Squier CV 60's

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by S.R.Cash, Oct 22, 2021.

1. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Thinking of getting a new model CV 60's, sunburst and double binding. (Calm down, I'm keeping the Gretsch) :) Any real world experience with these by anyone? My thinking? Easier and lower maintenance when lugging it around in very unpredictable Canadian weather, and I've been doing a lot more Acoustic Duo style 80's and such, I think the CV will better suit both of those needs. My usual Rockabilly Western thing, well that's for the Gretsch! I'm thinking the Tele will be better matched in tone for the squeeky clean, compressed, delayed, chorused 80's vibe.

Thoughts?

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    IMG_20210323_154626_376.jpg

I have one. It's good. The frets needed work, but otherwise it plays really nice and looks great for the money.

I really enjoy playing mine, I play lots of 80s stuff on it. But it is HEAVY. The heaviest guitar I own by some margin. Sitting down, no problem. A long set standing up... i couldnt do it. But I am nearly 50 :D;)

new6659, thunder58, S.R.Cash and 2 others like this.
  3. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah ... playing a couple today felt very odd coming from only holding a Gretsch for a few years!

4. Alaska Mike

Alaska Mike Electromatic

Apr 12, 2021
    Alaska
    I was really, really tempted to get one in Sunburst, but it would ultimately be a less expensive clone of my '85 MIJ '62 Custom. So, not adding anything really to the collection.

I have played a few that were kinda meh (mostly in big-box stores), but then I played one at a local music store that had been set up properly with a little fret work and was really impressed. I've come across a few at small shops that were equally impressive, which shows they were taking the time. Maybe Sweetwater does better than most big box shops. At the beginning of the year I was doing the math and seeing how much it would be to get one from Sweetwater, having them PLEK it, and then getting a good case. Then I went down the rabbit hole of "but this one is only $X more..." and eventually ended up with an American Ultra. It escalated quickly.

But yeah, without my MIJ Custom, I would have jumped all over it. I love bound Telecasters, or pretty much any bound guitar.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I had different models in my hands and was totally surprised how much they differ in weight. So you should better try them befor buying.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  6. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

I got a good deal on a used 2010, this last spring. It's a little under 8 pounds. It did need some fret leveling. Some of these older ones have beautiful quarter-sawn necks and/or flame stripes.
    20210330_162353.jpg

new6659, S.R.Cash and Mr Swisher like this.
  7. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

A couple of other things to consider are:

The older Chinese made ones have alder bodies and rosewood fretboards. The newer Indonesian made ones have nato bodies and laurel fretboards.

The modern c shaped neck is on the thin side, a big plus for me.

The pickups sound best through a low wattage amp. They sound good through more powerful amps, but when switching from filtertrons, if you don't re-eq, then these pickups can sound weaker.

This could win the country spot away from your Gretsch, consider yourself warned.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  8. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    All the more reason to go amp shopping? I think each of my guitars should have their own amps!

Snorre and J Bird like this.
  9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on that fine looking CV Tele. I may need one of those myself. Enjoy!

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The poly on the neck of the early ones is more sticky than a big stick on national stick day. Coupled with the low wide frets it makes string bends like pushing through toffee. I don't know if the latest generation is the same though.

11. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Found nine examples around the area and stumbled upon this one. New, Indonesian, and absolutely terrific through my Deluxe! Now just have to get used to the weight.

'Debbie', a sister for Sarah...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

Fantastic! Congratulations on your new cvc tele. Sounds like it suits you, already.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  13. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

There is really something about a Tele with binding!

S.R.Cash likes this.
  14. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Electromatic

Dec 20, 2020
    Kansas
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  15. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    A little more 'me' now...

Art Deco pickguard, 'sawed off' bridge plate, strap locks, and I flipped the control panel and removed the tone pot from the signal. Oh and of course, a very slow and careful setup in which I found I actually really dig the neck pickup despite bracing myself for the worst.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.