Starting over, again. Hi folks.

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Rmccamey, Aug 28, 2020.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, RM !
    welcome mat texas.JPG

Rmccamey likes this.
  2. Oywee72

Oywee72 Electromatic

Jul 23, 2020
    Oslo
    Hi & welcome. Thats an awesome looking Gretsch-model you got there.
    Btw: George Harrison used a 62/63 Tennessean Rose model alot in the studio and live between 1963-1965. Unfortunatly noone knows where it is located today. It was believed to be stolen stolen from a storage closet at EMI's Abbey Road studio, along with a couple of other guitars.
    Anyway, welcome & cheers! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Rmccamey and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum RM. You came with a very nice Gretsch, so you'll fit in quite well here.

Rmccamey likes this.
  4. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
  5. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Welcome to the forum RM! People are really friendly here, which is so refreshing. Nice guitar!

Rmccamey likes this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome and nice guitar.

Rmccamey likes this.
  7. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Welcome @Rmccamey we are glad to have you aboard. Beautiful guitar, and since you have played acoustic, the electric will be an easy transition. Many of the top guitarist started on acoustic, and still play them.
    I remember meeting Eric Clapton when I was about 12, he was in the radio station where we were playing. He stared at me, and I thought that it was because I was terrible, (and I was), but he couldn't wait to get his hands on my acoustic Kay guitar. He could really make that guitar sing, he said that was "the same model as me first guitar." I was amazed that he started on a simple guitar with incredibly high action.

After I felt bad because I was so awful, but I made a commitment to work and practice hard, and never be embarrassed to play acoustic again.

Rmccamey and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  8. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Well done for making the decision. I've been playing for 63 years but sadly it doesn't show. My present good fortune is that I'm teaching my 9yr old grandson to play. In addition to being an absolute joy it also avoids the problem of finding other 77 yr olds to form a band with!

9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Flip, you are spot on. That is how legacies are built, it is more about the memories of life events, time spent together, and your 9 year old Grandson will remember that forever. Thanks for sharing this.

Rmccamey and Cass like this.
  10. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    My advice is to learn to play the juice harp instead. They are to many guitar players on GT. This means not enough work for us real guitar players. But the juice harp, that is a real instrument.

MrWookiee and Rmccamey like this.
  11. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome RM. Lovely guitar you have there. Can't believe you haven't been playing it. Glad it's going to get some serious love.
    Rock on!

mrfixitmi and Rmccamey like this.
  12. 1960duo-jet

1960duo-jet Electromatic

May 10, 2010
    Ontario
    That axe looks just like my Chet Atkins Tennessee Rose, except mine has Filtertron pick ups.

13. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Maximum respect from Italy !
    And what a beautiful guitar , additionally !
    I envy your commitment to learn : i play since some two hundred years and i never find your
    determination !
    Indeed i play terribly !
    Do not give up , because someday playing is frustrating but sometimes is the road to peace !
    Let's Gretsch !

14. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    Welcome, RM! Glad to hear you have found inspiration to play. I, too, spent years with my acoustic, and launched into electric guitars recently. I acquired a Strat and a Tele, and don’t pick them up without thinking how wonderful they are. But am really struggling to put my Tennessean down! There is so much about it that sparks joy for me, the look included. Congratulations, play on!! 47A223A8-3D03-468F-8EDC-78D9F988F0EA.jpeg

15. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey RM,

Welcome.

I envision a photo with your Tennessean in the middle, a black duo Jet on the left, and a Country Gentleman on the right, with a nice black and white photo of an early George Harrison.

Oh by the way, don't commit, just do it, you'll enjoy the results much more.

Best,

BIB.

Xochi2, mrfixitmi and Rmccamey like this.
  16. Steveric

Steveric Electromatic

Jun 11, 2020
    Portsmouth uk
    hi, that's a good tennesseean i bet that's got a good rockàbilly twang ....

17. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll be picking your collective brains in he coming months!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Glad to have ya here, RM! Collectively we add up to a brain or two that you may feel free to pick.

19. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Welcome RM. I really love connecting with those, who like me, learned or are learning guitar at a more mature age. I started my journey last year at age 61 and have given lots of thought as to why I waited so long. The answer seems to be that while I love music (rock, mostly) I never looked at a guitarist and said to myself, "I've got to do that". Now I know I'm doing it for a feeling and expression. After about 15 months I tending towards the Delta Blues, Swamp Blues, and Americana as that is what's wants to come out. As someone who's spent almost all of his adult life in the Southern U.S. the region and its music has become very important. Good luck in your journey.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  20. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Welcome to GT! As a fellow beginner (you're way ahead of me) I can honestly say that you've come to the right place.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.