Sometimes I get the feeling

Falconetti

Synchromatic
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
I am currently not entirely sure how many electric guitars i have. Probably 10 maybe 11 ( but some are waiting to be sold ) and 2 acoustics. I acquired a Gibson Midtown in Pelham Blue last week so expect a NGD post soon. Every time i thin down the numbers i come across another unbelievable deal and the whole cycle starts again. I am determined to refuce numbers ….soon….but not just yet….but soon….yeah definitely soon…..maybe.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I got eight electrics and I consider this to me a modest number.
I have no intentions to blow up my stable to more guitars (been there...) but I still have two or three on my bucket list.
No impulse-buyer here.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
There are so many different makers and types of guitars and so many styles of music one could play and I want to try them all.
Quite a few players have made videos touting the 4 or 5 "Guitars every player should own." Usually a Strat, a LP, a Tele, sometimes an ES-335 or SG, sometimes a shredder, etc.
So I bought a couple of each of those (or a clone). Then I wanted a full-hollow Gretsch and bought a G5129. And an electric 12-string, then an acoustic 12. A Yamaha 4-string Bass. An SG. A few more T-types with different pickup combinations. Couple more Strats.

I am lucky that I don't have expensive tastes. Most of my guitars are good quality in the $400-$900 range. Fender Player series, G&L Tributes, two Gretsch Streamliners, two Gibson Tributes, etc. All were on sale, none cost over $1K and most were around $500.

I am a much better collector than player.

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
I've got 8 guitars.
You know what I use the most? My little ukulele! Always on hand, sitting beside me on the sofa. (Gretsch, of course!)

Last edited:

mbkri

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
Im at 8 electrics and one acoustic. And i am half heartedly considering going down to 7 and 1. Used to be in the 13-14 range but ive boiled it down to the ones that really work with my playing.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
I often look over my harem and realize I just have too many dual humbucker guitars. I like the variety but I need to get rid of some. I'm actually thinking of just keeping The One, and even occasionally entertain selling that, buying a killer Warmoth kit, and assembling my own personalized monster player. I wish people around here would actually buy guitars.

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
I have 13 electrics and 2 acoustics (really only 1 as the other needs a neck reset). It's crazy because half of my playing time is on acoustic so the other half of my playing is with 13 different electrics.

It seems odd but not really as singing is just as big as my playing so the acoustic has double duty......1) learn and play songs, and 2) the instrumental accompaniment to my voice. My electric guitar playing I feel is the key that unlocks the door to a whole other "world". The electrics provide a magical world to create, learn, play what I know, and so much more. Electrics are my gateway to never ending creativity.

Why do I have that many electrics? Intent. The wanting, wishing, desire, and planning is to play wayyyyyyyy more than I do. So my acoustic is used as more of a "working must-have", where the electric is also a working tool for gigging but then also the colors of paint that go on the canvas (amp).

If I had more time, my acoustic playing would stay the same but my electric playing would be far more.....more like a 4:1 ratio vs. the current 50/50 split. I've been playing since 1988 and my desire to play grows.

This sounds just like my own situation. I have 11 electrics and 4 acoustic-electrics, and when I play out it's in church, and mainly singing solo with my Taylor A-E. With that in mind, one might think that I have waaay too many electrics. The thing is that musically, I started on a clarinet when I was in the 4th grade, even though I wanted to play the drums. I lost interest in playing the clarinet, and I went through the next 30 years without playing music. When life changes brought music back into my life, I embraced it and explored it. I have bought/sold/traded gear for the instruments and amps that I have, and I have had a blast exploring what it is that I like and don't like in the way of feel, tone, and overall playability.

I will likely downsize in the not-too-distant future, as I have a guitar inbound, that will make at least 2 guitars expendable, but I am in no hurry to downsize at the moment.

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Despite having the number of guitars that I have, (30-40 something), I can still only play them one at a time, which, in the end, makes me no better than the guy with only one guitar.
I'm the same way with "lead-projectile down-range throwing tools", books, comic books, vinyl records, CD's, DVD's, pocketknives and a myriad of other items (thankfully, used bread ties and used Q-tips are not on the list).

Enjoy what you have, and forget about serial hoarders like myself. We're the ones with the addictive problem, not you... you're completely normal.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Despite having the number of guitars that I have, (30-40 something), I can still only play them one at a time, which, in the end, makes me no better than the guy with only one guitar.
I'm the same way with "lead-projectile down-range throwing tools", books, comic books, vinyl records, CD's, DVD's, pocketknives and a myriad of other items (thankfully, used bread ties and used Q-tips are not on the list).

Enjoy what you have, and forget about serial hoarders like myself. We're the ones with the addictive problem, not you... you're completely normal.
Never, and I mean never have I been called normal. Usually I hear things like twisted, hey Bertotti you’re just twisted!

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
This sounds just like my own situation. I have 11 electrics and 4 acoustic-electrics, and when I play out it's in church, and mainly singing solo with my Taylor A-E. With that in mind, one might think that I have waaay too many electrics. The thing is that musically, I started on a clarinet when I was in the 4th grade, even though I wanted to play the drums. I lost interest in playing the clarinet, and I went through the next 30 years without playing music. When life changes brought music back into my life, I embraced it and explored it. I have bought/sold/traded gear for the instruments and amps that I have, and I have had a blast exploring what it is that I like and don't like in the way of feel, tone, and overall playability.

I will likely downsize in the not-too-distant future, as I have a guitar inbound, that will make at least 2 guitars expendable, but I am in no hurry to downsize at the moment.
For you the clarinet and for me the trombone in 5th grade......I have no idea what happened to my request as I asked my parents for a saxophone! But that may have been the beginning of why I wanted to play the guitar....I loved Sax solos "Maneater", "Rebel Rouser" and other stuff. Also like you, My Taylor is my acoustic...it is the 414ce.

I ditched the trombone in 8th grade, choir then in high school but also got that 1st guitar sophomore year. I had to.....I was exposed to more music and NEEDED to "be a part of it all". BB King, Chuck Berry and some various Pink Floyd songs (especially "Embryo" which was never released but recorded live in the early '70s) were really the catalysts. I wanted to soooo bad and never wavered in my belief that I could learn how to play that 6-string monster.

I do not think I'll buy more (as I just bought a new Tele-type guitar used) but will do some pickup swaps....thinking lipstick pickups in my MIM Tex-Mex Strat and T-Armonds in my goldtop Edwards LP(92).

I just really need to learn the difference between being curious vs. GAS,,,,the latter really pushing me to purchase.

Faye

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2019
Derbyshire
Heh, I'm the same way.
Mine is just an old Yamaha beater and it rarely sees the outside of a closet.

I only bought my acoustic a couple of years ago (a Taylor GS Mini) to play in the pub. It's the first one I've owned in 45 years of playing; decent enough, but a bit too much like 'effort'.

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
Nah - you're fine. I have 3 acoustics and 4 electrics. However:

One acoustic was given to me by my brother who no longer plays, my daughter has one and my Taylor 512GC which is my go to guitar and the one I play the most.

I do have 4 electrics; G2622, G2215-P90, player Tele and a Yamaha RS820. They give me some inspiration due to their different sounds. I do use them to accompany my Taylor when recording to add dimension but I am not really an electric player.

I often think about selling a few of the electrics but my wife will say "Do you like them and like to play them? If so, keep them." Hard to argue with that.