So what does the GT-collective make of the Fidelisonics?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Ricochet, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The new Streamliner pickups. Maybe I missed the hubbub or public outrage? P90 staple pickups(inexplicably called Fidelisonic) and new PU rings?!
    Personally I love the look but I’m not sure a Gretsch needs’m. Still cudos to Gretsch for trying something new.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Winkels, gtttrrr, BorderRadio and 4 others like this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I love the look too ! :cool::cool::cool:

I'd be pleased to find those FideliSonic P90 pickups as spare parts, with their rings ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A+!

Ricochet likes this.
  3. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Fixed that for ya.

-m

Ricochet likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Try the Roswell P90 Staple, can’t help you with the ring, but plastic is cheap and plentiful. :)

5. Ricochet

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Haha! :p

6. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Look, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, alright, just saying certain recent moves by Gretsch really feel like Fender trying to throw things against the wall and see what sticks in hopes that they can build Gretsch into a bigger selling brand lest the brand find itself in the path of a bean counter's axe.

-m

Randy99CL and Ricochet like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, true @Ricochet : I forgot them ! :oops:;)

I have a project under construction with a pair of P-90, an Epiphone LPS-II LH in Daphne Blue, and those FideliSonic would have been a nice option. :cool:

A+!

BorderRadio and Ricochet like this.
  8. Let me get my list out and add the new name. I’m still trying to figure pouty fidelitron on my rancher.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The world is used to P-90s with adjustable pole screws.

I love the classic P-90s in my G2622T-P90 and at some point will stop by GC to listen to the new version of the same guitar.
    TBH I don't expect the new pickups to sound better than the old. Fender really is a marketing company that is always looking for "new" and "different" to spur sales.
    I think it is likely that they voiced the new pickups differently, it would be cool if they created a new sound.
    Any reviews yet?

Edit: I should have known that Anderton's made a review video a month ago.
    2021 Gretsch Streamliner Collection - Their Greatest Value for Money Guitar Yet? - YouTube I've watched the video and I do like the sound of the new ones. As usual, Pete makes it sing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Ricochet likes this.
  10. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Sorry Ric,

First time I've seen that particular model...hopefully the last.

Gretsch by brand only.

Just me.

BIB.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Like P90s my issue is I think they should be a little bit smaller. They look oversized in most guitars to me.

Ricochet likes this.
  12. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Don’t like em . I like the color that’s about it

Ricochet likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I really want to like these, and will likely get a Streamliner for them. They’re like inexpensive (unadjustable) staple P90s, and therefore marginally related to a DeArmond Model 2000/Dynasonic. Remember that when Gretsch first started using DeArmonds, they called it the Fidelatone. I imagine that’s the legacy they are tapping into by name, but it probably flies by the ‘new to Gretsch’ set that modern Streamliners seem to target.

I’m glad Gretsch has a single coil option at the low-end, now if they could only start offering a Dyna-type with Electros, but that ship seems to have sailed as Guild/Cordoba already took the modern DeArmond 2000 design.

So yup, G2622T, forge glow probably :)

A811A859-B246-4B9F-91C0-CF9232699F35.jpeg

Marv666, new6659, lordhelmet and 2 others like this.
  14. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I don't hate that finish. The plastics should be black. (I'm a well known despiser of cream colored plastic bits.)

-m

Ricochet and BorderRadio like this.
  15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It’s the only one I kinda like, but aye a B70. Jaguar Tan, gets no love ever. Cream knobs are fine for me, I don’t feel the need to grab cheap import, early 50s plain-t0p chromes.

Ricochet likes this.
  16. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I admit they don’t look bad though, I kinda like those plastic rings as well. They look like a sort of Harmony/Supro kind of thing.
    I presume that Fender is trying to stick his nose into that retro-looking guitars market.
    I have no idea of how they sound, but at this point I have plenty of options that already fill my needs that I bet they would hardly beat any of my stuff. :)

17. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I think the knobs look like they came from danelectro. I like danelectro, but their stuff does not belong to gretsch. Imo.

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m happy to see the Harmony/Kay connection, and it’s the fun-loving, chop-shop Streamliner series, keeping it kinda harmless since nobody can touch my Vintage Selects :)

The only thing I wish Gretsch would do with Streamliners is offer a thin, fully hollow design, with a B60 of course.

2DE53776-638B-414D-9CB6-4A86283CA3AD.jpeg

19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I like that they now sell a model without the Bigsby (for $100 less), the previous models with P-90s all had the B70 installed.

As to the size of the pickups, my understanding is that they have a shallow but wide bobbin as an important characteristic of the original design. Supposedly that is why HB-sized P-90s don't sound the same, they have more depth and less width. But I'm no expert.

I'm not wild about the new finishes but they obviously picked the colors to go with the cream colored plastic parts.

I love my G2622T-P90 in Phantom Metallic (matte silver and I've upgraded to chrome knobs) and from what I've seen and heard (Alberton's review) the new ones aren't any better. Just as good but not better.

Ricochet likes this.
  20. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I don't get the name, takes me in a strange direction:
    [​IMG]

azrielle, DennisC, mr coffee and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.