Speaker Breakin... Do You

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Zeek, Nov 1, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    No Breakin' i just plays'em. Screenshot_2019-11-02-05-30-59-1.png

wabash slim likes this.
  2. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    My personal speaker break in routine is to plug a guitar into the amplifier and play ..... a lot. Everybody does what works best for them and I think it all pretty much works.

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I agree with the comment that if you don't like the speaker at all, breaking it in won't help. I also agree that is you like it it will get better with a break in.

I break them in most of the time. I start with a spray bottle with 50/50 Febreeze and water. I mist (not soak) the cone inside and outside. Let dry for a few hours.

Tablet full of all types of music on loop plugged into a 50W Quilter solid state and 6' cable with alligator clips connected to the speaker. Large heavy blanket over the speaker cab (but not the Quilter) and run at a low medium volume for a few hours. Raise the volume to about stage level and let it run as long as you can. I usually go 24 hour + and now you know what the blanket is for.

Works for me.

Outlaw, Robbie and Zeek like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I also agree with the if you don’t like it before don’t count on the break in helping it any. I am not a huge fan of the 1230-55 but it is that style of speaker not the make or brand. I found it harsh and maybe the word would be mod heavy it has been years since I have used them and we know how memory and sound works. But what I do remember is after hours of playing it did improve, still has the style of speakers tone but smoothed out some of what I didn’t like about it. Also the amp it was used with was very clean on the clean channel so it made it sound a bit harsher with a differ voicing the speakers actually sounded great which is why they are going into a new 2x12. As always I think I get a lot more mileage out of having different speakers and cabs than I do out of having different amps.

Zeek likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Usually other people are doing this for me. E.g. by spilling a can of beer over it....

And here is my dog:
    IMG_2247.JPG

G5422T, audept, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  6. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Speaker break in?

MLBSOCD = Myth Legend and BS Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Zeek and new6659 like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Just play it till it sounds good.

With my guitar skills, that could be a lifetime.

Zeek and Outlaw like this.
  8. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Hitting the paper with a couple spray downs of fabreeze and wiping the doping with acetone I’ve read does some magic???
    I’ve got old marshal cab V30’s and new ChiCom V30’s. there is a difference in break up, sensitivity and warmth... the older British “broken in” units seem to have the goods..
    same fender 2x12 cabs, same head.
    But both are great

Zeek likes this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    So is the theory, the speaker is as good as it will ever be the day you get it? No improvement, your first day is your best day, like anything the more you use it the more worn out it gets?

I just bought a set of Greenbacks and they sounded great to me out of the box so no break in necessary.

Im not a big believer in Myths or Legends .... But I am a huge believer in BS and OCD and have plenty of it ...... and about 18hr on the Greenbacks, Lol.

With that said, between the ringing in my ears, the ticking sounds and the rest of the noise only I hear it would be hard to believe I could really hear a difference anyway .... Hummm OCD it is.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Like a fine wine, they improve with age.

Zeek likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    “Speaker break-in”

[​IMG]

I believe it, but I’m to lazy to actively break’m in artificially with Febreze/MP3 player/old 9V block.

Zeek likes this.
  12. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.