SRV playing Hendrix’s

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Yeah…There is nothing cooler! Thanks for sharing 😎
I wasn’t a Hendrix’s fan until Ingot older. Always liked SRV. I was the same with the Doors, couldn’t stand them until I got into my late ‘20s and the Beatles I only liked a few songs and although they aren’t a favorite of mine I can appreciate some of their songs. The point for me is tastes change and when some one you like plays someone you are just getting to appreciate it helps to understand better. I hope that makes sense.
I would like to see other examples like this someone great playing someone else stuff and really help you appreciate it. Thanks guys!

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
I can’t think of a specific example of that. Stevie was able to practically channel Jimi…it was in his soul for sure.

What comes to mind for me is that other than Jimi Hendrix, the blues did not really make sense to me as a kid. I just didn’t get the feelings from recordings.

When I saw Michael Landau live it really affected me. He played a lot of Jimi style licks with a vibrato that just killed me. His sense of pocket was uncanny…so patient and knows just when to tear your head off.

It wasn’t until that experience that my eyes were suddenly opened and I could “feel” blues players. Previously I literally had no idea why folks would say that.

That even opened my heart to SRV. Now I can hardly believe there was a time when I just thought Stevie was a great player. It wasn’t until Landau that I could feel the emotions.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I can’t think of a specific example of that. Stevie was able to practically channel Jimi…it was in his soul for sure.

What comes to mind for me is that other than Jimi Hendrix, the blues did not really make sense to me as a kid. I just didn’t get the feelings from recordings.

When I saw Michael Landau live it really affected me. He played a lot of Jimi style licks with a vibrato that just killed me. His sense of pocket was uncanny…so patient and knows just when to tear your head off.

It wasn’t until that experience that my eyes were suddenly opened and I could “feel” blues players. Previously I literally had no idea why folks would say that.

That even opened my heart to SRV. Now I can hardly believe there was a time when I just thought Stevie was a great player. It wasn’t until Landau that I could feel the emotions.
You know something funny? I didn’t know SRV’s or Jimmie Vaughan‘s name. And was shocked when someone told me they were brothers. I think Jimmie is one incredible rhythm guitarist. I’m too sleepy to find an example now though sorry.
I do understand what you mean. I never cared for Jazz but absolutely loved Dixie Land. I think Dixie Land in a round about way helped me learn to appreciate some of the Jazz Greats. Someone told me Dixie Land was an off shoot of Jazz. I couldn’t say if that’s true or not to me they are night and day different. But I may be comparing to the wrong Jazz. The goofy coffee house hippie Jazz absolutely drove me mad, couldn’t stand it, it was like nails on a chalk board when they hit some of the notes that seemed so dissonant to me. Thanks God Hendrix and SRV didn’t go that route! Sorry I got off topic. Again I blame the meds my mind is all over the place after the op this morning.

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
You know something funny? I didn’t know SRV’s or Jimmie Vaughan‘s name. And was shocked when someone told me they were brothers. I think Jimmie is one incredible rhythm guitarist. I’m too sleepy to find an example now though sorry.
I do understand what you mean. I never cared for Jazz but absolutely loved Dixie Land. I think Dixie Land in a round about way helped me learn to appreciate some of the Jazz Greats. Someone told me Dixie Land was an off shoot of Jazz. I couldn’t say if that’s true or not to me they are night and day different. But I may be comparing to the wrong Jazz. The goofy coffee house hippie Jazz absolutely drove me mad, couldn’t stand it, it was like nails on a chalk board when they hit some of the notes that seemed so dissonant to me. Thanks God Hendrix and SRV didn’t go that route! Sorry I got off topic. Again I blame the meds my mind is all over the place after the op this morning.
I'll be glad to help out with a killer example of Jimmie 😎 He's one of my favorites ever. Love SRV too.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I'll be glad to help out with a killer example of Jimmie 😎 He's one of my favorites ever. Love SRV too.

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Thanks!

PS his guitar is way better looking than SRV’s.
SRV, by the way, is the reason I started to move up in strong size. I think he played 13s. I’m up to some version of TI12’s on every guitar I have. I want to say my 60th anni MIM Strat had its pups fashioned after Jimmie. They are, I believe, slightly overwound Tex Mex tele pups. I could be getting that mixed up but I’m fairly certain I read that somewhere and we all know the internet is infallible! Did spell that right?

Last edited:

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
Now that’s what I’m talking about. Thanks!

PS his guitar is way better looking than SRV’s.
SRV, by the way, is the reason I started to move up in strong size. I think he played 13s. I’m up to some version of TI12’s on every guitar I have. I want to say my 60th anni MIM Strat had its pups fashioned after Jimmie. They are, I believe, slightly overwound Tex Mex tele pups. I could be getting that mixed up but I’m fairly certain I read that somewhere and we all know the internet is infallible! Did spell that right?
Cool. Yep the Tex Mex pickups were designed for Jimmies signature Strat. I went the other way on most of my Guitars, I'm liking 9.5s on my Fenders nowadays, 10s on the Gibson's and Gretsch Jet, 11s on the hollows.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Cool. Yep the Tex Mex pickups were designed for Jimmies signature Strat. I went the other way on most of my Guitars, I'm liking 9.5s on my Fenders nowadays, 10s on the Gibson's and Gretsch Jet, 11s on the hollows.
My Little Martin has 13’s not too bad but they are stout. I think the 000 wears 12’s. I had 9.5 on one of the Strats when I got it. Not sure why but I could easily play out of tune with a well tuned guitar wearing them. So I jumped to 10’s and when they died up to 11’s, then several types of 11’s now 12’s on everything electric and same or highway on acoustic. Thanks SRV. I may try 13’s some day but I’m pretty happy with what I have now. And those Tex Mex are great sounding pickup!