Storing guitars in or out of the case?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Desirsar, Sep 19, 2021.

1. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    All are in cases. That minimizes the effects of humidity and temperature variations but more importantly it provides protection against a clumsy move on my part. When I go into my music room I know I am going to play a guitar and generally which one. If I change my mind the few minutes it takes to open a case isn't an issue.

Craig Encinitas and Runamok like this.
  2. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I've said it before, but here goes.
    Had only one guitar at one time, oh so many years ago. Kept it out to play. Got a few more....dust. Hung things on the wall for a few years, then one night <crash> one of my Telecasters (My Micawbre clone) decided to slip loose the dogs of (wall hanger) war and took a good 6-ft fall give or take, from it's bridge to the floor, crashing into a few things along the way. One of those was a cheaply framed pic of Keith Richards in the studio playing a black Les Paul...
    Things immediately went into cases at that point! Minor damage to the guitar, major damage to the frame and 'glass' (plastic).
    Last year, covid and such, sparked major re-interest in the fleet. Rediscovered guitars I hadn't played in years. Nothing vintage (1990 Squier II Strat count as vintage??) but I have good guitars that were forgotten. During that lock-down I started upgrading as needed, proper set-ups, new nuts as needed, etc. I played everything (all 6 electrics) as they deserved to be played...often!! So, now a year plus change, I keep then out to be seen and to inspire and to be played.
    However, some have started to creep back into their cases, because of a possible re-fin (one of my Teles) and one because I may sell her (Epi Sheraton)..
    So dust on a guitar, vs in a case and forgotten.
    And besides, with my less-than stellar 53-year old back it's easier to reach for a guitar on a stand than to bend over and get it out of the case everyday. Okay, you bend over, pick up the case, lay it on a chair/sofa, and remove from case...every time you wanna play it. After a few days.....
    'Nuff said.

Craig Encinitas and Viking Power like this.
  3. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    I like to have them close at hand for encouraging me to play. Also, guitars are a beautiful thing. They are art. Art should not be hidden.

AC7D3A00-3067-40E4-8E67-5FA58D3BBF00.jpeg 02564E34-304A-4C61-A9F9-3591D95D54FF.jpeg

4. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Gretschie

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    Unfortunately, I do have to.
    But I will admit to grabbing the easiest accessible axe 9/10 times. And that would be the Strat hanging up on a closet hook in its bag.
    (It’s also the most comfortable to play.)

Did I mention I haven’t missed a single day of playing since I started this year? :p

My biased opinion:

If I’m too lazy to take a guitar out of it’s
    protective enclosure…

You know the rest.

;)

5. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    Since I started writing songs and attempting to record them at home, playing more often has taken care of itself. Like many of you, I sometimes worry that guitars in the case might be a barrier to more frequent playing. So far, that has not been true for me. I'm so compelled to grind on the songs, popping out one or both of my electrics is easy. If I ever tire of recording (I'm on the learning curve so it's relatively new and interesting), I may have to hang the guitars on the wall. For now, I'm happy to be obsessively careful with them.

6. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I should add that I have guitar stands so I can potentially have 3 guitars out. Might have one in hand and two on stands but everyone back in their cases when done.

7. In the case, but always include a little soil from its country of origin.

Out all the time: Try that with acoustic.
    Had a friend act like I was crazy being concerned abt humidity. Of course, most of his guitars were solid body electrics, or laminate acoustics. So I got lazy because I had done periodic damage to the guitar with case latches in tight spaces as I took it out, or put it back in its bunker…

25+ yr old acoustic. Likes 40-60% humidity.
    I had to get a bridge remounted last winter because I left it on a stand for a few weeks.

Gotten sloppy in recent years & didn’t humidify it regularly in its case.
    Popped the bridge clear over the back of the guitar stand.

On electrics can expect fret “sprout” cracking the binding or rough to play as freboard shrinks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Bertotti likes this.
  8. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    A few are in the cases. Most are on stands 365 days a year. I have no problems. Guitar players usually are worry wart's anyway. And the worry more about their gear than their , car, kids, house, wife etc... They will show their house in pictures and video's. Dumps, nasty, hoarder house, trash all over, junky rusted cars, ugly yards etc.. siding falling off. Playing in a dirty bedroom. But their guitars are immaculate, amps, cases, etc... Playing Gibson LP's playing in a dirty room etc..

And do not get me started on guitars, amp, etc.. hanging in the bathroom or potty rom. They show pictures of amps guitars on the wall and play them when they set and have to go potty. A guy On YouTube just got a new house. Had expensive equipment on the new guitar room. And had acoustics guitars and bass guitars hanging in the bathroom. Guitar pictures etc... Some say how many have a amp and guitar like me and play while taking a ____ in the bathroom? Or gear hanging in the bathroom. Gross. I tell them they are so nasty plum nasty 10 times over.

If you cannot take time to go to the bathroom with out a guitar in you hand to play, or have a amp in the bathroom so you can play while in there something to me is wrong with that picture. And what do you do when the toilet overflows?

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  9. GuitarDust Memories. Slow Dancing in a Dirty Room.

Edit/Disclaimer: ;) Just so there is no mistake: this is a bad joke.
    No guitars were displayed in the making of this joke.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  10. ImGoodThanks

ImGoodThanks Electromatic

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    In the stand, while I'm playing one or two over the course of a day or a week.

Back in their case and the cupboard when not being played.

11. Roadies?

I know I shouldn’t wonder any further, but does anyone here have a guest bathroom with a guest guitar on its stand? Sort of creating one’s own Graceland.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  12. Guitars covering matted pictures & a boomerang on the wall. “Eclectic” Guitar.

Viking Power likes this.
  13. deeperblue

deeperblue Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Tokyo
    Case if I got one. My Broadway Jade Penguin was purchased used and sent without a case. Made several attempts to get a case including ordering the wrong one, a very costly mistake from my location. Fingers crossed with correct case on the way.

14. Luthier47

Luthier47 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2021
    East coast USA
    None of my guitars are in cases. I have several vintage guitars that were in cases and after 8 years of not playing them, bindings were starting to delaminate . None of the hanger guitars had anything more than dust. The area I’m in has an average indoor humidity around 55%.

Craig Encinitas, Runamok and mbkri like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Good luck to anyone who thinks they can leave a guitar out all the time. If you're in a location or have the ability to constantly control your humidity and temps Great. Sadly every even in their own homes do not have this and will need protection for their instruments. I used to leave my electrics out year-round but my humidity change drastically and short of a small fortune it is not possible for me to control the humidity well enough for them. The acoustics I didn't even try to leave out. The electrics needed two setups minimum, every year and I got sick of adjusting neck relief because of humidity changes over the months. So like I said earlier cases are needed. I hope no new kids in highly fluctuating areas read this thread and get the wrong idea because leaving them out in some of the conditions I see here would cause some minor to serious issues over time. That said I do sometimes take them out and let them hang all day or over a weekend and never had an issue with that. I have experienced that they do not equilibrate to the house humidity instantly so if I re-case them every evening or at the end of a weekend I'm pretty much good to go. Roll the dice the way you want.

16. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    If you got 'em, flaunt 'em.
    [​IMG]

17. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Gretschie

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    I rotate them (more or less monthly) as I can only have 2 out at a time due to space. Temperature is all over the place and humidity is high as I live on the Pacific ocean. I generally have a dehumidifier on in the storage area - if I'm careful it sticks around 65%. They're guitars and most of them are very expensive but they have been handling it for years without complaint. Then again I'm a guitarist not a guitar storage facility.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  18. rocko

rocko Electromatic

With each passing year the possibility of having an abdominal 6 pack is an ever-fading memory but my Gretsch 6 pack remains in the rack so I can play a different one daily and simply randomly choose one to play Sunday. Unless they're going somewhere, they are always on display. g6pak.jpg

19. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    All cases, regardless of the fact that my room is humidity and temperature controlled. Like a giant humidor, if you will.

20. Blue Eyed Floozy

Blue Eyed Floozy Electromatic

I leave a Tele hanging on the wall to remind me that I'm supposed to play the danged thing. I did the same with a 90's era Hamer Newport USA, and the brass/gold patina'd a bit. Both of them stayed in tune better if I left them in the case. My Taylor 12 stays in the case (usually laying in the middle of the floor of my music room) with a home-made humidifier inside--piece of a damp kitchen sponge in a plastic bar soap container that I drilled the bejesus out of on top.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.