Sometimes I get the feeling

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
that I am in the minority here having only four electric guitars. A Minarick Lotus Studio, Two Strats an mim and a cij, and My Penguin.

I often get the feeling everyone here have at least a dozen or quadruple that more electric guitars! And I actually like acoustic better.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
that I am in the minority here having only four electric guitars. A Minarick Lotus Studio, Two Strats an mim and a cij, and My Penguin.

I often get the feeling everyone here have at least a dozen or quadruple that more electric guitars! And I actually like acoustic better.

I'm with you -- the minority of the eminently reasonable! I currently also own only four electric guitars (three acoustic). And one of those four electrics only just arrived. I feel like if I own them, I should be playing gigs with them or at least recording with them, hence "only" seven.

But as for liking acoustics better, you might want to see someone about that. :)

(Even though, okay, I've gigged more with my Selmer-style than all my others combined.)

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

I play acoustic more often than electric. 3 electrics, 3 acoustics.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I'm with you -- the minority of the eminently reasonable! I currently also own only four electric guitars (three acoustic). And one of those four electrics only just arrived. I feel like if I own them, I should be playing gigs with them or at least recording with them, hence "only" seven.

But as for liking acoustics better, you might want to see someone about that. :)

(Even though, okay, I've gigged more with my Selmer-style than all my others combined.)
I also have three acoustics which is odd considering how much I like them. But in my defense the Little Martin was first and turned into a gateway drug so when my dad died he left me some cash so I got a 000-18Ge ‘37sunburst and a daughter. Seems a good deal all the way around. And later after my Penguin I jumped on a Rancher Penguin Parlor. I could have easily done with out that one. It has finally opened up enough that I don’t fully regret buying it but nothing compares to my Martins, so much so that when I got the 000 no electric left it’s case for almost a decade until the BroadwayJade caught my eye. Now they all get rotated in and out but the 000 is just me. That and my OldWave Oval A mandolin. I could easily live with just those two.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
I also have three acoustics which is odd considering how much I like them. But in my defense the Little Martin was first and turned into a gateway drug so when my dad died he left me some cash so I got a 000-18Ge ‘37sunburst and a daughter. Seems a good deal all the way around. And later after my Penguin I jumped on a Rancher Penguin Parlor. I could have easily done with out that one. It has finally opened up enough that I don’t fully regret buying it but nothing compares to my Martins, so much so that when I got the 000 no electric left it’s case for almost a decade until the BroadwayJade caught my eye. Now they all get rotated in and out but the 000 is just me. That and my OldWave Oval A mandolin. I could easily live with just those two.

My dad keeps trying to give me his 1976 Martin because he can't really play well anymore thanks to a neurological condition, and can't hear it when he does. But I keep telling him to play it anyway, just to enjoy trying. That guitar does sound nice, though nothing I do calls for a flat-top acoustic. I've got a Selmer copy (really a Favino copy) and two archtops.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Not Counting my first electric and acoustic, which I keep for sentimental reasons (the electric could be in good playable shape but it needs some effort), I have 5 electric and one acoautic and I plan to get rid of 1 electric. Next guitar will probably be a custom, though there are 2 guitars I would buy if the right deal came along (6120tb-de and st Vincent goldie cashmere).

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY

I have 13 electrics and 2 acoustics (really only 1 as the other needs a neck reset). It's crazy because half of my playing time is on acoustic so the other half of my playing is with 13 different electrics.

It seems odd but not really as singing is just as big as my playing so the acoustic has double duty......1) learn and play songs, and 2) the instrumental accompaniment to my voice. My electric guitar playing I feel is the key that unlocks the door to a whole other "world". The electrics provide a magical world to create, learn, play what I know, and so much more. Electrics are my gateway to never ending creativity.

Why do I have that many electrics? Intent. The wanting, wishing, desire, and planning is to play wayyyyyyyy more than I do. So my acoustic is used as more of a "working must-have", where the electric is also a working tool for gigging but then also the colors of paint that go on the canvas (amp).

If I had more time, my acoustic playing would stay the same but my electric playing would be far more.....more like a 4:1 ratio vs. the current 50/50 split. I've been playing since 1988 and my desire to play grows.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York

I’m with you, @Bertotti . I have five electrics, an acoustic I play, and an acoustic I can’t bring myself to part with. What’s important isn’t how many, it’s having guitars you enjoy playing. I play all of them through the same amp and use only the two pedals that work for me. I have an amp I keep just in case but haven’t used it in more than a year. MIM through pro line Gretsch through Fender Custom Shop, it’s all good stuff to me. And more of it won’t make it more better.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I think I have 13 guitars at the moment, although this includes 2 basses, a Bass VI (which is sorta a bass), a Melobar lap steel, and an electric classical. In over fifty years of playing, I’ve only owned one flat top, and I have a strong preference for archtops, if I’m thinking acoustic.

Ultimately, I wouldn’t duplicate all of these purchase, were I starting over, but I’m pretty attached to them.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I have 4 electric’s and 1 acoustic that is not that good. So I play mostly electric. I’ve been playing only about 9months so… maybe a duo jet or a better acoustic in my future.🤔
A good acoustic can be really inspirational and convenient. Don't be afraid of checking out parlor size guitars. Great for plucking in the garden or at the beach. Very decent acoustics can be had for a fair and affordbable price.

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa

Don't feel alone. I play my acoustic most of the time.

Love all of my electrics, and having more or less of them, wouldn't make me a better player.

I have one acoustic. I don't need or want any others.

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
This little PRS parlor acoustic is growing on me. My Larrivee plays so nice and sounds sweet as tea but is just a quiet guitar. The parlor is loud and abrasive sounding and I like the dynamics I can get out of it...plus the size is really comfortable.
I think I have about 8 electrics. It feels like a whole lot to me. I could live happily without most of them but though they are inexpensive, I feel like I have some great guitars right now. Having 1 permanently at work is a definite luxury. That will likely have to go before long.
The Gretsches get the least use even though they are some of my best players. I just don’t play a lot of music that they are suited for. Made some preliminary effort but It seems that I’m not really ready to part with them just yet.
Don’t feel left out…if you’re content then that’s a much better position to be in.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I have 0 acoustic. Don't tempt me please.
I honestly didn't want any acoustic guitar, I didn't have much interest in playing unplugged.

But then MF had the Jim Dandy on sale for $150 and I grabbed one just to try it out. It is fantastic, sounds surprisingly good and plays great too! I am amazed, I play it much more than I thought I would.
Very handy to have out on the couch or anywhere and easy to grab for some quick practice. Cheap enough (but relatively rugged) that you don't have to worry about it getting banged up.

It's great for old acoustic blues. Really easy to play, probably the best $150 I've spent.
20 Gretsch Jim Dandy Black.jpg

Edit: another quick point, MF has a nice enough gig bag on sale for less than $20.

Last edited: