St. Vincent...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    15-minute sex-bomb train-wreck? That’s so far off it’s laughable! Really, I’m surprised at some of the comments in this thread.

She's a 14+year veteran in the business, two time Grammy winner and has more "album of the year" type awards than you can count.

That she isn't everybody's favorite is fine, I personally don't own a single record by her, but I've watched her career for years and even I'll admit she's the real deal.

Talented lady.

I liken her a bit to somebody like Tori Amos, Kate Bush, maybe even David Bowie - critical darlings that spend their whole careers putting out great music, but repeatedly mystify the public with their stylistic shifts. Saturday’s SNL show (which I think was her third appearance there) was one such shift.

Was it any good? Who's to say? Did it work? We're talking about it, aren't we?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    MacStevenXIII, Ando, Cazza64 and 5 others like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Women really don't need men to tell them how or what to eat. My advice to all men is to worry about your own belly.

Ando, Randy99CL, petecarlton and 4 others like this.
  3. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I would have said the same thing if she were a man but your point is well-taken.

petecarlton and Henry like this.
  4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I love the look of the guitar. I'm always impressed with her singing and musicianship, and the whole production of what she does. However, like a lot of modern stuff, there isn't anything super memorable there, at least that I've heard. No hooks, no memorable riffs, etc. That's not a St. Vincent thing per se, but a thing with guitar-based rock over the last decade or so.

Randy99CL likes this.
  5. petecarlton

petecarlton Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Nottingham, UK
    So disappointed with some of the comments on here - if you don't like her music, that's fine. But to body-shame her, predict her breakdown, complain she isn't doing hard rock and suggest she can't play (she can - a great deal better than you) seems to me rather pathetic. As someone pointed out, she's been in the business for nearly 15 years, making a good living and turning out interesting - sometimes puzzling - material which doesn't conform to the autotuned blueprint at the top of the pop charts. She's a one-off and a great deal the better for that.

mrcoffee23, Ando, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I really did not know a single thing about her a week ago, had not heard even a minute of her music. Through this thread and the videos I like her a lot, she is an impressive guitarist and singer/songwriter but (like almost all modern music) not anything I would get attached to. As shadowy wrote, no hook, nothing you can hum along with. Or lyric I can relate to.

What a fantastic sentiment! So appropriate in this period of acknowledgement of woman's rights!

Henry and Shadowy_Man like this.
  7. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    At last an honest analysis that doesn't pander to the industry hype and conventional knee-jerk reaction to an odd-shapped guitar that was designed for one rea$on . . . . I'm tired of "signature" guitars and issues and re-issues and retro and reliced -- all devices to put $$$$ into the pockets of the manufacturers and the artists who get paid royalties for putting their name on a guitar. Let's face it, guitars are not all that complex. There's a body, a neck, a nut, pots, pickups, a bridge, tuners and strings. Why do we need some would-be "rock star" to tell US the family secrets of the perfect guitar? Because . . . . What IS the perfect guitar? . . . . What YOU want, or what Mr/Ms Rock Star wants?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  8. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Yes, Jeff Beck is over-rated. He's a good guitar player, but so am I. Beck is not a guitar god like Clapton, Page or Hendrix. I don't understand why Beck has been transformed into some sort of cult icon.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  9. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    What is
    What is "fun" about it?

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I can tell she loves bowie, and defo a great guitarist.. but she is no Tori Amos!! And I'm kinda pissed that Torie has been filed away in the dollar bin.

Highroller likes this.
  11. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I love that guitar. And want one used.

mjm0 likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    He is “cult” cause he was never embraced by the masses while his guitarplaying is on par with all of the greats. Maybe not better, but certainly equal.
    That being said, there are hundreds of players who can do a pretty decent Clapton, Page, some even do a decent Hendrix or Vai. I’ve never heard another player who can quite mimic Jeff Beck’s unique tone and phrasing though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  13. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I think she is good and has a own aproach of music I like too

Because, as with Neil Young, his unique tone is just WRONG and BAD. He can do it because he wants to keep it as "his" but nobody wants to sound like Beck or Young

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    As with Neil Young there is no wrong or bad. It’s about expression of emotion. And they do it in their own unique way. The method either appeals to you or not, but IMO their artistic integrity is beyond criticism.
    I know plenty of players who can only dream of sounding like them.

Does van Gogh suck as an artist because his brush strokes are unconventional or was he just being selfish? :D

MrWookiee likes this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ha, sorry. Bad example? Hard to believe Little Earthquakes is a 29 year old album now! Tori's done a lot of different things since then, but if it makes you feel any better, I've never seen a Tori Amos album in the dollar bin!

Of course, there aren't a lot of record stores left, so there's a lot fewer dollar bins ... :confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.