Stereo?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Anyone here have a purely stereo board? I kicked that idea around but ruled it out quickly because I like my other pedals to much to ditch them so I was wondering if anyone runs different effects or different pre is fuzz etc pedals into different sides of a stereo pedal. For me the big sky or spectrum will be last in line because they are stereo and I want to run to two amps or inputs to my daw but I am unsure how I should layout the mono pedals leave them summed and going to just a mono in and stereo out or run. Items like my carbon copy to say left and the nail head to right? Or put different fuzz and gain on left or right or just keep one clean? I think they all have possibilities but I am curious if there are some things that people who have done this just know don’t work? Thanks!

ishtar likes this.
  2. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    my board will gradually become stereo - waiting on my second amp to get finished, so no rush.

my chain will be: boost, bass eq, two channel preamp, stereo loop / buffer (empress) - split into r & l.

right: passive volume, tube fuzz (most old school fuzzes need to be first in line, but not this), stereo trem, stereo trem #2, analog delay, stereo reverb, stereo looper.

left: passive volume #2, big muff style fuzz (also not an “only first” fuzz), stereo trem, stereo trem #2, analog delay #2, stereo reverb, stereo looper.

both sides return to buffer / fx loop pedal, then out to amps.

the empress buffer stereo has a polarity switch for one side, which is good, but i don’t expect it to fix all my potential phasing issues. probably need to have stereo bypass / polarity switch boxes made for the non digital stereo pedals (tremolos), but maybe not. phase issues are tricky. so probably.

i expect to have the change from mono to stereo take, like, forever, and be worked on by pros a few times before it actually works.

but i’ve been wanting this board for... 25 years? i can wait for it a little longer.

(on board but not in chain: programmable master tap tempo control.)

Bertotti and ishtar like this.
  3. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Lordy, Mr. Rain's configuration is amazing! Loopers on each end! Awesome! Seems mind bogglingly complex.

Maybe we can get some photos of what we all do in regard to this thread?

I don't have two initial chains of mono pedals that go into two inputs of a stereo pedal, but...

I have my mono pedals as first items in the chain, and eventually they meet a stereo pedal, so I connect the mono chain into the (usually left) mono input of a stereo pedal, then use both outputs of that pedal. The signal then is split and left and right signals together continue on to a couple other stereo pedals.

Presently, I run the mono chain into a Boss ME-80, then split stereo signals out from the ME-80 to a couple of stereo line 6 stomp boxes, and from there into a stereo Ditto x 2 looper, and finally out to two amps across the room from each other. I don't have phase trouble at this time, but have in the past. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of signals and sounds... This hasn't always been the case with other set up orders/sequences... Things change and evolve, but right now, I have lucked out with a good sounding rig with very little noise.

Having two different effect signals going into a Blue Sky would be interesting.... and for me would involve an extra task of balancing and coordinating the two separate signals, and that is a challenge I have avoided... but you have me wondering and thinking about that now.

The current effect chain sequence here is as follows- Tube Screamer (Overdrive) > Black Secret (RAT like Distortion) > EH Micro Pog (octave shift) > EH Freeze > moo into > ME-80 (multi effect/amp sim) > stereo out and split into to Line 6 DL-4 (delay) > stereo out and into Line 6 M5 (multi effect) > stereo out and into Ditto x 2 (looper) > left signal out to deLisle Double Nickel amp (left side of room) > right signal out to Princeton Reverb amp (right side of room)....

The amps are sometimes mic-ed to record, sometimes no amps and stereo signals sent to DAW input device... As I mentioned already, ultimately the configuration will change. The variables are immense in number!

I'd love to read about your chain sequence and signal splits...

mister rain and Bertotti like this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Maybe when I get the next dream home that has a music studio. I can't turn my amp down any more and two of them would get me sleeping in the car.

Waxhead, ishtar and Bertotti like this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I my "rack-days" back in the late 80ies/early 90ies I used to play a stereo system.
    I ditched it because it was too complicated and prone to failiure (we had a very humid rehearsing space back then and there were always oxidation problems with the electrical connections). The biggest problem was the sound ranging. Somehow the guitar had no firm place in the on-stage mix. I mostly blame it on my use of a chorus back then.
    One day I found out that I like the dry signal much more than the processed one and consequently got rid of everything else in the signalchain except the cable and the amp.

wabash slim and Bertotti like this.
  6. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    I'm mono, analog, 9 volt, made in USA, and 100% JHS. That's all I have to say about that.

7. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    note: initial looper is “fx loop,” not looper. empress stereo buffer +.

thinking of getting another one, actually.

my goal with this is being able to blend in (hence vol pedals) dirt + delay with clean + different (but time synched) delay.

and i’ve always been entranced by fast trem into slow pan.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have noticed stereo doesn't always work in a mix. My opinion only but everything needs its place but if you are designing your songs and sounds around it it can work great.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Can you image how many people wouldn't notice anything stereo about this? Considering that most music comes out as pretty much mono, a single Bluetooth speaker will never give a stereo output. It may sound great in the studio or your bedroom, but in a noisy bar, what are the odds?

Bertotti likes this.
  10. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    exactly why my default set up is axe -> amp.

11. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    worth noting i never would have tried to bring this project into reality if not for quarentimes.

12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's always been mine. The KISS Principle in action.
    I want to play guitar, not tap dance.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I like simple but I also like to mess around and in my home stereo is very cool. The BigSky and Spectrum deliver some crazy stereo sounds. With synths and guitar it is just a kick to mess with.

on a side note I wonder how many pros plan for quality stereo. If it just the engineer finding a fit in the mix? Do any of them try to create a three dimensional musical world for the listener interested in actually listening that way? I can honestly most of music I listen to is in a car or single speaker. Occasionally I will connect two for stereo but in my mind that isn’t as good as it can get.

14. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    my first dive back into pedals was necessary - my gemini ii’s trem is weak as ****.

so, enter effectrode delta trem. only box i used for quite a bit. had a great analog delay, but wasn’t about to hump a board for something i’d almost never use.

then looper. i play solo, and always loved composing on the fly.

then covid. preamp, tube fuzz, digital reverb followed.

it’s a slippery slope, folks.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    aw, edited cursing. sorry folks - line cook at effin work.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    There is something awesome about a wide stereo spread. I have a few stereo pedals but mostly for convenience use my ME50.
    I always use 2 different amps to play in stereo it gives a much wider more tonally complex. I have a few choices but all my amps are low wattage.

mister rain likes this.
  17. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I love playing in stereo (at home). I just started recording in stereo, at home. I use the old school method of a row of pedals into a couple of stereo pedals at the end going to two different but similar sounding amps.

When I record my 5f1 champ, I will have to split the signal right off the bat. One signal to the filthy champ, the other signal through at least a fuzz and into a clean amp. This, again, will get me two different but similar sounds in stereo.

mister rain likes this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've done several setups w/ the stereo/biamp split at different spots in the path. Makes a huge difference to me, especially when running clean/dirty or wet/dry, or going to disk/tape. To a large extent how noticeable it is winds up being a product of what you're doing w/ the stereo/multi-amp setup.

It does require extra cables & amps & potentially pedals though & in the case of stereo effects if a venue requires reinforcement for FOH & runs mono it's not going to make much difference & could actually cause problems (same could be said for clean/dirty or wet/dry to a lesser extent). The bigger shows I've seen running stereo done right I certainly noticed & enjoyed it though...

One of my favorite setups has been 2 amps, one w/ tube trem the other w/ a verb (usually spring) fed w/ a splitter at the end of the board. Sounds particularly awesome to me even when side by side, same thing for just blending characters of 2 different amps. You've got to haul an extra amp (& cab(s) maybe) & run 1 additional cable, but it's at least a little simpler the later in the path you do the split.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    mister rain likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You kiss your mama with that mouth?

Yeah, we all slip at times.

20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I use the basic Empree buffer, no contols, as a junction box, and it would work as a stereo buffer if you don't need the additional controls of the plus.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.