Stereo Speakers for iPhone/iPod Connection?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by NJDevil, Oct 17, 2021.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Bluetooth adapter for a radio

2. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Yes but my music is on my old 13+ y/o iPod. I have to buy a lot to upgrade with present times.

wabash slim likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have a Monoprice 15W/ch tube amp (I think Synchro has the same one) that I got as an open box deal for $100. It drives my Klipsch Cornwalls nicely---louder than I need or want. It has 1/4" phono and Bluetooth inputs. Easy as it gets.

NJDevil likes this.
  4. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    It doesn’t have blue tooth? It should the iPhone 5 has Bluetooth and I believe my 4s did

5. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I mean I actually have the iPod from many years ago before bluetooth was around.......clunky in comparison to the iPhone where when you use it, the device makes a mechanical sound. I currently have an iPhone 6s and am holding out until this thing cannot make any more calls or when the battery lasts only an hour.

Trust me when I say that the Fred Flintstone is far more progressed than I am. I still love vinyl records!! I think it's safe to say I finally boxed myself into the corner where any move I make next is an upgrade.

At least I know not to look for floppy disks anymore for my computer!!!!! :eek:

new6659 and Henry like this.
  6. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Nice and your input lets me at least know I'm on the right track as I've just scratched the surface looking at that route last night and today.

wabash slim likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I haven't read all the posts so my apologies if this is repetitive or already dismissed, but you can get a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver for $30 or less and just plug that into any stereo system. add some audio cords, splitters, RCA cables and you should be able to stream audio from your your Bluetooth device to pretty much any audio system.

NJDevil and J Bird like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You can get a Bluetooth transmitter that attaches to your audio out. So 2 BT devices but they are very inexpensive.

NJDevil likes this.
  9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I spent 40 years hooking up different sound gear for many applications in a profession capacity in theaters at three major universities. There are two things I've noticed in this thread that I won't deal with---Bluetooth speakers and Bose. Tiny, tinny Bluetooth speakers won't have the sound quality I want. Most I've come across were mono ,underpowered, and just lacking in quality. Let's just say that I'm spoiled by top quality sound gear. My amp receives Bluetooth signals so I can play things thru quality speakers, not the other way around.
    Aside from the early 101, 201, and 301 series of Bose gear, I've never been impressed with any of their products. The one positive thing I will say is that Amar G. Bose was one Hell of a salesman.

NJDevil likes this.
  10. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I have a Polk audio speaker that has WiFi connectivity and like it very much. I have a small server with music on my network, so the Polk system can play from my server. I read something about Bluetooth compressing the sound as opposed to WiFi not.
    WiFi speakers are less available than Bluetooth, but I don't know if it matters.

NJDevil likes this.
  11. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I thought I'd be criticized for turning away from Bose as they really don't make much of anything that impresses me. I do like the 201s I still have but have not used a stereo system in the house for years and the docking station was decent for the purpose I used it for.

Your description on Bluetooth speakers is spot on.....sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Just kicking the can around as I probably will not get anything until I'm satisfied with my research, but what do you think of these self powered shelf units? These are the least expensive, of their 3 models of powered speakers:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-41pm-powered-speakers

wabash slim likes this.
  12. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    There’s no 1/8 Audio In on the back of the Bose Sounddock?

13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They're probably fine. I like the idea of powered cabs myself, tho I'm not going to buy any at this stage of my life. I've got more gear than I need, or use. A friend uses Genelecs, and I've heard others as well. You're not going to get serious bass with a 4" woofer in a sealed box, no matter who makes it. It'll give you a flat response, and obviously better sound quality than a typical Bluetooth type.

Paul Klipsch is probably spinning in his grave over the changes in his company over the past few years. He named his first sealed cabinet the Heresy. Go figure. Klipsch is headquartered in Indy now, tho I'd expect their smaller units are made overseas. They still make the large units like Klipschhorns, La Scalas, and Cornwalls here in the states. I got to meet Paul Klipsch once---cantankerous old guy, opinionated and funny. He came up with his horn design in 1940, and no one has come up with a more efficient speaker yet. Not bad for a box of wood whittled out in his garage with a hand saw and a wood rasp.

NJDevil likes this.
  14. So, its likely a gen 3 iPod. It was gen 4 that added bluetooth.

NJDevil likes this.
  15. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Not just in this thread, but my memory does recall that your knowledge and experience runs deep in the land of audio....amps and speakers and more so I appreciate the input.

I have to say that I am not looking for anything to compliment a home audio system but rather speakers that are dynamic enough to invite one to like what they hear enough to play their guitar to or.....from either an iPod (I will be upgrading to the new ones w/ 32GB at about $200) or laptop that provide backing tracks. I don't think I really clearly stated this from the beginning.

With that said, I like that a powered speaker is an option you could give a thumbs up to.... I don't need a ton of base but also want to avoid the thin and tinny sound also so the standard Bluetooth set or external computer set isn't going to to cut it.

Please let me know if where and what else you might think are decent options and would like to keep the price south of $350. I knew the marketplace pretty well back in '95 but wow.....times have passed me by!!

wabash slim likes this.
  16. 32GB is probably what was available on your gen 3. (30GB usable).

If you can work with entry level, its a decent value. Apple is masterful at making you pay premium prices to upsize, but I can’t store my music on devices 3 or 4 times that size.

NJDevil likes this.
  17. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Believe or not, that iPod for pre '07 has 80GB and do not need that. For around $200, Apple now cells iPods that look like iPhones....I might even be able to stream backing tracks through but 32GB is really all I'll need and probably more.

18. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The speakers that you listed ought to be fine. Too bad there are no stereo/hi-fi stores around these days. You can go and try out different guitars and other things, but the old school stereo stores are long gone, leaving no way to A/B different speakers any more. I've been out of that market for decades myself. The speakers I'm using go back to the '60s, and some even the '50s. Good luck!

NJDevil likes this.
  19. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    FWIW:
    I have an Anker A3143 Stereo speaker (Bluetooth & 1/8" plugin) that delivers surprising balanced sound with good bass and overall presense. Not tinny at all. I use it frequently with backing tracks and unless you're blasting a 100W amp it works great. It would be easy enough to try it and return it if you don't like it.

NJDevil likes this.
  20. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'll definitely take a look and appreciate the recommendation!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.