Join Gretsch-Talk Today

(Sort of) NGD!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by stiv, Mar 20, 2017.

1. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    ... in the sense that I received this baby some week ago.
    I produced a friend's record and he payed me back by giving me this The Loar to me. I was reclutant at first (I'm not a producer, and he was my friends so I wouldn't mind to do it for free) but he insisted so much that I brought her home (also, I needed another guitar for Vestapol tuning on stage...:)).
    I owned a '62 330 in the past (and I still own a '64 SG) so I know vintage Gibsons well, and this little archtop it seems very well built to me. Althoug they are korean made, they have a nice binding, confortable neck and stay in tune (even with .12 strings and very high action, as I mostly play slide).
    The glossy paint it's not my favourite thing in the world, and the wooden bridge (more than that, the wooden base that seems to be plastic...) it's not the best but... It sounds right on the guitar.
    Plus, it seems to be part of a limited batch (my friend bought it in Ireland while on vacation there) with an old-fashioned P90 (it has round poles like a Dynasonics, and no metal base like a regular P90...) that sounds a lot like a Charlie Christian pickup (or a Jazzmaster pickup). Very clean, very single-coil sounding, which I really like... I never owned a 125T-type guitar before, but this seems right for me and for the music I play at the moment. One day I'd love to check how a lipstick sounds on it like one of that old 120s...

Now, I have some extra money on my paypal account so... Do you guys see a Bigsby on it? I mean, with a new roller bridge and a new pinned base? Or will I loose most of her tonal qualities? I'm really undecided. Even on what Bigsby (just in case) to buy for her... B6 or B7? I'd really love to see a fixed arm Bigsby on it... ;)
    What do you think? (sorry for the crap pic. My cell phone couldn't do any better...).

theloar.jpg

Attached Files:

Floo, nickurso, Trash Kidd and 3 others like this.
  2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I always love an NGD post..... sort of or otherwise!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

englishman, blc45 and Ricochet like this.
  3. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    To me, a Bigsby on a guitar that's mainly for slide is useless. It even might kill some tone because it will dampen the top a bit. These babies are fine the way they are - they could be better, at least my LH-300 could be, but it's ok.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That's a cool lookin geet congrats,but i'd leave it as is.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that is very nice. Bigsby, roller bridge? What are you talking about?
    Start with a new wooden bridge base and take it from there. ;)

Floo and Armygirl like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    It really looks cool and "old". But I would really refuse to invest any money to upgrade a cheap guitar.
    I would take it as it is. Sometimes even cheapness is very enjoyable.

8. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Well, congratulations! sorta!

rockinforJesus and Armygirl like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The trapeze and wood bridge are part of the coolness imo. Congrats i really like those.

Floo likes this.
  10. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I'd leave this one alone. Change the bridge-base if you must do anything.

Armygirl likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    You have a good friend . I would just leave it the way it is

Armygirl likes this.
  12. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I guess I could save my money for some other GAS...:)
    It's just that... when I play this guitar (that sounds surprisingly good, especially for that kind of Black-Keys-type of blues) I miss my Bigsby sooo much...;) but I don't want to mess up with her tone. Like they say, if isn't broken...

Thanks fellas for the kind responses.

MTurner and Armygirl like this.