So... what amps do you use with your Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Alanqa, Jul 10, 2020.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Blackstar HTSTAGE60C - HT Stage 60 watt tube, 2x12" stage combo

Sounds like a mix between a Marshall and a Fender. I tried multiple amps, and this was my favorite.

Blackstar HT60.jpg

Marv666, Dave-B, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  2. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Savage Macht 12 and Bad Cat Cougar 5 (sadly the Chinese Bad Cat, but still sounds stellar) with some home made cabs.
    The Savage makes anything sound great. I love the Bad Cat, debated that and an AC4 when I purchased it.

Attached Files:

Marv666, Alanqa and thunder58 like this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    All of them :)

The Marshall types, Voxen, Blackstar Studio 10 KT-88 & OR50 are probably my favorites for rockin' stuff but the Fender-y ones & the Ampegs are amazing for cleaner, prettier stuff.

Jeff67, Alanqa and Waxhead like this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'd use any tube amp with a Gretsch but after owning and playing 100s over 30 years have settled on Mesa Boogie Mark V as the best amp ever made for anything with any guitar.

For practice and back-up I'm doing a Vox MV50 AC and a Roland Cube 60 re-amped with a Fryette Power Station :D

Alanqa and pmac11 like this.
  5. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    This is NOT a vintage Standel -- it's "new (10 years old). Either way a fabulous amp IMO.

Alanqa and loudnlousy like this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    A Tone Tubby 40/40. It's still pretty new...nice thick tone, hope it gets even better as it breaks in.

Cass, Alanqa, dougmon and 1 other person like this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The Mesa-siah speaks!!

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  8. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Well, today I used a Fender 1957 Twin reissue and an old Fender Reverb Unit. Sometimes I'll use a Matchless or a Top Hat or a Vibrolux. Pretty much anything.

[​IMG]

I use this 6160 that came with my 6120 quite a bit for the tremolo:

[​IMG]

Probably doesn't count but sometimes I run my Gretsches through an old Roland Space Machine I have had for a really long time. Not sure when these were made but a guy I know's older brother traded me this one he had bought in the 70s or 80s but never had a use for. I believe he said he got it to use in a PA system. It sounds great for guitar if you can find one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the weirdest thing I run it through is an old pair of mono Ampex tube tape machines when I want some crazy delay:

[​IMG]

All of these sound pretty awesome IMHO.

[​IMG]

wizard_23, Marv666, jm99 and 11 others like this.
  9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    @amp360 What's that console creeping into the frame? And I'm coming to your house! Space Echo and all!

My touring amp is the Quilter Micrpro Mach 2 12". It's lightweight, versatile, and damn reliable. But I've got an Epihpone Valve Senior and access to my wife's Blues Jr. in the studio.

IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2303.JPG

Marv666, jm99, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  10. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    My console has kind of a bit of history behind it. It's a DDA from the late 1980s. I bought it from the State of Massachusetts and it was in the Hatch Shell in Boston for about thirty years. Since it came from the State it was extremely well maintained and always had its service done and all of that. Sadly, when I won the auction it had been sitting in a flight case for a couple years and wasn't what it used to be. The good news is it came with two power supplies and tons of cabling.

I spent about a year building my new place then I spent a few months cleaning and recapping the entire console along with doing some mods and adding transformers on every channel. I also recapped both power supplies. The console weighs probably 1000lbs. I paid some friends of mine to drive it down to where I am and luckily the Hatch people had a forklift to get it into the truck. When it got to my place it sat in my storage unit until the room was ready for it.

If there was a place to post my entire build out thread here I would do it. I spent about a year building my studio. Basically, I wanted a place that sounded good, but more importantly I wanted a cool space that I would enjoy spending all day in and where clients would want to hang out and make music vs a perfectly designed room. Since I collect old things and generally like old things I reused as many materials as I could from the space. I didn't hire any electricians or contractors and did everything myself. My dad (who is in his 70s) did do the taping of the drywall for me. I also put in a bathroom, which was quite the project because my room is in a basement and didn't have a bathroom before. Luckily for me my grandfather was a master electrician in a General Electric plant and when I was a kid I would go on a lot of side jobs with him.

I spoke to a lot of people I trust about the room design (note - Never, and I mean never, take any advice from the internet folks about that stuff) and I used what I had learned in the acoustics classes I was forced to take in college. All in all the room sounds great and is fun to hang out in.

The whole buildout complete with adding a new panel and meter on the building (there is retail upstairs) costed me about $5000 and took a year. Everything is new including a slightly sloped concrete floor that took me 147 bags mixed and poured by hand.

Sorry for the rant.

Here is the console being cleaned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I got it all together a few of the meter lights didn't work, but the meters did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it looks now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, Marv666, jm99 and 7 others like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    "If it sounds good, it is good" ... Duke Ellington.
    Never forget it!

Dave-B, CalicoSkies and Alanqa like this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I played thru a friend's Blues Junior at a jam night. Great little amp.
    How do you like your Quilter?

Alanqa and amp360 like this.
  13. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

SF Princeton non-reverb

Alanqa and pmac11 like this.
  14. Timex

Timex Electromatic

Jul 10, 2020
    Southside Virginia
    Fender Champ XD, Vox Pathfinder and Roland Street cube. Just depends. Right now there's a Dano in the rack hooked to the Vox image0 (1).jpeg cause I've been noodling around on that one.

Marv666, Alanqa, oneforsorrow and 2 others like this.
  15. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    Some nice guitar rooms and amps. I especially like to see the Jazz Choruses. I've got a JC-120 that I rather love, though I don't normally gig with it. It's pretty much just for home or studio anymore--it's sooooo heavy.

Since I got my Gretch, it's mostly been played through my Tech 21 PE-60, most often with a Tech 21 Sansamp or HX Stomp out front. It's a great gig rig--the tones I need and doesn't weight too much.

Right before the pandemic broke, I picked up a Laney LFR 112. It sounds fantastic paired with the HX Stomp--but I've only been able to play it at home since the gigs dried up. My band was in the studio recording an album when the pandemic hit and we've decided to try to record the rest from our various homes (we're all capably of recording from home). Not sure what amps I'll use. We have three songs done, but six of eight more to record. Probably a little bit of everything. :)

Anyway, here it my Laney.

[​IMG]

Marv666, Alanqa, oneforsorrow and 3 others like this.
  16. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I like it quite a bit. It's lightweight, versatile, and sounds great. The big appeal was that my wife and I tour in an 1995 Winnebago Rialta. We've travel with a full PA (10" mains/8" monitors/mixer/cables/stands/etc.), 4 guitars (now 5 with my new Country Club), a keyboard, fiddle, all our merch, our dog, etc. I really needed something lightweight and versatile. We have to keep our weight down to travel safely in that RV.

That said, I think it's a great sounding amp! The voicings each have their own flavor and the two channels offer some great options. For example, I was running it for quite a while in the Tweed voice and I set up the "guitar" channel with the input pushed at about 2:00 and the Limiter engaged. It gave me a nice punchy, agressive sound that was at edge of breakup. It reinforced the focused nature of the enclosure and gave me a cool sound. Then I set the other channel up with the mids slightly scooped. There's zero compression in that channel as it bypasses the Limiter. And that gave a more wide open sound. Mix and match my drive pedals with each channel and it gave me a broad palette from which to work. I've also heavily used the Brown setting for a while but I'm currently experimenting with the Smooth and Surf settings. They each respond to the input a bit differently and it takes some time playing around with the settings (tone stack, Hi Cut, Limiter) to really find the magic spots in each one. The eq is very interactive and worth the time to play around finding the sound you want. The boost functions (Scoop, Bright, Loud) are dramatic. I'll likely never be in a position to use them as a boost. I just don't ever need that much change in my sound within a set let alone a single song. The Loud setting is too loud for my use but I'm in a duo and never have to play over anyone. That said, I did use it with the Loud setting on all the time for the tonal impact it had on the input of the Guitar channel. The drive settings are a tad stringent for me. The Crush is too over the top for my needs and the Cream is best used \ with the volume knob of my guitar down a touch. When it's dimed, it's too brash for me but when I've had my guitar volume down around 6-9, it's more usable and I've been able to get some good sounds out of it. There's a very usable Reverb and Tremolo that can keep things streamlined if that's your preference.. I played a very short set at an amazing festival last year and it was an easy grab and go gig for me without having to fuss with the backline gear. The Reverb and Tremolo built into the amp can't quite compete with what I get out of the Flint pedal so I usually don't use them but they're there if I need them though and definitely good enough to get the job done. The Reverb is a tad noisy but not enough to prohibit its use. The balanced line out is also a nice option to have. All in all, I'm very happy with it. I've used it for recording quite a bit as well.

pmac11, dougmon and amp360 like this.
  17. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Mainly these two set ups.

Cave Valley Single ended Plexi head, Clark reverb tank, Vox 1-12" cab with a. Celestion Gold.

20190108_163243.jpg

Or my AC10C1 into the Vox cab.

20190928_141207.jpg

Either are good sounding set ups.

The AC10C1VS actually sounds pretty darn good too.

20200118_231610.jpg

wizard_23, Marv666, ZackyDog and 6 others like this.
  18. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

It's only right , if you have a sea foam green Gretsch , you play it through a sea foam green amp
    100_2253.JPG

19. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

In the past few years most of my playing has been through a first generation Blues Jr (fixed up to not run so hot), a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb Re-issue or a Fender Super-Sonic 22W combo.

They all sound great and have their places - but this thread makes me want to power up my old Twin Reverb. It, sadly, hasn't seen much use lately.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  20. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.