Sometimes they listen

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
Teens simply do not have an adult’s understanding of the world around them. They don’t understand what it takes for the adults in their world to open doors and sometimes hold them open for them. Both of my sons are in their 40’s. The older one has children of his own and he is only now beginning to understand. The younger one still doesn’t get it.

Even as adults, we see the world through our own perspective. I was two months shy of 71 when I retired. I thought, OK, I’m done. Others saw things differently.

CousinWarsh

Country Gent
Jun 24, 2018
Western NY
Good job dad! I have 3 teenaged boys and they seem to have their heads screwed on right most of the time. There’s nothing like watching them grow into men, it’s cool and freaks me out at the same time.

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Silver Member
Dec 7, 2011
United States
Hard diligent work by parents grow repsonible young humans, when all the gears work right, it’s certainly a blessing, kudos to you and the Mrs.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I could be a pretty rotten kid. It wasn’t deliberate, I was just really dumb. I can’t imagine what my folks must have thought of me.

Maybe it was because I was such a pain in the butt, but I knew I never wanted to have children. Even when I was a child, I knew I never wanted them!
79445E52-6C36-456B-9FFD-50DD33749887.gif

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I was a mostly quiet kid. I didn’t give in to peer pressure and that stupidity, saw and relaized tue dangers or drugs and alcohol, especially they way the people I knew used them. My parents never even gave me a curfew. I didn’t even know my home town had a curfew until I returned home after the service. My sister was the problem child. She made up for all my goodness with multiples of problems! We still don’t talk much. I wouldn’t let my kids become that sort of problem.

Chet Harrison

Gretschie
Apr 27, 2020
USA
I never learned much from my dad except by observation. It was a passive thing. Mostly how to deal with people. He traveled a fair amount for work.

My mom did most of the raising in our house. She imparted as much knowledge as she could, but her way of moving through the world has mostly served as a counter-example— “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Guess I lucked out for once. I think both kids are amazing. I’m not much of a talker, when I uphold restrictions I’ll make sure to explain my reasoning. Which is different from my own childhood of just getting told what to do. My kids cross the line and they will know it. Yes I’m talking a corrective slap, and yes it hurt me more than them. Only happened two times with the boy, never with the girl.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I never learned much from my dad except by observation. It was a passive thing. Mostly how to deal with people. He traveled a fair amount for work.

My mom did most of the raising in our house. She imparted as much knowledge as she could, but her way of moving through the world has mostly served as a counter-example— “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”
Kind of the same the same boat. My was all about fear and everything was going to make me sick or Jill me and dad would rather work around the garage and fields than do any kid stuff. I learned more about how I didn’t want to act from them than any thing they taught me directly. My sister completely learned by example which is probably why they had such a turbulent relationship. I was always told I was an I’d would because of how I acted. Not that I was perfect but I was much more wise in how to do what I wanted without making waves or getting caught.

Latest posts