Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Solid bridges on fixed bases

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Sugardaddy1979, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sugardaddy1979

Sugardaddy1979 Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Athens, GA
    So I have been trying with the idea for a long long long time about trying a compton or a truarc on my 5622. I can't seem to find many reviews from folks with fixed bridge posts though. Anyone here with one of the center block guitars moved to a solid bridge? I'm also considering just upgrading to a better tuneomatic style like the gotoh or Faber. The stock one is just annoying. It buzzes on the G and is generally dead on the unwound strings.

2. Not sure if your bridge is secured like mine. But I have a hotrod that has two little posts that come up to keep the bridge in place. I have used a few conptons with it and they all work very well. Just order the right hole and string spacing. Shouldn't be an issue, but others will chime in soon.

3. Sugardaddy1979

Sugardaddy1979 Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Athens, GA
    Thanks! The center blocks have fixed bushings just like the jet. So no intonation issues for you?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Erm...I guess both of you are a bit confused ;) the 5622 got a fixed bridge with bushings, no bridge base. Sugardaddy wants to know if a Compton or TruArc works on that gibson-like concept.

6. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Depending on the setup of the guitar and the strings used, intonation may not be an issue or may be. A secured bridge on an Electromatic is not easily unsecured. You might have luck with a bar bridge, otherwise a Gotoh ABR without the retainer wire would be great and affordable. Gretsch should use these bridges stock for their Tune-o-matic choice.

7. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I believe that was the purpose for which the Tru-Arc Serpentune was designed

8. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That's exactly my experience with my Falcon, which has a pinned bridge base and came stock with a True-Arc and a .11 D'Addario XL set ... intonation was slightly off.

After switching to Gibson Vintage Reissue in .10 intonation was spot on.

9. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I've heard people say they couldn't get accurate enough intonation with a fixed bar bridge. My only experience was with a Compton on a Gretsch Corvette. The intonation was dead on with the harmonics. Only out a minuscule amount on a fretted 12th. Not enough that I would have noticed without my Peterson tuner. And varied fretting pressure could pull it in or out of intonation anyway.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have a couple of Compton bridges on fixed posts. The best recipe for success is to check if the diagonal slant of your bridge saddle pattern would match the one on a Compton. You want a more or less straight slant right through the center of the bridge, if that makes sense. Obviously it will be off at the G or B string, but if it's not too much I don't foresee any problems.

Mind the thickness of the posts, they're not a standard size. Measure twice, order once.

Epiphone Wildkat
    [​IMG]

Epiphone Sheraton II
    [​IMG]

Bach LP Junior
    [​IMG]

Stefan and audept like this.
  11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I guess a True-Arc Serpentune is the better choice here.

12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    On my fixed bridge post Historics 3140 & 3141 the Comptons intonated correctly, so just lucky I guess. On some of my pinned bridge prolines I had to remove the bridge pin grubscrews so that the Comptons could be intonated properly, only a small adjustment and totally reversible.

3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 017b.JPG 3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 052.jpg

Stefan and Ricochet like this.
  13. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    Compton bridges also makes a bridge for the Jets with fixed bridge posts and have 1/4" holes and it was designed well ahead of the bridge mentioned by Aymara. :D
    "Pops"
    Small Bridge.jpg

audept, Aymara and Stefan like this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I've never seen this bridge on your website pops. Is it still available? Will it also work on a floating bridge?

15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have a Compton but the truarc maker owned a 5622 so presumably it works ok with it. His was actually one of the first videos I watched when shopping for the 5622.

16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Haaa ... spread the words ;)

PS: Is that also available in several differental metal choices?