Storing guitars in or out of the case?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Desirsar, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Desirsar

Desirsar Electromatic

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    Got a stand for my birthday, but I just can't bring myself to have the Gretsch out of the case to put on the stand, even if it would make pictures prettier. Any other people keep them hidden in hard cases or am I just being weird?

20210919_184830.jpg

2. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Gretschie

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    Bag for the Strat.
    Cases for the Tele and Gretsch rigs.
    They get wiped down almost every session and periodically polished.

I’m also in the “I don’t understand faux relic” crowd. I worked hard for all this equipment, and it’s going to be treated accordingly.

My buddy has a custom $4k guitar and it’s filthy. To each their own.

3. Desirsar

Desirsar Electromatic

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    That's actually what's in the bag. It's also covered in stickers, I took the bag off shortly after taking the picture. I'll pretend it'll get used more if I can just grab it without unzipping.

Craig Encinitas and Archtops like this.
  4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Use the stand when A & B ing your guitars. Or just playing one or two then re-case them.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Cases are meant for protection first, then for toting guitars around.
    Cases keep your guitar free from sticky toddler fingers and dog's noses.

6. Groutsch

Groutsch Synchromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I have three guitar stands, because I don't want more than three guitars out of their cases at any time.

Gretschzilla and Craig Encinitas like this.
  7. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    What’s better for your guitar’s health, being cased or being aired out on a stand?

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  8. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    In cases or bags. In stands when I'm playing them.

Gretschzilla and Craig Encinitas like this.
  9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    D52ECE77-0D84-45CE-A50D-050DFCBF83D3.jpeg Out.
    I have 8 herco humidifiers that i place inside the guitar stand case, in between each guitar. I check and rewet them every week. In the dry winter months they all go back in their individual cases though.

10. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I keep a couple out because if they’re in my sight I play more. My general rule is gold hardware stays in the case when not in use. I have no data to back it up but I feel like they don’t fade as quickly.

11. KaHOnas

KaHOnas Electromatic

I keep my grab'n'play Ibanez hung on a hook mounted to an old oak entertainment center that I've repurposed for my amp and various guitar/instrument accoutrements. Everything else is in the case. My hollows (4 of them) each have a humidifier that I rewet periodically. My wife mentioned I should display them. Nah... there's a fair bit of dust in my house and it'd be a chore keeping them clean if I were to keep them out all the time.

The Ibanez may be getting "abused" but it's been a great piece. Always ready to go. I do wipe it down and keep the strings clean. And, as Wabash Slim mentioned above, it's above gross kid fingers and dog noses.

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would hang them up for awhile but with remodels and such they are in their cases year round. My window of opportunity to hang them is small and humidifying my house is not an option. Cases are our friend

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    wabash slim and Craig Encinitas like this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    All but 2 of my guitars are at my parents house, no kids and only two small lap dogs, all of them are either on stands or on hangers.
    The guitars at my house are in cases as my 2 year old loves to play them when ever she can.

14. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I hang all my guitars on my office wall and play them all anywhere from daily to every couple weeks. I only put them in the cases when I'm going somewhere with them. I keep them wiped clean and treated nicely. I also have a hygrometer on the wall that lets me know if the humidity gets out of whack. They pretty much stay right around 50-55% humidity year round.

5D6E15EC-9899-472D-A0CA-02892F8A70E4.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  15. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    Electrics are in cases most of the time. I left them out for the last 6 days as I got a bit lazy. I saw a wee bit of dust on one so gave them a thorough clean and polish. I can keep the rh from 45-50% most of the time in all 4 seasons. Keep an rh meter in each case and the two rooms with music stuff. My acoustic sits on a stand in my office so I can grab it for a quickie any time I’m free. Kids are gone and the cats are disinterested. As a previous poster said, I try to keep my electrics looking like new. When I get my dream acoustic (Taylor 714CE), it will get the same love.

16. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I've got 2 acoustics that are currently in their cases (we were running the a/c earlier in the summer) but weather permitting, all mine are usually out and on wall hangers. Having them out facilitates more playing.

Craig Encinitas and Hickeroar like this.
  17. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    It depends on your personal environment. I keep the windows open often weather permitting. Utilities ain't cheap. The humidity here can change up to 45% thru the course of the day in summer. High humidity, case closed. Good humidity, like now, case open so she & the case can breathe. I keep a hygrometer on the coffee table to keep tabs & sometimes put it in the case to check there.

18. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Yeah, that's the truth. If I had wildly varying humidity and/or temperature like that, I'd definitely not keep mine hung up all the time.

19. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    If I could afford heat & a/c as needed I would.

20. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    While I keep a couple out that I'm going to be playing, the rest are in cases. I'm constantly rotating what's to be cased and what's to be played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.