Sonic difference between the 6120 and Falcon?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jim dandy, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jim dandy

jim dandy Gretschie

Feb 25, 2014
    USA
    Sorry for another newbie question. I don't have much play experience with the Falcons and was wondering how they sound compared to the 6120s? I am close to pulling the trigger on a Gretsch and have it narrowed down to these 2 models.

2. jim dandy

jim dandy Gretschie

Feb 25, 2014
    USA
    I asked a couple of Gretsch dealers yesterday and was told that there is basically no difference in tone between the two models. One said the Falcon may be slightly deeper in tone (not sure what that means) while the 6120 may be slightly more jangly in tone. They all pretty much said it was really a cosmetic choice.

Anyone on the forums have any thoughts?

3. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    I had these two guitars for several years. (Kept the Falcon and traded the Nashville...eventually.) I think the 6120 has more of the patented "twang" sound, although the Falcon certainly has that as well. For my playing, the differences weren't as noticeable, which is what led me to trading the 6120. The Falcon is just...well...one of the sweetest, deepest and most beautiful guitars ever made. So there's that.

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    As a very general guideline, the 17" guitar will have a bit more depth, sonically speaking. I had a 6120 and a Country Club at the same time. Same pickups, same general appearance and they sounded like they were related to one another. The Club was definitely the elder sibling of the two.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Double check the scale length of the neck. 25.5 vs 24.75 will make a difference in sound and playability.

6. Gretsch-Stang

Gretsch-Stang Electromatic

Apr 2, 2012
    Chicago
    I've only had my falcon for a short time now but I can tell its a SLIGHTLY different sound than my 6120. It doesn't quite "breath" as much so you lose a little bit of that acoustic element that lends itself to that bright twang. I'd say it's slightly darker in tone.... Like more bass or mids to it. It's all fairly insignificant though. I'm still (trying) to play the same kind of music on it and it's all in the ballpark.

7. I bet, that in a room. with both sitting on stands, and no one touches them, they sound exactly the same. I know that sounds like witch craft, but I think its true. They also look the same in a dark room, one without any light.

8. Geosh

Geosh Synchromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I think with the trestle braced models there is a lot less of a difference.

However, I have owned 2 tone-post Falcons, a trestle braced 6120, and a "waffle braced" 6119, and all 3 varieties were significantly different sonically (same pickups in all but one of the Falcons). I think there is probably a more noticible difference with the larger body when there isn't the large trestles holding everything tightly together, as my Falcons sound quite a bit "bigger" on the bottom end than either my 6120 or 6119. That could be attributed to the bracing though too, or scale length...

I would play both and buy the one that you like best. I have bounced around and swapped quite a few Gretschs looking for the right one, and I eventually landed on my Black Falcon. All of them were really nice, and there were a few I wish I still had, but I think the Falcon is a keeper.... says the man with the acute gear aquisition syndrome...

9. jim dandy

jim dandy Gretschie

Feb 25, 2014
    USA
    Thanks for the input! Very helpful.

10. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    i'm going to say the body size is probably going to be a deeper, 'bigger', bassier, boomier sound.

the falcon's a 17" body vs the 16" body of the 6120.

i have a Country Club, which is 17", and my brother has a 5125. now we both put t-armonds in ours, but i'd imagine the same principle applies no matter what the specific pickups are. mine was a lot more bassier, bigger, more prone to feedback. i kind of felt like i needed to be in a bigger space with the amp up a little louder.. his though, was really pleasant and balanced. cleaner. less 'feedback-y'. in all honesty i might have liked his better. it just seemed more manageable. but that's only an opinion. you may like it the other way around. i do love my Country Club though. i play it the most out of 8 guitars i own.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Play a 000 flattop and play a dreadnought. The dread is a bit more boomy sounding in the lower register, the 000 is sweeter and more delicate. The same will hold true for arch tops.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I have a 6120SSU and a 6136SBLP, they are not the same instrument and that dealer guy is probably a drummer. Scale is not the same, body size is not the same.
    a 6120SSU nashville is 24.6 scale, not even gibson tension. The Falcon is a strat scale 25.5. Body size on a falcon is 17" on lower bout also.

The SSU has a bark and growl that is missing from the Phoenix, but the Phoenix has more low end and more tele like jangle in the highs, too much for my taste actually and the low mids complexity is missing. I like the SSU sound better but man it doesnt look anywhere near as cool. :) It may be the trestle bracing to, but the Phoenix lays out a better crunch with overdrive and solos sing on it. the SSU is more bluesy, not so modern rock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.