somebody at Fender is smoking crack...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by ruger9, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    The Floyd is made for slab bodies. I wouldn't want one but to me it is a heap neater than those monstrous Bigsby's on Telecasters and probably way more functional.

Cazza64, toddfan and Chmason85 like this.
  2. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Just another in a long line of tweaks to a 70-year old guitar design. Not to worry, like most the others, this too will pass.

NJDevil and Chmason85 like this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I own guitars with both... neither is "better", they are just different. For someone who only uses the bar for a little "wiggle", the Bigsby or Fender vintage-style Strat trem works fine. But a Floyd Rose would not only be overkill, they are SUPER touchy (move VERY easily- TOO easily if you don't know what you're doing), string changes are a PITA, as is initial tuning up.

Of course, there's also aesthetics- a Bigsby on a tele ain't bad...that's been going on almost as long as the tele has been around, so it belongs.. A Floyd Rose on a super Strat ain't bad- thanks to the 80s, it even belongs. But when you start putting mud tires on Honda Civics, somebody's smoking crack.

NJDevil, RomanS, Jeff67 and 2 others like this.
  4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's not like they don't have 500 other traditional models. Nobody is talking about this being the 'only' model. Some people will like it fine, some will add EMGs and go to town with it.

mjm0 and pmac11 like this.
  5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    ...while smoking crack... :p

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Man, you are so old fashioned... crack is so 80s...

7. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... not my choice, but whoever likes the offer, ... I mean, why should Fender only offer what a stubborn Tele-player like me would like? There's plenty Teles and Tele-derivatives I like, and some are for others.

But ... still, it does look weird ... and not really Telecasteresque, if I'm allowed to say this in a snobby fashion.

8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Yeah, well... I'm old. LOL. Well, I'm 51... I grew up in the late 70's-late 80s.

Jeff67 likes this.
  9. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
  10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I like the look, but the Tele control plate location and the tremelo arm are in conflict with using the controls. The arm's in the way to get at the knobs and the switch.
    Looks?: 8
    Ergonomics?: 4

11. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    I guess if you don’t like it, you don’t buy it.
    Me: I don’t like the look of teles at all.

Whatever they’re doing — its different.
    That movement, failed ot not, is a small attempt at something new. They could try left hand Floyd on right hand guitars with the lever on top.

[Not] unlike builders changing colors one year to the next as “innovation.”

12. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I dig the smaller footprint wide range pickups if that's what they are. Some of them WR are funky in a deep and smoothe kind of way.

Apart from that it's a very functional Tele and as such shouldn't have binding IMO. It's got a Modern Player vibe which puts me off a bit because that particular series was a glorified Squier with poor QC in my experience. This is high-end Fender so QC should be top-notch though.

At least this black headstock matches the body...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 12:22 PM
  13. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    R9,

Just like the Beatles weren't Beatles anymore when they walked across Abby Road, the OP's post does not show a Tele.

Tele's look like my attached photos...and...

I've maintained for years, the best ''Fender Tele's'' do not come from Fender.

As far as ''Fender Guitars'', I've only ever been interested in Tele's, the only ''Strat'' I've ever had any interest in has Red/Black/White stipes on it, and...it's not a Strat.

The best Tele's come from shops like Rock-N-Roll Relics/Nacho/Mario Guitars/Nash...there are a few others...none of them bearing the name ''Fender''.

Photo 1, Nacho, 49 Prototype, Photo 2, Nash, Early Tele modded relic...

The Nacho is expensive, the Nash, half the price of a Fender Relic Tele, and IMHO...much better!

BIB.

Nacho 1.jpg Nash Tele.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM
    mjm0, DennisC and Chmason85 like this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

Yup.
    [​IMG]

mjm0 and Chmason85 like this.
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    It's like the island of misfit guitars.... only not nearly as cute (as the toys).

Jeff67 likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Disgusting! They totally desecrated that Floyd with that weird shaped body with the phallus hanging from it!

GHook and Ricochet like this.
  17. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you're upper class, it's called 'freebase' :)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I like it. It's weird looking for sure, but it's amazing what you can get to used to. Far more interested in how it feels in hand and how it sounds.

Henry likes this.
  19. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    This looks like a weird Ibanez or Yamaha or something

mjm0 likes this.
  20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I sort of like it. I’ve never had a guitar with a Floyd, but a Tele with a whammy appeals to me. I’ve played the wide-range HBs, and they sound great.

The biggest problem with Gibson is that they take their own PR seriously. Once you start believing your own crapola it’s a short step to a straight jacket. :)

Waxhead, pmac11, GHook and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.