SonoBus, any one tried it?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by GlenP, Aug 28, 2021.

1. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I had someone from just across town attempt to host an online jam via SonoBus and the latency from him to me and back to him was just terrible. Has anyone tried or had any success with that application on their computer?

I tried both using a USB interface and just direct built-in mic and that did not really make any difference. I tried wired Ethernet and WiFi and that did not make any difference either. Maybe my 2010 computer itself is just too old? I could maybe try it on another newer computer, but the old one is just more handy where I can connect my mixer, etc.

https://sonobus.net/

2. Cdb1961

Cdb1961 Gretschie

May 5, 2018
    Orange Park, Fl
    I have been using Sonobus and JamKazam with great success. I have been playing with my 2 brothers in Salt Lake and southern Oregon, I am in NE Florida. We are all using windows computers, behringer UMC404HD, wired internet and use a small mixing board to simplify our inputs into the interface. Using the right ASIO drivers for the interface give you the low latency for jamming, the ASIO for All driver also did not work for us.

What equipment are you running?

GlenP likes this.
  3. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I tried it on my 2010 iMac wired Ethernet and used a Peavey PV6BT mixer with a USB interface. It can send/receive left/right inputs via USB, but I was only sending one mono channel through SonoBus and had my headphones in the mixer to hear myself and the SonoBus stream from the USB interface back to the mixer. I do have a newer 2019 iMac that might be faster that I could try. I did not load any special drivers, I just selected the USB mixer as my input and output for audio.

4. Cdb1961

Cdb1961 Gretschie

May 5, 2018
    Orange Park, Fl
    mac's do you use different drivers, there are help forums that can get you going too.... reach out to them

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Have you checked your internet speed? Do you know if these apps are require a lot of bandwidth?

6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    My download speed is 50 Mbps but my upload speed is only 5 Mbps. It seems like my ping speed was like 15ms, and the latency from the other computer was like 30 ms, but mine was more like 60-70 ms depending on the options I tried in the sampling rate and buffer size. So my upload was the limiting speed I think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.