somebody at Fender is smoking crack...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by ruger9, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:42 PM.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Be careful--- that remark is verging on politics.

Waxhead, pmac11, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Doesn't a single bridge pickup, with no neck pickup route, make your first photo not a Tele, but an Esquire..?

I don't like Teles.

Scott likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I don’t much like it, but at the same time, I don’t care.

4. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    They say the new boss is the same as the old boss ☺️
    Won't be fooled again!

Back in Black, SAguitar and Tadhg like this.
  5. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    I totally up agree about Nash. If he didn't relic they would still be excellent.

Back in Black likes this.
  6. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Hmmm.....
    I didn’t realize it was April 1st....

SAguitar likes this.
  7. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    If your going to innovate, tread marks across the front could work.

I still don’t understand who thought the tele body was aesthetically pleasing & why this woodshop project has the tone.

Can I get one with a compartment for my carkeys?

8. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Tad,

Neither one or the other, it is a 1949 prototype of something that did not exist yet.

As far as Leo Fender was concerned, it was simply ''The Spanish Electric''.

BIB.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021 at 4:35 PM
  9. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    But... As it was produced, a single pickup T style guitar is generally badged an Esquire. So it's a prototype of something that would be badged an Esquire.
    If it had two pickups, it would be a prototype for a Broadcaster/Nocaster/Telecaster.

Your post just made me chuckle, because you'd said, "That ain't a Tele, these are Teles," then published two photos. One of which was a model that's never been called a Tele, whereas the thing on the first page with the Floyd is a Fender model and it's called a Tele. :D I get where you're coming from - I've looked at various things served on plates in the past and said, "That's not food!" :p But it just tickled my funny bone, given there's scope to be equally pedantic with that single pickup guitar. :)

Henry likes this.
  10. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I won't be buying one, but I guess you can't blame Fender for trying to expand the customer base. I, for one, won't be owning any more Floyd mechanisms. I have to set up one about twice a year for a friend and that's enough close contact for me. Actually, that one is waiting for me right now in my garage for some special attention.

11. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Tad,

Not so, it was a prototype for something Leo Fender called a ''Spanish Electric''

Broadcaster/Telecaster/Esquire names were still one to three years away from being considered. Telecaster was a substitution for a name that could no longer be used, and No-Caster/Nocaster was never an official Fender name but a nick-name given to a trimmed headstock decal by enthusiasts.

Also, originally there were a few single PU Telecasters, before the name Esquire was created.

You are right about one thing, the 49 Prototype was not a Tele, I should not have shown it. I happen to like ''old'' and ''origins'', and the 49 was an origin of what was to eventually become the Telecaster, and just happens to be my favorite.

BIB.

Nacho 1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    pmac11, mjm0 and Gold Penguin like this.
  12. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    A weird one indeed. Just wondering who they had in mind with this "Frankenstein" Most metal shredders stay far away from Teles (The only one I know is "Shirenc" from "Pungent Stenge" who is a beast on his Tele.which is heavilly down tuned) And can't think of anny country finger picker doing "dive bombs" with a Floyd Rose. As for the modern Wide Range pick ups, I have them in a modern Starcaster and really like them, great for playin Funk & excellent with "dirt" pedals.

13. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Electromatic

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    If someone gave me this black monstrosity I'd put it in a closet and never play it.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
  15. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Tad,

I guess if the definition of your overly used word ''pedantic'' is to bore everyone by speaking at great length...you win!

The attached are all mine, a few photos are repeated, all Tele's and /or Esquires, but not one of them is either a Tele or an Esquire.

A Rose by any other name....

BIB.

2010_01010001.JPG 2010_01010002.JPG 2010_01290002.JPG 2010_01290003.JPG 2011_0506Various0007.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2021 at 11:20 AM
  16. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Tad,

You need to remove the link in your post to Jeff Beck's guitar, it is infected with a virus.

Because of this, I will no longer respond to your posts.

Sorry,

BIB.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2021 at 1:34 PM
  17. Dumbthumbs

Dumbthumbs Gretschie

Nov 28, 2020
    New Mexico
    I'm sorry, but that is one butt-ugly guitar.

18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    BIB, I’m going to take you at your word on that link. Thanks for the heads up.

The discussion has become a bit heated and I would ask that everyone remember that it is expected that we treat one another with respect at G-T.

19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nice little bit of history there, thanks.

20. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    GH,

I love it on this. It's the only thing I've ever liked a Floyd on.

And...on Frankenstein...it functions perfectly.

I have another one, still in the box for over 15 years, not likely I'll ever use it.

Getting it to function properly on a guitar it did not originally come equipped on is a time consuming job.

BIB.

2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0006.JPG 2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0014.JPG 2011_0506Various0006.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.