Sometimes you meet the nicest people on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Apr 14, 2021.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Crazy. Showed two guitars today to two different guys, social distancing in my driveway.

The first guy lived in the town I worked for, for almost 20 years, and his main guitar is a 6120. We talked for about 45 min about music

The second showed up, nice guy my age, played beautifully. Turns out he also is an active cyclist and ex racer, Roads and Crits just like me. We competed in many of the same races around the State about the same time. We probably rode against each other. He had his hand made Titanium road bike on the back of his car. We talked for the longest time.

Oh ya, both paid cash....the full asking price.....no dickering....:cool:

Sometimes life surprises you..:eek:

Archtops, ishtar, G5422T and 11 others like this.
  2. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    What did you sell?
    Do you miss them yet?

3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Stop it ....:D

Eastman Thinline and the Gibson LP. The returning 6228 is taking the LP’s place.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice that it all worked out

radd likes this.
  5. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    In all my years of lurking or posting of musicians forums... I think this is the first time I've ever seen a positive thread about a CL encounter.

I really thought the thread title was sarcasm. Kind of disappointed actually. :)

capnhiho, Chet Harrison and radd like this.
  6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    My only CL buy went well for both of us.
    Last summer I watched the Fender for about a month before I called, it was not a "must have".
    She was asking $700, less than the half-dozen on Reverb and I asked if she had raised the price so she could come down a little and she went right to $650.

We met in a parking lot, the guitar is flawless and she is a really interesting Black woman in her 40s who plays blues and rock. Really fun talking with her for a half hour, hope to hear her play when gigs open up.
    I had planned to offer $660, for some reason that number sounded right to me so that's what I gave her.

Over time I learned how special and rare the guitar is and that I got a truly great deal. And thankfully we've bonded and it's one of my favorites.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Archtops and radd like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    You are going to fit right in here :D

Penguin Picker likes this.
  8. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    Out of my 11 guitars 9 came from Craigslist. All great deals and good people selling them. I like being able to see and play before I buy.

MotorCentaur and radd like this.
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I’m live’n right today. Another very nice guy just came by and bought the two Telecaster necks I had just posted. Again, we talked guitars and had a lot in common regarding guitars we owned or had owned.

10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I've had great transactions on Cl actually. The selling takes a bit of time but some turn out great.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wait, What...... Not the special???

12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sometimes, folks aren't that lucky. At least, do the transactions at the fire station or other safe place with a lot of people about. Better safe than sorry. Glad your transaction turned out well.

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Yup, I enjoyed and liked it. But, not as much as that 6228 and I really am trying to keep my modest guitar collection, well....modest:D

Stefan87 likes this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I’ve been selling on Craigslist for decades, no problem. Not saying it can’t happen

The greater risk is for the buyer carrying cash and being set up by the seller.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    People have been killed on CL transactions in Indy. Be prepared; be safe.

16. Landshark2020

Landshark2020 Gretschie

Sep 4, 2020
    I thought he was asking if you missed the buyers yet!!!

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    :D

18. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    I always figured with email swap and phone/text swap anonymity is out the window and hopefully so is shadiness. With guitars you tend to go over things about it before going to see it.

radd likes this.
  19. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Understandable and you don't know until you try these things, just glad you were able to jag another 6228.

radd likes this.
  20. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I’m gonna get on CL right now and see if I can find a great deal from radd.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.