Strat HSS wiring help

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by calebaaron666, Apr 2, 2021.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    A friend/bandmate asked me to fix her strat.
    The previous owner added a SD Humbucker, and for some reason the 5 way switching is all wrong.
    Basically the HB can be heard in all positions.
    I’ve been googling schematics all afternoon, but can’t find one that seems to work.
    Any suggestions?

thanx!!

2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    It seems to me that it would be wired the same as SSS, the two wires from the bridge HB go to the same contacts a single-coil would. If the HB splits, those wires would go to a separate switch.
    Strat Wiring.jpg
    Edit: if the HB is four-wire you'll have to check the color codes to see which are the output wires and which split the coils.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I think this strat has a super strat selector or something. There’s about a million prongs. Well, 20 prongs.
    That’s nuts.
    I think I’ll buy a standard 5 way and start from scratch.

Randy99CL and new6659 like this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yeah I don't know anything about the variations. Are the extra positions actually useful?? I don't know.
    I'd research it more and ask the owner what she wants then just go with a normal 5-way as you said, but then maybe a S1 switch to split the coils? I think most SD HBs are splittable.
    Good Luck!

5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    She just wants the standard Stratocaster positions.
    The way it’s wired now, there’s not even a neck pickup only position, which is one of the best tones on a strat (as far as I’m concerned).

I’m going to pickup a regular 5-way switch this weekend and try this diagram out.
    Looks to be the best one for what I’ve been asked to do.
    F50A2519-0289-451F-8C89-36BAC55A7BC9.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

That should do it.

7. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I agree, I watched a review video (more of a testimonial!) of the Fender Strat a few days ago that reminded me they have at least 4 great switch positions: the neck alone is magic, the bridge is distinctive and great and the 2 and 4 "quack" positions sound fantastic and are unlike any other guitar.

Not meaning to give you a hard time but you've got to do her the favor of spending a few more bucks and splitting that HB. Split, a good pickup like that SD will probably sound like a really good SSS Strat. Buy a S1 switch or a small toggle or a push-pull pot and split that thing! All it needs is the switch!
    I've got a Fender Pawn Shop '51 that has a split coil HB in the bridge and it is fantastic. I normally run the guitar split as SS but when I kick in the second coil for a lead it really jumps out and kicks butt.

I'm sure that SD has another wiring diagram for a HSS with a split coil.
    And the second tone control should be wired for the HB alone, like my Player Strat. Top tone for overall, bottom tone for bridge pickup.

Pic of my 2010 Pawn Shop '51 just because it is rare.
    8 Fender Pawn Shop 51 Butterscotch Blonde.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.