Some problem with my new G5220

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by old_internal, Mar 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. guitarzan50

guitarzan50 Electromatic

Feb 21, 2017
    Indiana
    Anyone else notice the warped pickup surrounds. Looks like they drilled the mounting holes in the wrong place causing the surrounds to have a hump in the middle.

old_internal likes this.
  2. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    Optical illusion I believe. The pickup protection plastic is making it look out of whack.

old_internal likes this.
  3. smoengen

smoengen Newbie

Mar 29, 2021
    NO
    I got my first Gretsch this weekend, a G5220 as well, and experience the same issue with the pickup surrounds. It's no optical illusion :)

old_internal likes this.
  4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Nice guitar, a good setup should fix you right up. Keep us posted.

old_internal likes this.
  5. guitarzan50

guitarzan50 Electromatic

Feb 21, 2017
    Indiana
    Looks like QC is asleep on the job.

6. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Sorry, but I don't see the problem with the surrounds. The top(on mine at least) is slightly arched and the surrounds are perfectly adapted to the top giving them a slight arch which I wouldn't call a hump. Hard to tell from the photo though. Maybe the reference is to the side of the surround where the adjustment screws are where I don't see a problem either, so long as everything is flat to the top.

old_internal and Henry like this.
  7. old_internal

old_internal Electromatic

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
  8. old_internal

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
    Thanks for the tip! I have a screwdriver set at home which is pretty good for this.

Back in Black likes this.
  9. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Looks like the hole for the neck pup is too large and it doesn't seem correctly positioned underneath the string :eek: might just seem that way because of the lighting on neck pup in the picture tho :p
    The pups seems to be too low in the body as well.

My guess is that the pups and the action needs to be raised. I recommend a set up by a guitar tech.

Welcome and grats on an awesome guitar :D

10. old_internal

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
  11. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    While I'm sure this information is given in good faith it is completely wrong for the Blacktop Broadtrons.
    Balance is acheived by having the Neck Pickup almost level with the pickup rings and the bridge pickup around the 3/16" from the strings.
    TV Jones recommendations do not have much relevance to the BT Broadtrons in my experience and they are definitely not in the Filtertron family IMO.

Dave Murray, Gregor, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  12. old_internal

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
    So I think my pickup height are in right position!
    My neck pickup is parallel to the pickup ring and bridge pickup slightly above the pickup bridge.

13. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    About the same here if you're referring to the top of the pole piece screws.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Listen to them. The right position for you depends on the sound, not physical distance.

15. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Right on, @Henry!
    All of those manufacturers diagrams are just guidelines. Let your ears decide the final positions. Work with your luthier if you’re not yet comfortable making the adjustments yourself. Valuable skills to be learned here.

old_internal likes this.
  16. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Thanks for correcting me, I haven't noticed that we were talking about Broadtrons. New glasses may be the way to go...
    Nevertheless I think that pickups shouldn't be too far from the strings, but maybe the best advice is what @Henry said. Let the ears decide.

17. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    For pickup placement, you're looking for each of the strings to align with their magnet poles/screws. As for plastic pickup, a hair dryer or removing them and running hot water to bend & train them to go in place. Not really sure you can do anything about a body top bulge in the wood, but the plastic parts can be heated to conform to what the rest of the guitar is doing. Gaps are gaps and the parts were installed. Hard to say though from photos, the camera angle is deceiving. The pickguard looks like it's closer to the Bridge pickup cover than the Neck pickup. The Neck gap looks like it can't be centered because of the Bridge gap without simply creating a gap at the Bridge pickup cover. The strings look fine from the saddles to the fretboard though for as close an alignment for that.

18. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Very few guitars ever arrive set up properly . . . close, but no cigar. If you are getting string buzz on all frets, your neck is out of adjustment. It is not a pickup problem. It is simply that your guitar is not properly set up. I suggest you immediately take your new Gretsch to a guitar repair shop and have it professionally set up. You will be surprised at the result! Proper setup is absolutely REQUIRED in order for any guitar to play properly. There is no reason to return a guitar when the problem lies in SETUP. My next suggestion to you as a guitar newbie is to go on YouTube and watch some setup videos and learn how to do it yourself in the future. Guitars respond to differences in temperature and humidity and need to be tweaked periodically. Good luck to you in your learning curve on how to not only play, but to enjoy the dynamics of your guitar. I believe you will find it very satisfying and will bring you closer to your very fine instrument.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Gregor likes this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That’s possible a factor, the other one is the mounting screws are screwed in too tight.
    You could probably negate some or all of the hump effect by loosening the 4 screws. Just half a turn anti clockwise should do it.

20. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Are you serious? . . . . The placement of a pick guard can affect setup? No way, Jose. I just checked my Electromatic and it looks exactly the same as his. I never even noticed it before and frankly, I don't care. I would like someone to explain to me why a pick guard spaced like that could possibly affect setup and string buzz. Perhaps he should also replace his strap buttons?.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Gretschmen65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.