"So There I Were..."

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jerzey Bob, Oct 12, 2021 at 8:41 AM.

1. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Practicing,,, "When upon a sudden" I noticed my dear, sweet Gretchin' dusty, yes, dusty. Sacrilege!!! Blasphemy, even!!! But then to mine eye, I also became aware of wear. "Where?", you may ask? There!!! Does this mean I'm doing it right??? :cool:

IMG-20211012-01401.jpg IMG-20211012-01402.jpg

Archtops likes this.
  2. kbps320

kbps320 Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    Vermont
    I usually get that because I just use my fingernails to pick. I've never really noticed pick dust from when I use a pick.
    image0.jpeg

Duo Slinger and Jerzey Bob like this.
  3. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I'm using the pick only. There's a song I play on my other guitar that's a "finger picker", but, I use the ends of my fingers, not the nail.

As I get more better, my strumming is getting pretty aggressive, so I think the pick is certainly the culprit. Either that, or I'm knockin' the nickel clean off the strings. :cool:

MrWookiee, Duo Slinger and Jeff67 like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    There wolf :D

sgarnett, new6659, MrWookiee and 5 others like this.
  5. Pick dust drives me nuts. I use a blue chip pick that’s the same size as when I got it. Has a bevel already built in for my style. I can tell within minutes that I am using another standard pick as there is dust around the pickups.

Henry and Jerzey Bob like this.
  6. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Their wolf?

thunder58 likes this.
  7. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I got a handful of these Dunlops from @larryr in a freebie care package. I like the feel of them. Noticed a difference instantly from the Jagex "cool" picks I was using. I'll deal w/ the dust. I'm allowed 1 idiot post a week & this is it. Any more than that & @thunder58 throws stuff at me.

bhatta, thunder58 and freddyfingers like this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Gee life's too short to worry about a little bit of dust.
    I'm more worried about pet dander and nuclear fallout - now that could be a problem.

Duo Slinger, Jerzey Bob and Jeff67 like this.
  9. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Nuclear fallout is not good for a pickup’s magnet. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

MrWookiee, Duo Slinger and Jerzey Bob like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Voof!"

new6659, thunder58 and Jerzey Bob like this.
  11. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Not worried. Just havin' fun. The songs I'm piecing together have some pretty cool strumming chops in it. I can only pray "Kreepy Karen" gets an office job. I RRREALLLY wanna hear this stuff jacked in at seismic levels. :cool:

*prays*

As I lay my head to sleep, I pray for Karen not to Kreep-
    And should I gain the skills of "wow"-
    I'm gonna crank it anyhow-

Gretschtim1 and Duo Slinger like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    This was my pun intended :p

13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Nothing is ever really "dust free". The obvious solution is to only play Angus Young style, running and shaking all over the place so the dust can never settle.
    That, and my metal thumbpick doesn't really give off dust. That also works.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  14. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    lol A timeless classic.

I'd go thru a pick guard a week w/ a metal pick. ;)

Duo Slinger and thunder58 like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    One of my favorite movies of all time. Mel Brooks has three films in AFI's Top 100. Along with YF, "The Producers" and "Blazing Saddles" are some of the funniest movies I've ever seen. YF is likely the only one of the three that could be made today, thanks to the PC police.

Just watched the original 1931 "Frankenstein" with my 10YO grandson Saturday on "Svengoolie". Once we watch "The Bride of Frankenstein", he'll have the background to 'get' all of Young Frankenstein. Looking forward to that day.

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Even Jerry Seinfeld says that PC has destroyed comedy. People are too tight-ass these days. If we can't laugh at ourselves then it becomes a boring world.

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It upsets them when you laugh at them. Personally, I find myself hilarious.

Archtops, Duo Slinger and Gretschtim1 like this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Poor little snow flakes.
    All the best comedians knew how to laugh at themselves.
    Laurel and Hardy, 3 Stooges, Marx Brothers, the whole cast of Seinfeld, Mel Brooks, Lucy & Ricky, Dean & Jerry, Redd Fox, George Carlin, etc. Today not so much. Too many rules today...sad.

Stefan87 likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's gone downhill since Letterman and Ferguson left the airwaves. Most late night guys are just too politically oriented. Thankfully, they're still making new "Whose Line Is It" shows.

Stefan87 and Gretschtim1 like this.
  20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Guys like Johnny Carson and Jay Leno knew how to tell a political joke and keep it fun. The guys today are down right rude and are into personal attacks. Let's be honest that's not all that funny to most people. When Chevy Chase imitated President Ford's clumsiness it was funny and even President Ford could laugh at it. Dana Carvey did a great skit of President Bush and Bush loved it. The comedians today think it's funny to slander someone's character. There's nothing funny about that it's low class trash. That's why late night ratings have crashed since Leno retired.

MrWookiee and Stefan87 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.