Sold a bunch of guitars - now unsure what to do

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by amp360, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Luthier47

Luthier47 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2021
    East coast USA
    My mom bought me a used white Falcon in 1965 that had been traded in at a guitar store, it was the double cutaway with a bigsby arm that looked like a piece of gold plated threaded pipe fitting and the rod screwed in. Had that guitar over 35 years and sold it when I got nervous about the binding delaminating. Never knew about Dan Erlewine back then, then Sold a Country Club, 5 Les Paul recording models, a Brian Setzer SSO, Fender strat 50th anniversary and. PRS 10 top. Near $20K.

my wife wanted to go to school. Turns out she dropped out 1 month later. Besides being nauseous for 3 weeks, I eventually replaced a few with a great Taylor and a few others BUT IT AIN’T THE SAME. Had that Falcon since I was 14 and I was 56 at the time. Choose wisely.

2. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Hmm...new band name.

"Codpiece and the Eunuchs"

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    In these testing times they’d probably feel very safe. Expect the place to be packed. :rolleyes:

amp360 likes this.
  4. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    When you don't know what to do, do nothing. More to be revealed. Do not go to the guitar show prepared to spend your money because you will and very possibly be unhappy. Sit on it and wait until you are really sure about what you want. Then you will make the right and smart purchase and never regret it.

5. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I stayed under budget and kept the collection manageable. I'd still have to buy what I originally did to get to 8 guitars to liquidate the entire collection. I can get by with an acoustic electric, a Strat & LP, I sold one LP and months later the buyer was upgrading & I got 1st opportunity to buy it back, so I did. That worked out great, because it was in virtually the same condition I sold it for, needing only new strings. So now I sit back at 1 acoustic electric, 2 Strats & 1 LP. That will be all I maintain, until I find the right pricing for a Mustang, Telecaster or Airline '59 3P DLX. The thing is the Applause, Squiers & Epiphone were all priced to be keepers as new or pre-owned.

The rest of my gear is the same way, nothing anyone would covet or be envious of. So I will stay right sized until something dies & needs to be replaced. I suspect I will probably be buried before I discard or sell off.

6. fleetwoodPC

fleetwoodPC Electromatic

Nov 20, 2020
    Phila
  7. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Oh no, no duplication there ... Ha! You must have a very different definition of "duplication" than I do! ;)

8. Sparkle Jet

Sparkle Jet Electromatic

Jul 10, 2014
    Wake Forest
    Amp360, I think you know the answer. I’d go check out the Dallas show before making a decision, just to see what might pop up. I hover between upper 38-42 guitars. My oldest is a 67 Strat, wonderful guitar. Have an all original 72 Les Paul Deluxe and a 79 KM LP CSB with cream tops, that sounds fabulous but it’s heavy as all get out. I’ve got everything from Epiphones to MIJ Fender and quirky stuff; all the way up to Professional Gretsches and hi end PRS’s, Heritage etc. Won’t bore you with all the models but those are investment grade guitars and worth every penny I paid for them. With that said, you’ll know it when you see it and play it and you’ll have the 10 K to buy it have fun searching!

9. Fathand

Fathand Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Port Dover
    Pay down your mortgage/debt or invest in a Retirements Savings Plan or 401K or whatever. Use the savings or tax refund to buy a guitar.

Mark W likes this.
  10. paddycarroll

paddycarroll Electromatic

Similar position, just lashed out on a 65 Jag and 63 Firebird with a headstock repair, Life is too short, yeah I know the fb has a 64 scratch plate....

new6659 and amp360 like this.
  11. Bobstephens

Bobstephens Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    Tehachapi, California
    Do you have a Paul Reed Smith? There are some really gorgeous private stock’s out there.

12. afire

afire Country Gent

I'll just say I like where your head is at. My next guitar is going to be a Custom Shop Gretsch and will probably end up somewhere in the $7,000-$10,000 range. But I can see the wisdom of going with two $5,000 guitars. There are a lot of fabulous guitar to be had with that kind of money. What I wouldn't do (and never have done) would be to buy 10 $1,000 guitars. I'd rather have one or two special guitars than 10 pretty good ones.
    To me, the value of a Custom shop guitar is that they can replicate a vintage guitar to a high standard that I'm unlikely to afford or shell out for.

13. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    My mortgage is something like 2% interest. I would be losing money if I paid it off. I don't know what a tax refund that you speak of is.

Like I said, I'm looking to buy a guitar because I sold some guitars. The rest of my finances are fine.

sgarnett likes this.
  14. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    For a while I had a loose connection to PRS so I have two of their guitars (one baritone that they made like 12 or 24 of and one with my name on the back. They're nice but not something I'm that into.

I don't know what a "Professional Gretsch" is. I just have a couple old ones.

Basically I'm still leaning toward a late 60s 345

15. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Sounds like you need to go to the show and spot you a 345.

-m

amp360 likes this.
  16. te-chi

te-chi Electromatic

Dec 13, 2015
    montreal
    Why not trying something different like a Montreal made XXL guitar, worth a look

17. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Why? I have a 60s ES-330. Would be redundant

18. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Or 355 if the price is right!

19. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I think they’re awesome. I have toyed with getting one but probably wouldn’t play it all that much,

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.