St. Vincent...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Apr 3, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I am not a fan of the Lady GaGa style theatrics though, when the music by itself is solid.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  2. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    This is the first I've heard of her. Not my cuppa. Also some one should give her a cheeseburger or three so she doesn't end up like Karen Carpenter (RIP).

3. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    She's kind of all over the place stylistically. Makes her hard to pin down, but always interesting, even when it's not something I'd buy.

Here she is from 2009 with a stripped down take on an old Beatles tune. Reminds me a little of PJ Harvey, something you'd never think of watching last night's SNL performance.

SAguitar, ooglybong, Henry and 2 others like this.
  4. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Definitely got guitar chops.

5. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    As with Jeff Beck, either she is overrated or I'm just not cool enough to hear what she's saying. Given their success it can only be the latter.

Dave Murray and Randy99CL like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You think Jeff Beck is overrated? o_O

ooglybong, reverb11 and Randy99CL like this.
  7. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    While that deconstructive SNL performance is not really a great introduction to St. Vincent, it is a part of the ensemble of her work that exemplifies her role.

She is the only artist, that, although I really like her, I don't listen to much because her talent is so depressingly overwhelming that I feel like just giving up when I do.

MacStevenXIII and Randy99CL like this.
  8. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    LOL no, I saw him at a live gig a couple of years ago. He was amazing but I didn't "get" at least a third of what he played. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Jeff isn't everybody's thing. No big deal. I happened to catch him on a good night a few years ago during the Emotion & Commotion Tour, and it was one of the best concerts of my life. He was getting standing ovations from crowd ... by the close of the second number!

MrWookiee likes this.
  10. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm not a fan either. Something about his playing falls into the uncanny valley for me. It's like listening to a computer program mimic a (really, really good) guitar player.

Archtops likes this.
  12. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Electromatic

Mar 19, 2016
    Ft Collins,Colorado
    upload_2021-4-4_15-8-41.jpeg upload_2021-4-4_15-8-41.jpeg I have one of these guitars.It's cool.Wish the back of the neck was black,and wish the headstock was the same as the body.Other than that,it's fun.

Henry likes this.
  13. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    This is how I feel about Joe Satriani but Steve Vai is a different story.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Henry likes this.
  14. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I've been a fan for quite a while. Her music can be challenging in the sense that it incorporates elements of popular music along with grander influences, which means I can follow the path into it in ways, but the whole current female pop stuff is lost on me, so it sounds very foreign. I don't have the cultural fluency to 'get it' at times.

She is a former Berklee student, and I'd say if David Byrne did an album with her, there must be something there other than looks and artiness.

I did buy a Sterling version of her guitar twice, and didn't keep either one. It had the strident Fender plang to the strings like they are overtight or something. Neck was a little more of a thicker D shape that I like. But I did like the three pickups and the tonality of it. And the look.

She put out her album 'Masseduction' which was in her current musical style, and followed it up with 'Masseducation,' which is a stripped down acoustic version of much of the same material recorded at the same time. On that you can really hear what they sound like without all the added electronic embellishment.

Here's an example of the song New York done on acoustic:

Here is the more elaborate version and video of the same song:

15. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MW,

I was reluctant to post anything negative, as she is earning a living in a very cut-throat business, but like Elvis and Madonna, she uses her canoe paddle, sorry, guitar as a prop.

The industry will give her the standard allocation of 15 minutes.

It's sex/F-Bombs over music, and the music is missing.

It's really too bad, but I think she's another train wreck in the making.

The late night talk show hosts will do the same thing with her as they did with Amy Winehouse, they'll praise her for being brave and unique, and when she starts to crumble, they'll crawl over one another to slag her.

No Mr. Wookie, not my cuppa either.

Just me...too old I guess.

BIB.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  16. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Leaving aside most of what you wrote as your opinion and acknowledging I'm not a huge SV fan, I will defend her guitar playing as much more than a prop. She's quite skilled, as several of the clips above show. She does herself a disservice as a guitar player by the other parts she brings to stage and recordings.

Back in Black likes this.
  17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Saw bits and pieces of her performance on SNL. Nope. Don't like her sound her look or the fact that she makes tons of money playing music and I don't.

dougmon and mrcoffee23 like this.
  18. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    this performance is just brilliant

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  19. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    The above video does a fair job of showing some off her guitar skill, especially when paired with what she is singing. I venture to say a lot of people would have some trouble doing both of those at the same time. Do yourself a favor and stick through the whole thing.

And here's her and her unique playing approach in a montage:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.