Sometimes we need to be reminded..

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Teledriver, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    At my local brick and mortar, buying some strings for my acoustic guitar. With winter at the door-step, the deck playing (electric) is on hold so it's acoustic guitar time. Whilst at the counter buying the strings, the shop owner comes into the store and plugs an electric (no idea) into an amp (no idea either) and starts to play Dig A Pony.
    I look at the sales person and say "Why am I buying acoustic strings? All I wanna do is go home and plug in!!". Laughs all around.
    Dig A Pony is one of those songs I always wanted to learn, and the recent documentary we've all been hearing about isn't helping.
    Beatles aside, do you sometimes set out to go from one point to another, but end up inspired to go somewhere else (because of some last-minute, unexpected interruption)? For example: learn the mandolin but end up with the Theremin??? lol

Archtops, MrWookiee, ruger9 and 7 others like this.
  2. Yes, I am easily distracted . Shines things usually. The duo i am in has been playing it for a few years now. Occasionally when we play out with the wife we will do it when she is on break. The Get Back special allows us to see what they are actually doing on some of these songs. Thats helpful. Wait, i am distracted again……

Teledriver likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

TD, I totally understand what happened to you, and yes, I get distracted in a lot of ways, too. Sometimes, I go into the music store for strings, and walk out with a guitar, while I'm there. And then there was the desire to play the guitar, which led me to the drums when I was thinking about rhythms, and then to buy a used keyboard workstation, because it helped me understand music theory a little easier.

Oh, and buying my first Gretsch on a whim, because I was listening to more Beatles songs, and just wanted to play closer to what I heard in the songs.

If I do buy any more guitars, it will likely be because I was thinking about something else, and all of a
    sudden . . .

ZackyDog and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    'Went in to buy strings and walked out with a guitar'...that's one way to get new strings (sorta new anyway). "I did get new strings honey, they're on this guitar." lol!
    oh, I have been sooo tempted...one of the reasons I don't play guitars in stores.....impulse buy, impulse buy, impulse buy.
    Going to the Brick and Mortar yesterday was good inspiration, even though it was a distraction from the acoustic direction I'm going towards. I have now prepared a 'set list' of ELECTRIC songs I want to re-visit or just plain learn (such as the aforementioned 'Dig A Pony') starting this weekend. I did this same thing when I picked back up the acoustic a week or two ago by properly learning That's The Way by Led Zeppelin, a song I've been playing as a rough-draft for near 30 years.
    I need to keep going to this Brick and Mortar. They have a 1959 es-225 currently RIGHT THERE in it's original case as you walk in the front door. NOT going to even play it...the price is around 2500...nope...just buy the dang acoustic strings you came in for.....stay focused.....and don't even look at that 1956 Epiphone ES-125 they also have...focus, focus..!
    p.s. the above guitars are no exaggeration. They are there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    bhatta likes this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    That's funny, because I've had I've Got A Feeling in my head all day long, thanks to that movie. I've already got about 15 Beatles tunes in my repertoire (the very fun to play Dig A Pony being one of them) - one more couldn't hurt, right?

Beginning work on it tonight.

Re purchases, yeah - I've bought more than one guitar on total impulse. Some of them have turned into favorites. I like it when that happens, it's a good thing.

Teledriver likes this.
  6. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    @Highroller I mess around with I've Got A Feeling in open G although played in the key of A. That main riff played ala Keith Richard's open G standard '-add9' or whatever sounds really good, and is easy to do if you already know Keith's open G stuff. Sounds pretty good although not John's way of doing it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Highroller likes this.
  7. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    That’s kind of how I got my dog …. 4F16A36A-C82B-4E8B-B7EC-CFA972F3B5AC.jpeg

Archtops, RRGuitarCo and new6659 like this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    It’s also kinda how I got my first/gateway Gretsch, a 2420T.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Same here. I start out wanting to exercise. But then I lie down and the feeling goes away. So I watch tv instead.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    bhatta, Teledriver, Gregor and 3 others like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Every dog I've had picked me.

ruger9 and sgarnett like this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Ever since I discovered Justin Johnson a few weeks ago, I've been researching/shopping for a resonator LOL

rake_ether likes this.
  12. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Thanks, being that it's kinda your basic A/D A/D A/D thing over and over, I can see where it'd lend itself to an open G tuning pretty well. Once I get the "right way" down, I'll give it a shot.

I've never been a real stickler for "playing it like the record" anyway. More fun to put your own spin on things.

JeffreyLeePierre and Archtops like this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    In my youth, I wanted to be able to play the parts "just like my heroes", and got close but rarely exact. But as I grew and had more years under my belt, I realized that being a copy machine was NOT as musical or personal as "putting your own spin on things". In my cover band, I like playing the rhythm parts exactly right, but when it comes to the solos, I quote the memorable parts, and improvise the rest. And on some songs where the solo isn't a "signature" one, I just blow.

14. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Everytime I put my hands on a piano it reminds me I suck big time.
    So all I would need to do is keep practicing, and practicing. And when I finished practicing, then practicing a little more :).
    But everytime I hear the sound of a guitar, can't help but stop and pick the one I have on the guitar stand at the moment (now: my 5220).
    I'll never be a decent piano player if I keep on being distracted by some Gretsch in the room! :D

Teledriver, Archtops and wabash slim like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I just got an accordion...

16. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I start my day telling myself, today I’m going to get out such and such guitar and play the hell out of it. Then I’ll tell myself, I’m finally going to learn how to use the looper. Then I get distracted in my shop and do neither.

new6659 likes this.
  17. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Well, for today’s practice I was going to continue work on "I’m A Loser" and "She’s A Woman", but now I’ve been distracted and will have to at least explore "Dig A Pony". I also had to set "Girl" aside. :oops:

18. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Don't forget from time to time to scream on A7 then rush to E / G / D bridge.

(I like doing that over and over too... :))

Highroller and Archtops like this.
  19. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    ...on purpose, or did you intend to get a harmonica, lol?

Archtops likes this.
  20. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I don`t know whether it is an advantage or not but I don´t get distracted very often.
    I like to get things done as I planned them.
    E.g.: When I enter a shop I usually carry a shopping-list with me and I would rarely buy something that is not on that list.
    When I want to do something musical I usually plan things out before and go with it.
    I am like a bulldozer when it comes to finishing things in a straight way.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.