Sold a bunch of guitars - now unsure what to do

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by amp360, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Here's a nice $7K Taye, and it's in Houston. Maybe they'll drive up to Dallas for the show.

[​IMG]

2. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    The Taye is a cool guitar but I had a Zematis and ended up selling it because I didn't really play it that much.

I'm really leaning toward something like a 345/355 if I can find a repaired one or a newer one with the narrow nut.

3. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Take it all and invest in Zoom!!!

hold it, wait...... we’re supposed to be friends here

amp360 likes this.
  4. Having a harem of 20 guitars means hiring eunuchs to play the ignored ones for you, doesn’t it?

Waxhead and panhead6zero like this.
  5. You don’t PLAY a guitar like this, you erect a shrine & worship it.

new6659 and Highroller like this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Scruffs vintage guitars has a 1959ES345 that will make you weep.
    I follow them on Instagram. No affiliation.

7. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    A couple years ago CME had a black '59 but I've had bad experiences with them selling things that were not what they say they are so I stayed far away!

They make a 355 now but it's got Richlite and no Varitone. Just a 335 with LPC binding and no ebony. Kind of a shame.

8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Cool situation to be in. You earned it, now it just takes patience to see what shows up to fill that gap.

Just never know what will come up and when.

Happy hunting!

9. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I'm also advising patience. But if the money really is burning a hole in your pocket, you could get a loved one something nice. Just a thought.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well hopefully you'd enjoy listening to the Eunuchs play them more than yourself.................

Cos if you own 20 you rarely get to play at least 15 and when you do finally pick one up it'll need new strings.
    So rather than playing you'd spend most of your time restringing.
    Good thing I don't have space for that many :)

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That`s an incredibly nice position that you are in. Congratulations.
    If I were fortunate enough I would ask myself what would make me really happy owning.
    In my case it would be a 50ies Les Paul Junior or a 72 Medallion V. These would be great investment-grade guitars that are fun to play and will go up in value while enjoying them.

amp360 likes this.
  12. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have a V and about 8 or 10 50s jr/specials or something like that. I'm probably going to start selling those next because the prices are just stupid. I don't think I ever paid more than $1000 for any of my TV ones or more than 600 for any of my SB/Cherry ones.

13. Buying strings in bulk is a cost savings.
    I don’t think collecting has very much to do with playing.

I get buying a lot of guitars. That’s a given player’s prerogative.
    Pruning it down to the very best is good too. I have several that are acceptable, but not stellar & I can’t get rid of the ones which mostly just take up space. Separation anxiety, I guess.

Waxhead likes this.
  14. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I can tell you that getting rid of things you don't play is the best thing you can do. If you start doing that you'll end up clearing out a bunch of stuff like I did. I don't have a lot of duplication and I do make my living doing this. If I didn't I would probably have a lot of stuff but less than I have now.

I'm trying to do the same with pedals and amps but that's a little slower going right now.

I don't pay for (most of) my strings so that's not an issue.

sgarnett likes this.
  15. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I have a Gibson Lucille, which is basically an ES-355 with the optional Varitone and stereo wiring, and no f-holes. It also has a maple neck and fine tuner tailpiece. All those options, standard on the Lucille, add up to a guitar that is at least as heavy as a solid Les Paul. I find it faster to just use the regular tuners. The varitone has its uses, and the stereo wiring is fun to play with (using two different amps). I rarely use them (granting that I don't earn my living in music). All in all, if I was shopping for another ES-355, I'd go for the lighter standard model without the heavy options (in the same spirit as selling guitars I don't play).

Runamok likes this.
  16. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    I would contact the Gretsch Custom shop and have them build exactly what you would like.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    OMG! That`s mind-boggling.

18. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    That’s exactly how I do it. After my wife passed I would wake up everyday and tell myself “new day, new chance”. And look at me now, married again and living life

new6659, mr coffee, sgarnett and 2 others like this.
  19. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I would order a Custom Shop Gretsch or Jackson.

20. There’s a band name which won’t get many chicks hanging ‘round. The Eunuchs.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.