vs the BSO sweet rockn holiday Rat pack thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the new ones he will come out w for a song or two:
    [​IMG]

8. slimwilson

slimwilson Gretschie

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Haha that's a smug face if I've ever seen one. Sometimes I wonder if he ever makes this face in his head in relation to his talent

KuKuKu likes this.
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Yeah, I've said for years... if you watch Xmas DVD, and listen carefully, you can hear the slight difference in tone when he switches from his SSLVO to his '99 red Hot Rod. The Hot Rods are brighter, and a little "harder" sounding. It is subtle, but it's there. It's been a life quest for me to try to get my HR to sound more warm and "softer" like the SSLVO, w/o installing a tone switch and 2 more pots.

I AM installing a tone switch tho... I've got all the parts from TVJ sitting here, I just need several free hours to take my time, and test it out outside the guitar first before drilling a hole. I do love my HR, but I don't find it very versatile... and I'd love to have the switch to give me something a little closer to Gibson PAF-ish tones once in awhile.... or THIS: