Stage costumes…

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida

That drummer did a pretty decent job while wearing that thing. Skip to about 2:40 to bass problems.

Feel free to post any of or your favorite stage costumes of all time.

2. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Merc you might want to edit the spelling on the title. I thought this was going to be a post about how you always bow to the drummer or wipe the microphone with a sanitising wipe before singing. But its costumes not customs

gtttrrr and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks. It the smart or dumb phone auto error feature. It gets me all the time. Strangely it didn’t correct it in my post.

4. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    For anyone who’s never worn a big full body costume, it’s difficult. I worked at a movie theater once and had to wear a full popcorn costume for a birthday party. I couldn’t see anything up close and almost knocked over the little kids while they were standing close. I felt like a blind bull in a China shop… lol.

5. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    My elder son once took a job where he had to dress as a banana and dance on a street corner while waving a sign for a local business. I think he kept that job for 2 days. It gets a little warm here in the high desert. :cool:

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I would have loved to see that :D

Merc likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    A golden hamster is the mascot of the company where I work.
    We have a golden hamster costume for publicity events. It is an invidious task to wear it because it is heavy on the shoulders and very hot.
    On one occasion my poor apprentice had to wear it on a super hot summerday to promote us at a local fair.
    He satisfied his thirst with beer. In the late afternoon he ended shambling around the place telling dirty jokes and slapping girls on their behind...

8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I do love the way Japanese people are able to childishly wear ridiculous outfit and make fun of themselves.

Their soapbox races are something:

And I dig Takeshi castle too:

(The same Takeshi Kitano being one of the best movie director in the world, with really delicate and even poetic movies).

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    GWAR`s costumes are pretty outrageous: upload_2021-9-5_14-16-13.jpeg

Viking Power, Merc and MotorCentaur like this.
  10. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I have a friend that wants me to go to this show wiht him when they come to town. Kind of torn on it. I mean, I am too old for this stuff, But on the other hand, I have to say I am entertained. I commend the guitar player for finishing the song while getting pelted repeatedly by an inflatable hamburger.

Viking Power, mrfixitmi and Merc like this.
  11. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    [QUOTE="loudnlousy, post: 1429191, member: 16635"He satisfied his thirst with beer. In the late afternoon he ended shambling around the place telling dirty jokes and slapping girls on their behind...[/QUOTE]

That's hilarious. Can't imagine anyone satisfying their thirst w/ beer,,, in Germany... :cool:

loudnlousy, mrfixitmi and Merc like this.
  12. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Parliament Funkadelic had some pretty wild outfits

Viking Power and Merc like this.
  13. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    So did David Bowie, but I don't know if we're limiting this to Hamburgler and chipmonk-type things or not. There's a difference.

The wife briefly worked at Chuck-e-Cheese's when she was a teenager. Had to wear that dumb rat costume one shift a week. She always describes it as "the worst thing ever!" - Kids punching it, pulling at it, kicking it ... Ha! - sounds pretty bad to me!

Never had to do it myself, thank goodness.

---

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Viking Power, mrfixitmi and Merc like this.
  14. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    These guys did the costume thing well (although not sure if this is what the thread is geared towards): upload_2021-9-5_14-52-29.jpeg

15. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Silly costumes are just meant to distract you from the low quality music. YMMV.

Rmccamey and capnhiho like this.
  16. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    Not always. YMMV

mrfixitmi, Merc and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  17. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Just depends on how theatrical the act wants to get. Think back to 70's you had guys like Rick Wakeman (Yes) in giant capes and Brian Eno (Roxy Music) in feather boas and leopard skins. The whole glam thing led to a lot of that. None of that was by accident.

Think about it, these are costumes too:

bluesbrothers.jpg

Nothing crazy about them, but they're fictional characters, actors playing musicians. Costuming has always been a part of show business and if you're playing music on a stage, hey - guess what - you're in show business!

18. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Mrs. Murphy: We got two honkies out there dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants.
    Matt Murphy: Say what?
    Mrs. Murphy: They look like they're from the CIA, or somethin'.

19. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Four fried chickens and a Coke."
    "Dry white toast."

I wouldn't think a basic black suit and tie was considered a 'costume'.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.