Sold a bunch of guitars - now unsure what to do

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by amp360, Apr 24, 2021.

1. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Over the past two months I sold 8 guitars. None of these were crazy expensive or rare or anything. I just looked around and thought I have way too much stuff that doesn't really get played.

All of them were good guitars and a couple I really liked but honestly I have not missed them at all since they've been gone and the people who have them are happy with them.

I'm sitting on about $10,000 right now and want to keep the money in my collection. Part of me wants to buy one really nice guitar (I'm leaning toward a ES-355 with a headstock repair or something along those lines) and part of me wants to buy two nice guitars in the $5000 range.

I know it's kind of a big purchase but I had about $4500 into the stuff I sold because most of it I got really cheap/had for a long time.

Next weekend I'm going to the Dallas show and I don't have a problem coming home empty handed, but was wondering what others would do in this situation.

* I don't have any outstanding debt/bills and I have other money in the bank, etc....

2. I have never been in a situation where there was money in the bank, no bills owed, and a large chunk of change to buy a guitar/s At the same time a guitar show is approaching. Doesnt seem like a problem, if it is, I’m sure many here would trade places with you. So i cant help ya. But I congratulate you and hope you find something to fill the void for now. Oddly for me, the GAS hits when i dont have cash, and when i do have the cash i a slow to spend it.

3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    If I were in the same situation, i would upgrade my “studio” space, hang some good mics, position others on stands in my space, upgrade interface to handle more inputs. Sound treatments on walls and ceiling, nice pair of monitors, and a couple big video monitors. I have a version of this, just not as nice as I would like. I am always moving toward making recording easier/ better. Being able to “just push record” and have a really good tone going down, good backing tracks, etc, is where I find my fun...... but maybe you just want an expensive guitar,,, I dig those too :D:confused::rolleyes:

4. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    What a great place to be. Thats exciting.
    Not sure why you would buy a 355 with a headstock repair but i have no idea on the price of those but whether you are looking to add one OR two major purchases I wouldnt be looking at headstock repairs AT ALL.
    I did something similar over the last couple of years and bought two with pretty much the same budget as you. But they were specific bucket list guitars. Sounds like you are open minded about what to get so i would just keep an open mind and wait till something calls you. Personally if i had $10,000 then i’d spend it on one phenomenal guitar. I figure im more likely to have $5000 in the bank at some point in the future but this is a rare opportunity to go for something huge.
    Whatever you decide i hope we get to see it all on the forum.

5. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Congrats on the slush fund! LoL!

I don't want to say "go buy an XYZ" because for all I know, you just sold one. But for me, I've always had a mental block about spending more than $2500 on a single guitar. I'd use the opportunity to pick up few really nice acoustics, stuff in the $3500 range that'd I'd never buy otherwise. Maybe a couple Gibsons - an SJ200, a Hummingbird, or maybe a Guild F55.

But that's just me. Have fun shopping!

amp360 likes this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Actually when it comes to Gibson buying a guitar with a repaired head stock for a cheaper price is a great option as long as the repair was done right.
    In December I bought a NOS 2018 Gibson 61 SG Standard for over half off the going price and it's a great sounding and playing guitar. Lots of guitar repair guys will tell you that a repaired Gibson head stock is usually stronger than it was before it broke.

stiv, Sid Nitzerglobin and amp360 like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I did the same and reschuffled my small collection and “built” my dream Strat. With all the “extra” money I still have I am up grading/modifying the electrics I kept or acquired.

amp360 likes this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    On the topic of what to do with the $10,000 from guitar sales well the way the economy is heading I would hang on to the money if you already have enough guitars to cover your needs and not your wants...:).

9. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Yeah, I already have my studio pretty built out (ProTools HD, large format console, multitrack tape machine, nice mics/pres, etc...) .

This is kind of the perfect storm. I had seen a guitar locally that I really wanted but couldn't justify because of space issues and since I have had three tours cancelled because of Covid haven't really wanted to spend the money.

I decided to sell a bunch of stuff I don't use and just use the cash to reinvest in some better stuff. I really have always wanted a 345 or 355 but haven't ever had the chance to buy one. I have a late 1960s ES-330 (with the narrow neck that nobody likes) that I brought on a tour in Asia as a backup and ended up playing it 80% of the time. If I could find a 67-69ish ES-345/355 around that time that was cherry or sunburst I would be happy as long as I could play it first. I've got some bad memories about the walnut ones, bad tailpiece conversions, etc....

I have seen mid 60s models with repairs but all the parts go for 10kish and I wouldn't have a problem with that. I have a 58 Les Paul Standard that had a headstock repair years before I bought it and it plays and sounds great.

A few years ago I bought a beautiful late 60s/early 70s (can't quite read the number but no volute, etc...) Les Paul Custom with a 2 stamped on it and a repair for $1800 (wrong knobs, bridge/tailpiece, original tuners but holes from other ones, Throwbaks and a non nib refret) and I love that guitar to death.

Part of me is leaning toward going with an earlier repaired 3x5 and part of me is leaning toward a couple of something else (maybe a repaired later 60s thing).

I know this is def a first world problem but it's fun to think about :)

Here is my ES-330 in all its glory. I actually just found a pair of metal covers for the pickups, which are Lollars, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

This is the LPC I was talking about.

[​IMG]

And because we all like GreTsch stuff here is my old 6120!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I Can only speak for myself, but I would get the custom guitar of my dreams.

Cass likes this.
  11. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I've done that and honestly I've realized that guitar companies know a lot more than I do about designing a guitar I like. Ed Roman built me a few great guitars to fill specific needs (a solid body electric with a tone chamber, internal mic and piezo), etc... but usually for regular playing I tend to like things as they were. I don't ever modify anything unless I get something with a bunch of changed parts and put them back.

Henry likes this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    VERY nice digs!

Cazza64 and amp360 like this.
  13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Impressive wall O’ amps as well!!! Maaan I’d get lost for a loooong time tone-searchin in that room!

Archtops likes this.
  14. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    A,

Make a nice donation to St. Jude's, and pick up something special in Dallas.

I know this is a Gretsch forum...but have you ever owned a Rickenbacker?

BIB.

Archtops likes this.
  15. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Have you any Kiesels?

-m

16. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Collections are great. I’ve been a fan of the quality over quantity concept. Best of luck in your decision and search. Post whichever NGD you get.

mrfixitmi, amp360 and Archtops like this.
  17. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    That’s a tough decision. I’d wait until you go to the Dallas show. Best of luck!

amp360 likes this.
  18. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I already give to St Jude's monthly. I have two Rickenbacker guitars. A 330 and a 620. I think the 620 is in the background of one of the pics I posted.

19. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I had a Carvin endorsement for about a year through someone that I played with. I didn't have a ton of choice in the matter but I tried a bunch of their guitars and nothing really suited me. Keisel are top notch but they don't really offer anything that I would want to own.

If they did a reissue DC-125 or the old Hofnersemi hollow they made maybe for nostalgia's sake.

Merc and mr coffee like this.
  20. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Hey you guys are always welcome if you're in my area.

sgarnett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.