Something new this way comes

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Synchro, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That's like 104 in gen-yew-wine American degrees. :) Thats about what our weather is like hear in the northern hemisphere's late spring/summer. I don't even notice the heat until it gets to about 110 F.

2. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks.

3. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Jeez, you'd love Palm Springs! I was there once and it was 118° F. I thought my skin was going to burn off. :eek:

4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It's cold here tonight up on the hill. I just keep reading this over and over.

5. gruvsyco

gruvsyco Gretschie

Jul 31, 2009
    Kalispell, MT
    we've got a wind chill advisory in effect until Monday... -10 to -20

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It was 22 here when I woke up this morning. I know that sounds toasty compared to the temps in a northern-tier state but when you are acclimated to the heat and virtually every day has at least some shirtsleeve weather 22 can seem pretty cold. OTOH, I can remember winter days in Minnesota when it was -10 and I'd think to myself, "oh good, it warmed up". :)

7. gruvsyco

gruvsyco Gretschie

Jul 31, 2009
    Kalispell, MT
    It's funny, I use to live in Northern Cali and winters there were 40-50 degrees and I was bundled up like mad... long sleeve shirt with a sweater and a heavy coat. Here, until we hit the lower teens it's a Tshirt and a Hawaiian type shirt
    and a light jacket or flannel shirt.

I guess you do get acclimated to a degree, I think part is just mental (I've always wanted to live where it snows) and... it just feels warmer outside when it's 20ish with snow than when it's 40ish with rain.

When it dips below 0 though, all bets are off. When you step outside and you feel crystals form instantly on the lining of your nose... it's f'n cold out.

8. Sarah93003

I think we really do get acclimated after a while. When I moved to Cali from Mich. I never wore a jacket during the winter. Now if it's below 60 degrees, I'm wearing a sweatshirt for sure!

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A friend of mine from Minneapolis told me about his visit to San diego during a local cold snap. It was 40 degrees or so and the locals were dressed up like eskimos. He thought to himself all that was missing was someone wearing Sorels . . . until he saw someone actually wearing Sorels. :) Has it ever snowed in San Diego?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  10. Quietly

Quietly Banned

Jul 31, 2009
    Spain
    Nice one Synchro I always had a yearning for one of those but they either slipped on by in time and more lately in budget. I was interested in a 1966 Jazzmaster but the price killed that one. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and another bout of gas.

11. gruvsyco

gruvsyco Gretschie

Jul 31, 2009
    Kalispell, MT
    Thanks... that laugh really came in handy. I was here a year before I had a pair and at that I only wear them occasionally.

Congrats on the guitar btw. I was totally going to get either a Jazz or a Jag the weekend I ended buying my Gretsch. I still lust for one now, I'm kinda thinking at some point it will be a Jag with the dual humbuckers replaced by some TV Jones pickups.

12. Sarah93003

Growing up back East and living in snow country I was quite amused when I first moved to California. I can still remember a cold snap we had here where we awoke to 38 degrees. There was a thin layer of ice on any standing water, etc. I went to the store and happened to see a man wearing a parka, complete with fur collar, but he was wearing shorts and sandals. Funny image! :D Only in California!

13. fretbuzzard

fretbuzzard Former Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Not here.
    Yep, plenty chilly in the -polis these days, but not too bad for December. Now Synchro--throw some flatwound 12s on that bad boy, tame that bridge, and surf's up!

14. Nigehay

Nigehay Gretschie

Aug 21, 2009
    Poole, England
    Congrats on the Jag Mark, never seen one with block inlays before, it looks great.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I've loved Jaguars for their looks since the earliest days of my guitar playing. They were the top of the Fender line when I started.
    I still have a pair of Sorels in my closet and they will be with me on my upcoming trip to the great frozen north.

It's funny how it all works. I like the Jag but itd be gone long before any of my Gretsch guitars.

I started with 10 - 48 flats and a Mustang bridge.

It's an import from Fender Japan. The blocks and binding make it resemble a '66 (or later) so the model is officially known as the 1966 Custom Jaguar Limited Edition.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.