Stick to my Gretsch 2622T Streamliner or move on .....

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by GuitAl, Aug 7, 2020.

1. GuitAl

GuitAl Electromatic

Played my Gretsch 2622T Streamliner DC CB Bigsby IS for a few months now. I still love this guitar.
    But ....... I like to play the blues, although I'm trying to learn how. Sometimes I think this guitar isn't that suitable to play the blues. All the great blues artists play other kind of guitars, very often a Fender Stratocaster which has this sort of sparkling sound. Must my next guitar be a Fender Stratocaster......?? I would like to hear from other fans of blues music ( BB King, Christone 'Kingfish' Ingram, Ronnie Earl, Henrik Freischlader etc.) what they think of this. Thanks.

SteveL, Davis Sharp and Floo like this.
  2. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    The 2622 is basically a close relative to the ES-335, so it's definitely able to create blues-tones. If you're more into Strat-sounds, you need another guitar, but if you like the feel and basic sound of your Gretsch, you probably just need to adjust your pickups and amp to find some inspiring sounds. If you'd like do dig deeper into it, you may want to try different pickups (P90s in full humbucker size)!

Zeek, Mr Swisher, Randy99CL and 2 others like this.
  3. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Use your knobs, create your Gretsch blues tone, it's in there, I have faith in you.
    previous comment aside I too have guitars because of players , genres, tones that I admire, but I use them all for everything I play.
    What my band mates dig is how I play the same material that we do differently on each guitar.
    By the way no one here will discourage you from adding additional instruments. :D
    PS, this week I'm a big fan of my Franken Tele (CV blonde body with CV custom slab neck, and various parts)
    IMG_2259.jpg

4. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Squire 50s or 60s Strat would probably scratch that itch for not a lot of scratch. :D

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I suggest that you keep buying guitars until you find the right tone. :)

Go to your nearby guitar store and try a Strat, Les Paul, ES-335, SG, even a Tele. As noted above, Squier's and Epiphones make affordable and well built versions.

6. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    My 2 eurocents: you have a great guitar. And every great tone is in the fingers, not in the gear.:)

P.s. That said, buy a new guitar it’s always a good choice. More guitars, more options, more fun! :D

Floo likes this.
  7. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Well multiple guitars are fun but an expensive way to chase tone. True, if you want a Stratocaster sound, get a Stratocaster. However, tone is a chain: player style, guitar, guitar settings, pedals and amp. As an example, look at all the styles that are played with a Telecaster; blues, rock, country, americana and jazz. I replaced the neck pick up with a single coil pickup in my 2622 and really like the result. I am thinking of replacing the bridge pick up as the Broad'Tron doesn't move me. Meanwhile I live in the neck position.

section2, Merc and GuitAl like this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    There are great blues tones in the 2622T, you can find them. They won't be the same as what you'll find in a Strat, or a Telecaster. Depends what you like of course, but beware... it's too easy to fall into the rabbit hole chasing tone. Work with what you have at hand for a while, see what happens. My two cents.

section2 and capnhiho like this.
  9. SteveL

SteveL Newbie

Feb 22, 2020
    Johnson City, NY
    If you're going for a sweet BB King type tone, try the neck pickup, with some treble rolled off the master tone. Or season to taste to find your favorite.

Before I bought my 2622T, I watched a number of YouTube vendor demos to make sure it would cover all my desired bases. Some user demo videos used their favorite settings (e.g., bridge p'up w/dirty tone), so I didn't get the full picture at first.

nickurso, GlenP and GuitAl like this.
  10. GuitAl

GuitAl Electromatic

Thanks Floo. Will check that out.

11. GuitAl

GuitAl Electromatic

Thanks, love your 'blondie' .....

GlenP likes this.
  12. GuitAl

GuitAl Electromatic

Food for thoughts .... You are probably right. Thanks.

pmac11 likes this.
  13. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The common Gretsch sound doesn't help with the Blues IMHO. But, heck different people get different sounds out of most anything! You could load some P90's in there...

GlenP likes this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Sometimes perception is everything. Don't give up on your Gretsch already.

As the others have said, your G2622 is a 335 clone with roots in the blues. Those sounds are in there, you just need to find how to bring them out. Pedals, amp settings, pick and finger dynamics, etc.

I think GFS will ship to you and they have great pickups for not much money. Those in your G2622 are HB-sized so swapping them out is easy. And they do sell some HB sized P-90s that will fit too.
    There must be someone over there that sells pickups, Thomann??

And there are always used Squier Strats for sale cheap around here. Or get a Harley Benton, the reviews on those are very good.

15. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    What you really need is a Big Muff Pi. All guitars become equal with those puppies turned on.

dougmon and GlenP like this.
  16. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I would prioritise the feel of the guitar and how it speaks to you over a given models tone or look.

I’ve wanted a Strat for years as literally nothing sounds like a good Strat neck pickup. But over the last few months I’ve played every Fender Strat all the way up to a £4k Custom Shop model. But I just don’t get on with the feel of them. I temporarily went for a PRS DGT because it sounded soooo close but - whilst I did love the feel of the neck - it’s just not “me” so I took it back.

I’m gonna use the tones I get from my Gretsch and Gibson guitars where I feel “at home” and will definitely play better as a result.

I have now ordered another amp, though ... :)

Merc likes this.
  17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    How good are you? If you are still in the early stages of learning I would not worry to much about tone just yet. If your getting pretty good at guitar you probably know the type of tone your after and chasing tone can be fun. You will eventually find your tone, not someone else’s.

section2 and Mr Swisher like this.
  18. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Blues is a genre that’s not really dependent on gear.
    If you think the blues is in the guitar more than the guitarist you’re in for a long disappointing series of guitars to wind up in the same crappy place.

Wjensen and new6659 like this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's not the guitar---it's the guitarist.
    I see blues players with Les Pauls, 335s, and Strats. BB King made his sound with a 335 with a transistor amp; SRV used a Strat and high powered Dumbles and Fender amps. All wildly different guitars and amps. It's not what you play, it's how you play it. Experiment with your controls and settings. Lots of old bluesmen couldn't afford multiple guitars---just one guitar and one amp. It's all in the fingers.

Most of all, have fun.

Jeff67, Oywee72, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    The blues is about you, not the guitar.

Having said that.. Trying and buying guitars is one of life's joys. You have a guitar... Play it and enjoy it. Whilst you are doing that you can check out some stores and play some potential new ones until one grabs your attention.

Win win!

dougmon and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.