Stereo Speakers for iPhone/iPod Connection?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by NJDevil, Oct 17, 2021.

1. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I really enjoyed my Bose docking station but it's dead.....My iPod isn't far behind so am looking to use my Bose 201 shelf stereo speakers for the iPhone/iPod.

1) I believe this can be done but how? I guess headphones to RCA.....this then goes to a stereo receiver.

2) Is there a speaker system as dynamic (quality and volume) as those Bose docking stations? This wireless bluetooth option by Marshall interested me: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/marshall-stanmore-ii-bluetooth-speaker-black/6304065.p?skuId=6304065
    It appears to have wired connections from device to speaker but never knew Marshall could deliver the quality of a Bose, JBL, Polk or Klipsch

3) Do any of the speaker stereo brands have a shelf speaker option with bluetooth capabilities.....I don't care about wireless capabilities as long as it has auxiliary option from device (iPad).

2. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    OK, My old Kenwood receiver has the inputs for the 3.5mm to (2) Male RCA Adapter cables. This should work.

Then if I just wanted a 1 speaker option, Klipsch and other brands offer options for the a 1-speaker option like a docking station. Any additional ideas are much appreciated.

GlenP likes this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I have a Polk Audio soundbar with a wireless subwoofer, sounds pretty good feeding Bluetooth from iphone

NJDevil likes this.
  4. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Thanks for the input as my previous idea of using my 30 y/o Kenwood receiver is not going to happen. I've tried everything and it doesn't work.

5. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    As a bonus, much better sound from the TV as well!

6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If it's got an earphone output, you can connect it to most any standard stereo gear or PA. As long as the amp has 1/4" phono inputs, or, 1/8" or 1/4" phone inputs, it's easy. With a PA, you might need a stereo DI.

7. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Which iPhone and iPad? 32-pin dock, Lightning port or USB-C?

The headphone out isn’t great. You can get a line-out through the dock/port.

If you want really great sound from your device, and you have a USB audio interface that will work with your iPhone sitting around [you’re a musician, you probably have a Focusrite or a PreSonus, right?], you can get much better sound from that, and it should line-out to your receiver.

You can find an amplifier with AirPlay or bluetooth that will power your 201s. Neither AirPlay nor bluetooth sound is exactly beautiful, either. I’m not sure if Airplay2 is any better. Some of these amps are just tiny AppleTV sized devices. The name-brand ones with AirPlay, like Yamaha, start at about $400.

If you can find an old Apple Airport Express/Extreme that had the audio output, you can line-out from that to your receiver. There’s a Belkin device, and others, that will also do that.

I have a 2nd generation AppleTV I use without a screen which I can use Airplay on. I have to use a cheap D/A converter with it. [I think the 1st gen AppleTV had a line-out.] You can’t really make much use of the newer AppleTVs without a screen. [Even the older AppleTV doesn’t work as well as it used to as the Remote app no longer shows a remote computer’s library, properly.] If you have a computer with an iTunes library, an AppleTV is pretty good, you can play all that content on the AppleTV. On the older AppleTV, if you setup a long playlist, you can view and control the playlist from your iPhone.

How about using a little TV with good speakers and an AppleTV?

Do you have studio monitors? I’m usng a single powered studio monitor, I rarely turn it on, though.

NJDevil likes this.
  8. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    7D25BBF6-3CEA-4A74-8EC2-0D110A4E3BDC.jpeg I have an old Pioneer stereo and it has left/right RCA inputs for either CD or VCR/Aux sources that I don’t use otherwise, and with the right adapter from lightning port to audio/headphone output from my phone I can connect a mini stereo 3mm to RCA cable to listen to music from the iPhone on the stereo. My PA/mixer also has the RCA inputs for one channel, so I can use that to play music from my phone during a break. Both my stereo and PA are older than before Bluetooth.

9. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    /y
    You can also get the iPhone Lightning dock, with which you can keep the iPhone charged, but wont work well with the iPad. There’s a Lightning to 3.5mm plug audio cable, which I think is line-out. There’s a couple of Belkin audio adaptors that will keep the iPhone charged. I usually use the USB3 Camera kit to charge and use accessories at the same time.

I remember some audio interfaces have a connector for the iPhone, like the Focusrite iTrack Solo. That one needs to be powered by USB.

NJDevil likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It’s been a while.
    Simplest was mini jack to RCA to plug my iPhone into the Hifi stereo, but output was always low.
    Back when I used Apple Airport(erm 15 years?) I streamed iTunes mp3 playlists like Spotify didn’t exist. Very convenient but very lo-fi.

First thing I’d do today is invest in a decent DAC to be able to run Hi-res sound.

NJDevil likes this.
  11. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    So many bluetooth speakers out today and sound really good. I pick up a Anker brand small stereo bluetooth speaker on Amazon that I use on my laptop I've been really happy with the sound for something so small, about 1"1/2 square and about 6" long. Surprisingly has a little weight to it, nice rubber type finish.

DougWheeler74 and NJDevil like this.
  12. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

We use the JBL Charge 4 for our iPads, etc

NJDevil likes this.
  13. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Just catching-up now and appreciate the input...Thank you! You're right....the headphone out is certainly far from great as I've tried it with a decent pair of Bose computer speakers. My wife used them hooked-up to Alexa (I can't stand that thing) for background music when cleaning around the house. The problem I have with them is half the dynamic of every song is lost and it's more than just the problem of the audio degrading as I raise the volume.

My Bose docking station just couldn't survive the wear and tear....yeah, it is old but I told my wife that it isn't the age but rather the mileage. I had it situated in a spot that was not even and the the docking part that comes out was bent a bit up and that finally compromised the connection.

I have severely fallen behind the times, so I know of(kind of) the Focusrite and PreSonus. However, I am so far back in the stone ages that I never would've thought of it without your mentioning them.

I don't the market place like I should, so the understanding my options is deficient for idea conjuring but you have opened a door for me and now I have my homework to do on this......Thank you!

14. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I just looked at the Klipsch R-51 PM powered bluetooth speaker that also can connect with the 3.5mm jack. I'll have a look right now at that Anker option and appreciate the input.

15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've had a Stanmore at the shop for a while & it's a pretty good if untraditional set up where the bass is mono & everything above the crossover is stereo. Works well w/ mini headphone or bluetooth connections for casual listening. It's held up well in a pretty dusty environment down there over the past 5 years, usually using the mini jack hooked up to my laptop.

My favorite battery powered Bluetooth speakers so far have been Sony to be honest & have seemed like a very good value proposition when compared to many others that really didn't sound as good to me.

Every Klipsch setup I've listened to has seemed kind of tubby & overhyped in the lows/low mids, but I never wound up taking anything of their's home w/ me & eventually stopped A/B ing them whenever I was auditioning potential new gear in stores a while back so YMMV.

Most any AVRs nowadays will include Bluetooth & RCA connectivity options if you want to up the speaker game from an all in one type solution, but might be overkill dependent on what your intended use case is. Honestly, most all of them have a USB port on them that support playback of lossless formats from a stick, that's certainly the route I'd go if you're amenable to managing your library on the stick & using the AVR remote (or mobile app) for controlling playback rather than your Apple mobile devices. I've been super satisfied w/ my Yamahas in that space, cheap to pricey. Actually just finished getting my new setup in the office/music/media room hooked up last night w/ an RX-A4A & a Definitive Technology ProCinema 6D 5.1 speaker set & so far am really liking it for that room, particularly for music.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    NJDevil likes this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I bought a cheap Pioneer receiver about 3 years back, for my outdoor in-ceiling speakers, Bluetooth sounds pretty good through it, then you could keep using whatever speaker you like.

NJDevil likes this.
  17. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Thanks for this. I really liked the audio quality from the Bose iPod docking station. Mine died, interfaces have changed and now I'm looking for a quality solution to use my iPod(I will be buying the new version soon) and iPhone as a solution parallel to what was used as stereo receiver --> CD player --> Bose 301 shelf speakers as decent quality.

My receivers, Kenwood and JVC, don't work and now looking for great audio quality from my mp3 player format. Whatever the solution may be will reside in the room in the house dedicated to my guitar play (known as the music room)....needs good quality at higher volumes but need the whole home theater setup like those that we dreamed of with every Crutchfield catalog circa 1994.

GlenP and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  18. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Also, I think for older stereos that only have wired inputs, they do have a Bluetooth receiver that can plug into it and that can allow your phone to connect wirelessly.

19. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

Bluetooth Speaker, W-KING 70W Super Punchy Bass Speaker Loud, Quick Charging, 15000mAh Power Bank, IPX6 Waterproof Outdoor, Bluetooth 5.0, Crystal Clear Audio, TF Card, Mic for Party, Home, Camping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XYY43ZF/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_7QP94GJC53YKMR8VQ01T

I bought this one a while back. It gets loud, has deep bass and doesn't distort when maxed out. I haven't played along with it yet, though. Let me go try that out and get back to you.

20. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    My mother has one of those, I’ve always admired it. On the back there is an 1/8" Audio In. Does yours have that?

If you have the 30-pin dock you may be able to find an old iPod Universal Dock. You can use a remote with that. Very useful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.