Storing guitars in or out of the case?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Desirsar, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Envious here. Keeping humidty level in 40-60% Taylor’s recommended range
    is no easy chore in some parts of the country. Do you live above a cigar shop? :cool:

2. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    LWR
    Normally I have one or two out on stands - presently its the Falcons as they are my go-to guitars these days.

IMG_3362.JPG

Everything else is in it's proper case or gig bag - except for the pedal steel. It lived in its case for the past 20 years waiting until there was enough room to set it up. It is a permanent fixture from now on - and loads of fun to play!

IMG_3363.JPG

3. banjoman69

banjoman69 Electromatic

Jul 16, 2009
    Tennessee
    Well I had never posted a pic on here before and I guess that’s pretty obvious since I didn’t have an explanation with the pics I sent. I made these sliding trays , 7 of them so that my instruments that I play more often than others would be readily accessible. I slide the tray out, open the case as the lid stays open while I remove the banjo, etc, then grab the instruments, close the case and slide it back in until I’m through playing. The other pic is a design I put together and the wife got the material and sewed it up for me, even put a pocket on it for picks it has a plastic tube for the hoop at the bottom to keep it expanded for easy on/off. I typically leave a carbon fiber guitar on the stand all the time and this just keeps dust off.

4. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I have a whole lot of guitars, and usually all but one of them are hidden in hard cases. Never on stands, never hung on the wall.

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    This my last iteration of the question : all in (4 amps, guitars & cases storage) solution.

IMG_4472.JPG

Some doors are giving a direct access to 4 or 5 guitars max. Some others just 1 + 3 to 4 cases behind. Then every drawer has a duo of guitars. Amps are under the drawers 4x10" + 2x12" + 1x8" + 1x6"

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

=> 3m long x 65cm deep, that's a big space for my place, but I was even worst before it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    S.R.Cash, juks, section2 and 6 others like this.
  6. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    LWR
    All this makes me wonder how guitar players like Clapton, Malmsteen, Richards, Knopfler, Paisley, (insert name of your fave player here), etc... would weigh in on this subject.

7. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I would imagine for them it's a mix of both. They probably have a hundred or more guitars (or a thousand in bonamassa's case), so the vast majority are in some kind of temp/humidity controlled storage in cases. They probably also keep a bunch out on stands or hanging, etc.

One thing I see all the time on the youtuber or the otherwise professional guitarists who make youtube videos on the side is that they almost universally have a bunch of guitars outside of cases on racks, hanging, on stands, etc. I've watched a couple videos from some of them on the topic and the general consensus is that "out of sight is out of mind." They overwhelmingly suggest keeping guitars out and readily grabbable.

I also think the long term affects of keeping them out is really not worth talking about, as long as your humidity and temperature aren't varying wildly within a single day. Guitars are very durable. Even poorly treated ones can last many decades and still function acceptably.

8. Spidey

Spidey Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    What @Hickeroar said!

Out and hangin' up, with a row of amps underneath. I used to keep them in cases, but I didn't play those as much. After I got a meter I saw that my guitar room humidity stays in a decent range all yr round. It has a bathroom attached so maybe the toilet evaporation has something to do with that, IDK. 6 yrs later and no issues at all.

Sometimes I'll play with only a few minutes to spare, like when waiting on the wife to get ready. So I started hanging them all up eventually and found myself playing more. When I walk in I grab the one that fits the mood, plug and go until I hear my wife yelling. "HONEY!" "Come on lets go!!" Like a women has a shoe closet, mine's a guitar closet,.. but bigger.

9. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I leave a parts Strat out on a stand but the rest are in cases. I like having one readily available and I'm forever hoping my kids may see it and play it too. They don't...yet. Since the cases for my favorites are in visual view for me it's easy to just pull one and open it. They are not out of sight or out of mind. My Duo Jet is the guitar I play the most and it's in a case.

10. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    Pretty recent empty nesters and having four bedrooms, I get to have a music room now all to myself. Its awesome, I get to keep all twelve guitars out all the time. Now I play all my guitars all the time, where as before most of them got neglected. I sit on my stool and can reach seven of them without standing up. Where I live the humidity is about where you want it and doesn’t fluctuate that much.

new6659, Desirsar and BuddyHollywood like this.
  11. mdahearn

mdahearn Electromatic

May 13, 2020
    Oakland
    My experience with gold plated hardware on my 6120-59LH was keeping it in the case, the off gassing of the glue for the plush was tarnishing the hardware. I store my guitar on a stand out of the case now and the tarnishing issue has ended

12. Celebrity guitar players weigh in: The maid takes care of all that.

Why?

Wavey likes this.
  13. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Odd. Of all these posts, and this is a Gretsch site, only two mention the issue of binding rot on vintage Gretsch guitars. And, recently, we had an entire posting about it. I have learned the hard way that if you want your 'real' vintage Gretsch i.e. 60's and before, to get binding rot at an accelerated speed, keep it in the case. That will do it. I have many vintage Gretsch guitars (and others), that many years ago following the debacle of two examples of the in-case accelerated rot, purchased wall hangars and kept them out of the cases (if you do, be sure you protect the neck area where it touches the hanger as they can interact poorly with the finish). Many posters like their guitars to be visual and immediately playable, others want to keep them out of any danger and dust free. It is a personal decision. No one is right or wrong. But Gretsch rot (on most vintage guitars from this period including D'Angelico) is a very real thing. It may not happen to your vintage guitar for some time, but it will happen. It is science, not prayer. Delay it as long as you can. Keep them in the open air. And, if you have one that already has some rot keep it away from the others. The gas off will affect the other vintage guitars nearby. Right now I am in the process of moving. I have a studio - unlike my previous home where I had a dedicated guitar room. I keep all my 'potential rot' guitars here in the studio and try and keep the cases open. Yes, it is a pain, but I rotate three at a time - two on a good floor stand and one on a wall hanger. The other guitars are at my daughters until I get resettled. Best I can do for now to protect these great guitars from the dreaded rot scourge. JMO

Hickeroar and mbkri like this.
  14. Desirsar

Desirsar Electromatic

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    How much will that affect one that was built in the last year, though?

15. Uh. The Scourge of Binding Rot.
    I think this was first observed by the classical Greek guitarist Sardonicus.

Anyone casing their guitars should include a sprig of mint.
    Mint is seasonal, in the winter when mint is in short supply—I toss in two Wintergreen LifeSavers.

16. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I'm an "all out on display" guy, either in racks or hanging. I've got central A/C and a hygrometer in the music room - humidity seems to stay pretty stable at about 45-50%. No problems, even for the acoustics.

I got super lucky when I bought my house, the shelving in the garage was perfect for case storage, so that's where they all went. Sure, I need a ladder to pull one down, but haven't had that need so much recently.

Cases.jpg

Jackrd likes this.
  17. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I only uses cases when i´m taking the guitar somewhere ....
    Never even thought about storing them in cases

18. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    A case is the safest place for a guitar, no doubt. But I like to keep mine out where I'll see them and play them.

My acoustics live in my homemade IKEA humidor. (It's a Billy bookcase with some foam weatherstripping lining the doors, a pair of 2x4s to support the guitar hangers, and some wet sponges in Rubbermaid containers to keep the case at the right humidity level. Works like a charm.)

20210924_154157.jpg

My electrics can handle reasonable humidity changes, so they live on wall hangers and stands. (This is easier now that my kids are old enough not to pose a mortal threat to the guitars.)

PXL_20201212_004725283.NIGHT~2.jpg

new6659, TubeLife and Hickeroar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.