Storing guitars in or out of the case?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Desirsar, Sep 19, 2021.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Where I live in New England the humidity and temperature changes on a dime. I keep all my guitars in cases now just to be cautious. My teles are probably fine on stands, but they live in their cases anyway.
    I had a close call a few years back with an open window during a strange and intense morning frost in the early autumn a few years back. I learned my lesson.

deeperblue and Craig Encinitas like this.
  2. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    BTW I guess this counts. I had two Ric basses and Gibson explorer bass, Ric 330 and Fender tele in cases, never opened for 20 years. Not kidding.

One Ric bass needed some attention with some oxidation in pods and Jack. Cost me $60 with local luthier including setup. The rest were just fine when covid started and I got back to playing.

So in my experience hard cases are quite safe, at least in California environment.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Cases here

Cazza64 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

Wall hangers for the frequent players (that rotate from time to time) and cases for the others.

Floor stands can be problematic with toddlers and pets as noted previously.

Then there was that one guy on one of these forums who's wife ran the vacuum around his studio and the working end bumped the stand where he kept his Gibson. The usual event mixing a broken headstock, tears, and drama ensued.

Hickeroar likes this.
  5. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
  6. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Humidity here is wilder than my moods, they live in cases.

7. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Mine are out, all the time. I have two Hercules 5-guitar stands (each expanded to 7) and those are in the closet with my guitars sitting in them. I can always just close the closet door if need be. If they are in the cases I kind of forget about them. I like having them out so I can see them all and let my mood decide what to play.

Marv666, new6659, mbkri and 2 others like this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Storing guitars in or out of the case?
    In the case for me - or as @dmunson said :
    A+!

9. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    In the case as a rule, but on weekends when I have more time to play my favorites are out and about on stands.
    Winter it's case time all the time unless I'm playing them to keep them hydrated.

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I keep a few (collectibles) in their cases. The rest are in tree stands except my Strats and Teles that are in floor racks.

new6659 and mbkri like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    My electrics hang on the wall, including my Tennessee Rose. My 2 good acoustics, solid wood Nitrocellulose finished Martin and Guild, live in their respective humidified cases.

Marv666 and Hickeroar like this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

If it's a vintage Gretsch, then out of the case to discourage binding rot.

Otherwise, I still prefer out of the case if I have a safe environment. That's the beauty of wall hangers. They're out of the reach of animals and toddlers, and don't present an obstacle for clumsy or drunk adults to trip over.

Marv666, Jackrd, mbkri and 3 others like this.
  13. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Wall hangers for all electrics, which isn’t a huge amount. Takamine Cedar top Acoustic stays in the case.

20068952-CEE5-4B94-AD6A-E8DA738D2866.jpeg

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    My vintage stuff is out all year round on stands,i have my Rick 12 and my P bass out all the time too,then rotate one other every month or so.

But yes,if they're not out they're in cases,well,except for the P bass,cause i don't have a case or bag for it.

mbkri likes this.
  15. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

My 2 Gretschs are on stands as I play them almost daily...one hollow body and one solid. I keep the room hummidy between 45 and 55%. No kids or animals running around here anymore.

16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Mine are all kept in their cases dust free…

Cazza64 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Would you be so kind as to tell me about the 2x exposed wood cab? 2x12 or 15 which speakers? How does it sound?

18. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Gretschie

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I was once asked to write a column for beginning guitarists. When I was forced to think about this issue, I settled on the idea that your guitar needs to be left out in the open where it can call out to you like a friend and remind you to practice. Out of sight, out of mind is no good at all if your goal is to become a better player. You shouldn't have to case anything in your own home.

Marv666, Gregor, capnhiho and 2 others like this.
  19. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    This was ultimately my conclusion as well. When I kept my guitars in cases, I didn't play them half as much as I do now. Keeping them out permanently, on display, makes it easy to grab one off the wall, plug it in, and go to town.

20. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Sure! It’s a Bag End 2x12 cabinet that I stripped the black paint off of.

Speakers are JBL e120’s and can be ran as a 4 ohm 2x12 or a single or dual/stereo 8 ohm 1x12. Sounds fantastic but not mobile with those speakers. It came loaded with EVM 12L’s which I still have.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.